PDA

View Full Version : A Few Bowls

Little Festo
3rd January 2009, 06:47 PM
Hello All,

Hope you have all had a good Christmas and New Year. I'm finally getting over a bit of illness, been difficult as I rarely get sick, must be a sign of old age.

here a few pieces I've finally got finished, off to the Gallery tomorrow so the photos are a bit rushed. One of the flashes needs repair so I was a light down, not the best.

The first piece is a carved Bloodwood bowl. Approx 250mm in diameter.

The next two are Chilian Myrtle. The first approx 200mm in diameter, the second approx 230mm. Both are "gold leafed" inside. Both pieces were made using a tilt axis chuck (Kelton). The chuck is a monster, approx 25-30 kg and needs to on a substantial latheThe first piece actually utilised the tilt axis and some "off-centering". Not too sure about these, they change quite noticably when viewed from different angles.

The last platter shaped piece is Red Cedar, approx 440mm in diameter. It's oval as the piece continued to dry after the carving was done. It was dried out for approx 2-3 months after the carving was finished. The bowl shape is also a "wavey edge" shape.

All are finished in semi matte lacquer.

Peter

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd January 2009, 07:07 PM
Love the carving on the first and the rim treatment on the third. Very effective! :2tsup:

Do you have any more photos of the two Chilean Myrtle ones from different angles? They intrigue me...

And how about some photos of the Kelton chuck? Is it anything like the Escoulon eccentric chuck? I've tried googling, but can only find Kelton's balancer and/or angleplate. :C

new_guy90
3rd January 2009, 07:13 PM
wow your work is very good i like the tilting axis it gives a very striking appearance oh and the carving is great :2tsup:
how did you do the gold leaf? looks cool but how did you get the colour?

very nice work thanks for showing :2tsup:

Patrick

Little Festo
3rd January 2009, 07:21 PM
Skew.

See attached image. I will post a photo of the chuck next week. It's actually two chucks, a tilt axis and an off-centre/eccentric one. In some ways it's a bit more primative than the Escoulon eccentric chuck. Attachment is via a face plate but it will turn larger pieces. Has the Escoulon chuck got jaws??

I was a bit concerned about turning the first piece but it all went ok. I kept the revs down and it was sweet.

Peter

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd January 2009, 07:28 PM
Sweet!

To the best of my knowledge, the Escoulon is a cup chuck. ie. you turn a tenon of a specified size, dampen it then drive it into the cup. I think it will also take a faceplate.

edit: found this video by Stu in Tokyo: YouTube - New Escoulen Eccentric Chuck

Fredo
3rd January 2009, 08:07 PM
Peter,
Love the unusual, the bowls especially with the subtle touches on the rim and the gold leaf. You must do more offset/off axis bowls, fabulous work.

Fredo :U

artme
3rd January 2009, 08:09 PM
Great work LF!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The bowls show off the grains well and are not overdone.

Ad de Crom
3rd January 2009, 08:30 PM
Peter, really great work.
The Chilean mirtle bowls are eyecatchers, love the decoration on the top.
Ad :2tsup:

dai sensei
3rd January 2009, 09:08 PM
Your work never ceases to amaze me Peter, always unusual and unique :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
3rd January 2009, 09:22 PM
great work :2tsup::2tsup: specially like the carving work - really sets and finishes them off

The off-centre turnings are interesting and thanks for posting Stu's video, Skew. Another piece of equipment I must have. Only to play with for a while and leave on a shelf somewhere :)

powderpost
3rd January 2009, 09:36 PM
Well done. You have stepped outside the square and created four unique bowls. :2tsup:
Jim

Willy Nelson
3rd January 2009, 11:44 PM
Peter
They are excellent, I am new to this forum but will be keeping an eye out for your work
Regards
Willy

masoth
4th January 2009, 12:03 AM
Magnificent work - I wish I had half the skill needed, and I was fascinated by the video too.

soth

Ed Reiss
4th January 2009, 12:47 AM
LF.....WOW:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Harry72
4th January 2009, 07:48 PM
Your work never ceases to amaze me Peter, always unusual and unique :2tsup:

Agree with that:cool: