PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Fun report

Pat
3rd January 2009, 07:28 PM
I have a book on the lathe (wanders off to the library) "Learn to Turn" by Barry Goss and in it had a simple explanation of Turned Boxes. So, whilst contemplating my navel, I thought to myself, "Self, how about having a go at these Turned boxes" So I did, grabbed offcuts that where lying around the shed and had a go. Learnt by my mistakes, especially to turn down the speed when using the 35 Bormax Forstner bit :doh:, use the "Little Hughie" Oland tool to enlarge the hole and not to go too, blessed thin on the walls.

Unfortunately I overcompensated on the lids for the She Oak and Jarrah Boxes, only bu 1mm but you cannot lift the entire box by it's lid. The Jarrah is the first bit of the "Great Jarrah Migration of '08"

I also finished a Jarrah Burl Lamp as well . . .

One thing, hollowing burls is fun:roll:

artme
3rd January 2009, 08:00 PM
All good fun and part of the learning curve Pat!

At least you can analize what is going on and that is valuable for future reference.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
3rd January 2009, 08:58 PM
Pat
I think you are copying my work :o

pic 6 looks a lot like something I made today :D

seems you had fun in the shed :2tsup:

I too tried the "Little Hughie" for the first time today, worked well until I got over ambitious :doh:

Pat
3rd January 2009, 09:02 PM
Pat
I think you are copying my work :o

pic 6 looks a lot like something I made today :D

seems you had fun in the shed :2tsup:

The ones John West rejected is the title to pic no 6. Very interesting having the base decide that it's had enough and it splits and charges through the shed. Full face shield required, I copped a couple of the fragments on the brow. No harm to me, but the Face Shield has paid for it self many time over.

Ed Reiss
4th January 2009, 12:59 AM
Practice makes perfect!! (old cliche' but still effective)