PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Show 2009

funkychicken
4th January 2009, 07:44 PM
Only 5 months to go!

Bluegum
5th January 2009, 03:36 PM
So that's about 150 or so days there funky, but its not like your counting them eh mate..... Don't worry I was only thinking about the show the other day myself so thanks for reminder mate.

artme
6th January 2009, 08:11 PM
Bugger! That long?:D:D:D

Bluegum
6th January 2009, 08:54 PM
Gives a few extra days to save for new tool/s that I maybe chasing.

Soni10
10th February 2009, 12:14 PM
Hi There

Could someone please tell me where I can get information about the 2009 Brisbane Timber/Working with Wood Show? (dates, location, comps, entry procedure etc)

Thanks

Soni

KevM
10th February 2009, 01:12 PM
Here's a link (http://www.eee.net.au/showwood.php?id=brisbane) to details on the Brisbane Show.

Perhaps the mods or Neil if he is back, should look at changing the link above?

Soni10
10th February 2009, 01:42 PM
Fantastic. Thank you very much!

Soni

DJ’s Timber
10th February 2009, 07:41 PM

Link fixed :2tsup:

SitCo Australia
18th February 2009, 05:07 PM
Only 5 months to go!

Do you know what's happening to the Bris Wood working show is it still on? do you know who are the organisers are? coz apparently dmg are no longer hosting the show.

Cheers
Brian

KevM
18th February 2009, 05:14 PM
Do you know what's happening to the Bris Wood working show is it still on? do you know who are the organisers are? coz apparently dmg are no longer hosting the show.

Cheers
Brian

DMG sold the rights to the show Australia-wide prior to September last year, here is a link (http://www.eee.net.au/contact.php) to contact details for the new owner.

DJ’s Timber
18th February 2009, 05:16 PM

Cheers
Brian

The link KevM posted has all the details :;

Here's a link (http://www.eee.net.au/showwood.php?id=brisbane) to details on the Brisbane Show.

EEE (http://www.eee.net.au/index.php) are now the Hosts for the Timber Shows

maddog 62
25th February 2009, 01:17 PM
what! a 5 whole months

damian
25th February 2009, 01:22 PM
22-24 May. 3 months now. :)

maddog 62
26th February 2009, 11:41 PM
opps
i should start looking at the date of the post
:doh:

funkychicken
4th April 2009, 10:27 PM
Not long now!

eisbaer
5th April 2009, 11:45 PM
maleny show is early may funkychicken... It might keep you sane till the brisbane show.

funkychicken
2nd May 2009, 11:01 PM
20 days!

dai sensei
3rd May 2009, 07:29 PM
Quite a few of the smaller exhibitioners have pulled out, so it will be interesting how many there actually will be there. I don't think I'll be going for all 3 days as usual, but will be there for at least one.

The web site also only indicates there is a competition at the Sydney show, but not Brisbane :?. I wanted to enter my last Budgeroo/Bonewood bowl/box

justinmcf
10th May 2009, 04:50 PM
hi, i have never been to the wood working show in brisbane.

can someone please tell me what the address is?

regards, justin.

mjmjm
10th May 2009, 06:34 PM
Showgrounds. Gregory Terrace.

justinmcf
10th May 2009, 06:54 PM
if someone could give me a proper address, i would really appreciate it, i am not originally from gold coast, or australia. i am from ireland, but i still call australia home!

regards, justin.

Greg Ward
12th May 2009, 09:06 AM
Mal is packing up the truck now, thicknessing and selecting cedar, rosewood, huon, red gum, jarrah, burls etc..
Anyone wanting anything special taken to the show on 'spec' call him on 0416 097827
Regards
Greg

mjmjm
12th May 2009, 07:16 PM
Hi Justin,
The RNA Showgrounds are between Gregory Terrace and St Paul's Terrace, down the Brookes Street end. That's very close to the city. Try this website:

http://www.eee.net.au/showwood.php?id=brisbane

Michael

justinmcf
13th May 2009, 07:48 PM
thanks for the reply mjmjm. so thats cnr st pauls terrace and brooke st, fortitude valley.

cheers, justin.

soundman
14th May 2009, 12:07 AM
Unfortunately for the first time in quite a few years I wont be there......I'll be somewhere north, hopefully catching a barra, or a jack or at least a decent bream or grunter.

I'll have to catch up with you all at other times.

cheers

RufflyRustic
14th May 2009, 09:34 AM
:oo: done over for fishing!! :oo:

Have fun Soundman :)

Cliff Rogers
14th May 2009, 09:35 AM
I'll be there Friday & Saturday.

I wasn't going to be but now I am.

You'll find me at the coffe stand at about 10:30am & 2:30pm.

Look for the Forum Cap & a Forum Shirt.

soundman
14th May 2009, 11:00 AM
:oo: done over for fishing!! :oo:

Have fun Soundman :)

Actualy i'm goiung north to vistit relatives too... most of whom fish:D

So i am afraid i'll have to deligate my usual responsibilities.

As long as they are agreeable.

Dai Sensai will make cheerfull comments I would other wise make.

Ruffly, you can "oo", "ahh" and druel over timber on my behalf.

And all those attending can feel free to make unnecessary bargin purchases that I would normaly make... unfortunatly you will have to use your own money.... but you can keep the items:D
So there is your excuse......I baught it because Soundman wasn't there to buy it.

cheers

dai sensei
14th May 2009, 09:33 PM
Sorry to hear you wont be there Soundman. Does that mean I'll have to cook more muffins than usual? :U

I'll be there Friday I hope for the good timber, depends on work. Saturday is a maybe, so is Sunday, alll depends on work Friday and no of stalls there. If stalls are limitted, I probably only go the one day.

derekh
14th May 2009, 10:01 PM
I was going Saturday but I've been coerced into dropping an Avocado for a friend. I'm unsure of the true dimensions but he tells me it's 60 foot high. So it's Friday or Sunday for me atm.

LogDog
15th May 2009, 03:04 PM
Hi everyone, glad to hear you are all reved up for the Brisbane Timber and Working with Wood Show. I will be there with bells on and hope to catch up with you all there.
Again this year We will be supplying the countrys best Queensland Maple selection in the form of :-
Boards
Turning and Carving blanks
and Slabs
Also many box makers delights.
If anyone wants pen blanks please let me know I have a mountain of seasoned, highly figured pen blanks in Queensland Maple. Ph: 0409272687

This year I will also be the proud host of an indoor site showing off the beautiful products that different wood artisians of South East Queensland have made out of my Queensland Maple. Exciting stuff! :;
See you there! :B
Laura Lou
Log Dog Enterprises

TEEJAY
18th May 2009, 06:48 PM
Hmm aren't we very quiet for only a few days from the show.

I will be there Thursday and have on my list a Vermec deep bowl tool and sander thingy too for lathe :D

SWMBO will come along to make sure I am fiscally responsible - so I must find a way into toilets and a secret way out to sneak off for above purchases :D

wolften
18th May 2009, 09:06 PM
...I'll be there Friday or Sat'dy, not sure yet. Mainly looking at all sorts of routering gear and accessories.

Glenn

switt775
19th May 2009, 10:44 AM
Just got an email from Northwood confirming their presence at the Brisbane show, BUT also informing that they will be acting as agents for Timbecon, as Timbecon will not be there.

TEEJAY
19th May 2009, 10:48 AM
Just got an email from Northwood confirming their presence at the Brisbane show, BUT also informing that they will be acting as agents for Timbecon, as Timbecon will not be there.

Might be a quiet show this year - certainly hope the weather is better than it is now. Appreciate the rain but not there :)

I also hope there isn't an abundance of wonder-mop type stalls there to replace any wood related absent. :rolleyes:

RufflyRustic
19th May 2009, 02:19 PM

SWMBO will come along to make sure I am fiscally responsible - so I must find a way into toilets and a secret way out to sneak off for above purchases :D

Need a decoy TeeJay? :D

TEEJAY
19th May 2009, 05:49 PM
Need a decoy TeeJay? :D

Thanks Wendy,

Do hope they have some furniture stuff there on display as this is the sorta thing she will enjoy whilst I look at gadgets and buy a couple :D

I got a vicmarc VL200 a little while back and an oval turner for it so now want the Vermec hollowing tool to use with it - will get it anway - just more fun to pretend I need to be sneaky :p

I am looking forward to the show and do hope I am not too disappointed with a noticeable lack of displays but believe it is a real possibility these days - should have a look see how the Sydney one went.

dai sensei
19th May 2009, 07:46 PM
..I will be there Thursday ...

Bit early Teejay :?

TEEJAY
20th May 2009, 11:32 AM
Bit early Teejay :?

BUGRRR :doh::doh::doh:

That's what you get for being away all the time then assuming - weren't they always thursday till sunday before now ?? :?

Thanks Neil - I was going tomorrow :-

Have to wait till Friday now - shame is thursday has son in daycare and would have been a nice quiet affair. Friday has son in tow. Took him once before and it was very difficult - don't imagine it to be any different now - oh well - I am still going.

Mind you by the sound of the rain outside tomorrow will most likely be still very wet - hopefully Friday a bit better.

Are you there Friday?

dai sensei
20th May 2009, 08:10 PM
Always been Fri/Sat/Sun to my memory, but craft set in years ago :-

Yep, I'll be there Friday, and Saturday if it is good. The rain will stuff the outside areas, and lack of stall holders may put a damper on the whole show this year :(

TEEJAY
20th May 2009, 08:54 PM
Always been Fri/Sat/Sun to my memory, but craft set in years ago :-

Yep, I'll be there Friday, and Saturday if it is good. The rain will stuff the outside areas, and lack of stall holders may put a damper on the whole show this year :(

Supposed to be wet, wild and windy on Friday - I am still going.

Will bring along some PNG highland pen blanks that give a nice golden shimmer for you to take and play with.

I always used to say first day was pensioners, second day was school kids and nervous stall holders then the weekend.

So on your basis I suppose Friday must be a mix of pensioners and nervous stall holders and anxious security keeping an eye on the school kids with quick hands.

See you Friday.

dai sensei
20th May 2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks Teejay :2tsup:

I go Friday as it is the best for those rare special bits of timber. Saturday is best for Forum members, but the most crowded, Sunday is best for left-over specials late in the day :U

A-Marks
21st May 2009, 10:34 AM
Does anyone know if the Show is a goer? I ask as I'm coming down from the country Looking forward to getting some of logdogs maple have in the past and didnt regret it - after all if we put in all the effort to make something of beauty we might as well use beautiful timber then half the battle is one Just have to do it justice !!

Greg Ward
21st May 2009, 04:46 PM
Spoke to Mal at Boutique Timbers who is setting up and he said that is is all go.
He also said that there are around 7 timber exhibitors this year..... so plenty of choice there.
Regards
Greg

TEEJAY
23rd May 2009, 08:56 AM
Well, went to the show yesterday and caught up with several forumites, amongst them Wayne, Funky Chicken, Daiseni, Cliff and some others - many of whom were hauling hefty loads of ebony - I was hunting the ivory though :D

Had a nice day - it wasn't so crowded but still a respectable crowd and many spending. I was mainly interested in buying some things from Vermec and got a deep hollowing tool, drill extension, lathe sanding handtool, lathe drill chuck etc and whilst there for only 10 minutes Enzo managed to sell two Stubby lathes at around $6.5K each so he was pretty happy and quite distracted taking deposits on orders. Goodluck to them.

I did go along with SWMBO and 4yo son so did not find myself sitting in on any demonstrations but have seen several before eg Gifkins box making. Maybe next year some more lathe demos. Did see a little of Vermecs demo on the hollowing tool.

The show had the usual fancy floor mops and paint tin lids and glue dispensors but no big deal really.

Slab timbers outside were plentiful enough with usual suppliers and I did manage my annual Huon pine purchase - will scroll something for our house this time :) SWMBO picked a nice piece - more expensive than i would have paid.

Anyway 4 hours quickly went and for me it was a nice day out. People there seemed pretty relaxed and focused on their hobby and enjoying themselves. The school kids all seem to have adopted themselves a small turned baseball bat :rolleyes: and proud of their weapons.

Have a good weekend there to one and all.

Pat
23rd May 2009, 10:01 AM
Hopefully Enzo makes the trip south this year as Carbatec rarely has any of the Vermec gear, that I want, in stock.

dai sensei
23rd May 2009, 08:10 PM
Just got back from the show. I went Friday & got caught in the queue, but today no problems thanks to steps Liz took (and for me pre-purchasing ticket anyway).

Caught up with heaps of forumites on both days. probably 70-75% of storeholders to past years, but still plenty to look at and bargains to be had.

Big purchases for me were sets of Magswitch featherboards and fence combo sets; Vermec deep hollowing tool set (dam you Teejay :U:U) and sanding attachments for the Dremmel type tool (little wheels with fingers of different grades for sanding carving & detailed work etc). Other purchases included steel to make my minature turning tool set, natural earth magnets, various grinding & cutting attachements, resin pen blanks (some really good new ones made by a local :2tsup:).

Oh yeh, and just a little timber :rolleyes: - Coolabah burl, red mallee burl, purple gidgee, sandalwood, york gum, brigalow and a fair bit of that queen ebony from the Solomons :U (like I need more timber :doh:). I was also given a heap of timber pen blanks from various forumites - thanks guys.

Sorry to Jim (CWS) for lack of my usual cakes, I only had a half dozen lamingtons to share around this year :- and Christopher scoffed the last one while Jim wasn't looking :U. I was under the impression he and others weren't going to be there, so I didn't bring the usual few dozen. I'll have to make up for it at the Melbourne show.

eisbaer
23rd May 2009, 08:12 PM
I went friday and picked up some mallee burl, some of that solomon ebony and some birdseye huon. Was disappointed that gary pye and addictive pens weren't there but i still managed to spend plenty of money.

I was very happy to see bruce from woodnworkshop there. His resin pen blanks seemed to be going very well indeed. He certainly has some unique ones and i found myself walking away with a stack of them and a lighter wallet. :)

I caught a few demos and had a chat with some of the exhibitors. All in all a very good day. Glad to see that despite economic woes there were plenty of people there. I'm heading in tomorrow to see about a dust extractor. Hoping that i'll pick up a bargain late in the day. If not i'm gonna see about the proforme hollower :)

TEEJAY
23rd May 2009, 09:13 PM
Big purchases for me were sets of Magswitch featherboards and fence combo sets; Vermec deep hollowing tool set (dam you Teejay :U:U)

You'll thank me later :D

I really enjoyed this year - would have liked to have seen some turning demos; but hey I have started eyeing the 2010 turning symposium already :D:wink::D

schaf
23rd May 2009, 09:42 PM
I was disappointed. A lot less stall holders spaced out to fill up the space..I do not see why it has to be bulked up with stalls selling massage chairs, steam cleaners and paint things etc.

RufflyRustic
23rd May 2009, 10:53 PM
I had an absolutely Fantastic Time! WhoooHOOO what a DAY!!!

I caught up with DerekH and Leeann, Just George, Neil, Texx, Munruben and Liz, Dai Sensei, Cliff, Tom, Star, Fireman Sam, Crow400 and his lovely wife and quite a few others, as well as a couple of Lurkers. Had a ball chatting with LogDg - and you guys thought I was wood mad :D:D

I bought some interesting pieces of red ash, rosegum, NG walnut, some very rustic rosewood, a spalted bit of river oak and a small piece of the solomon ebony. Stocked up on UBeaut's Water Dyes, a few hinges and such and finally splurged on a Dremel, which HWMNBO promptly absconded with when I got home:rolleyes: Should have bought two :cool:

What a day!! Then I somehow ended up in West End trying to get back to Towong - darn roadworks, traffic and lack of adequate signage!!!!! Finally made my way out of BrisLostDom and back home.

While there were a few less stalls than last year, it has changed. Some things are the same, somethings are a lot different and a few thingsare particularly great - the signs, the chairs, having undercover seating and there are more.

Cheers
Wendy

funkychicken
23rd May 2009, 11:58 PM
I planned on going Friday and today but Friday was more than enough. The show was a ripper. First thing I did was try and find Chris Vesper, but he wasn't there:~ Oh well, I had a good long to to the Felder man, Trent Powrie, Colen Clenton, Raf and Linda Nathan. It's amazing how many people know "FunkyChicken":rolleyes:

I only bought $18 worth of Coolabah burl and Queen Ebony. No more, I swear (Not a word Carl:wink:)
I thought about going Saturday to catch up with all the Frumites but decided to stay and clean Artme's shed and fix his bandsaw instead.

The forum meeting place wasn't. I saw plenny of people in it but no Frumites. How about an actual stand for the Frumites so we can show off our stuff?

You put on a good show Liz:2tsup:

whitewood
24th May 2009, 08:10 AM
I arrived at the showgrounds and didn't realise there were 4 shows running. After a lengthy walk from the car park (I have crook knees) I found the entrance. My only other experience at a Show was in Canberra 2 year ago. I had enjoyed it and I was expecting something bigger and better. It wasn't and I was disappointed
I was disappointed that I did not see any forumites. I wore my shirt and was there for over 3 hours in the afternoon. None of the stall holders recoginised it either.
I went with the express intention of buying a 'good' thicknesser. 1 stall had none on display and the staff were 'metal workers' and couldn't explain finer points from their catologue. There were 2 others stalls that had something close to what I needed but in the end none ticked all the boxes. I ended up confused & fed up and left late without buying what I came for. All in all a disappointing journey given the driving involved.
I do have to admit the prices on offer were good.
John

weisyboy
24th May 2009, 08:44 AM
[QUOTE=funkychicken;961145]

I only bought $18 worth of Coolabah burl and Queen Ebony. No more, I swear (Not a word Carl:wink:)
QUOTE]

it may only $18 worth but you paid $60 for it. plus delivery:;

twas a good show i admit a lot thinner than the last. lotas empty space especialy outside.

spent way to mutch money but thats why i wass there. now i gotta spend today playing wiht my bits and peices

rhancock
24th May 2009, 09:02 AM
It's amazing how many people know "FunkyChicken":rolleyes:

There really aren't that many 16 year old woodworkers out there...

TEEJAY
24th May 2009, 10:41 AM
There really aren't that many 16 year old woodworkers out there...
Even 38 is pretty young amongst a bunch of greybeards in lumber-shirts :)

artme
24th May 2009, 11:14 AM
Maybe my thoughts about the show are coloured by the fact that I had no real imperative to spend. Ana and I intend to go to Brasil for 12 months and to buy would have been a sad waste.

Lack of exhibitors was a little disappointing , but the extra floor space was a boon as it was much easier to move around. Did pick up a few ideas and had a chat with Bruce from Wood N Workshop. Great bloke and a really interesting range of his home brew acrylic blanks was on sale.

Caught up with a few forumites and for me that was the highlight.

As Funky said he helped me with some shed clean-up on Saturday and between us we got the bandsaw nicely tuned. So now I have floor space and a bandsaw that is working very well.

Bluegum
24th May 2009, 01:55 PM
Great show and best part for me was catching up with and finally being able to meet those from the forum that I did. I am sure there were others I missed but those of you I met were awesome. Could have spent more than I should have but what I got was enough for me.:2tsup:

dai sensei
24th May 2009, 04:34 PM
...I was disappointed that I did not see any forumites. I wore my shirt and was there for over 3 hours in the afternoon...John

Gee John, sorry I missed you, I certainly ran into more than I can mention (or at least they ran into me :U). There was morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea out in the eating area with at least 1 table full of members each time for around an hour or so.

..The forum meeting place wasn't. I saw plenny of people in it but no Frumites

Myself and Cliff spoke to Liz about the stall. She is going to set up a better one next year. I suggested some of us could bring in a computer and run a forum info site similar to the one we had at the Melbourne show for the past couple of years with volunteers to man it. Up to Neil to give Ok, but I'm available to help.

weisyboy
24th May 2009, 05:28 PM
i also think a woodwork forums manned stall would be good and i am more than happy to help.

a computer with net access and a diplay of things made by forumites would be good.

eisbaer
24th May 2009, 06:20 PM
just came back from my second day at the show. Purchased a dust extractor at last. Bought some more resin blanks from bruce (i think i have one of each kind now), some more huon and a bit more solomon ebony.

Didn't run into any forumites on either day. Kept looking out for shirts but didn't see anyone wearing them. Too busy spending money. :)

Only bad thing is having to wait another year :(

brisbanefitter
24th May 2009, 07:47 PM
1 stall had none on display and the staff were 'metal workers' and couldn't explain finer points from their catologue.

That seems odd at a woodworking show. which stand was that?
Out of interest, what "boxes" need to be ticked on a thicknesser to meet your criteria?

Andy Mac
24th May 2009, 07:58 PM
Well I finally made it to a wood show, managed a couple of hours there this morning. Lots to see, although the one demo I was interested in, with froe and shaving horse sitting there expectantly, didn't eventuate, despite the signage:(
There was some great stuff on sale, but I'm in no position to buy much, even if I had room to put it! So was really just there for a perve....I did weaken and bought a $6 lump of huon and the same amount of that lovely Solomon ebony. Looking forward to shaping that! Also grabbed a couple of el cheapo rifflers, fine ones.
I wore my cap but didn't see any others- or forum t-shirts, except for someone out front desperately trying to unload a ticket...just after I bought one.

Cheers,

whitewood
25th May 2009, 08:41 AM
That seems odd at a woodworking show. which stand was that?
Out of interest, what "boxes" need to be ticked on a thicknesser to meet your criteria?

brisbanefitter,
It was the Hare & Forbes stall. The guys tried really hard but I wanted too much detail. I run a Havco T 13 and wanted to upgrade to something suitable to my specific needs. They did offer me show deals on Monday if I wanted to visit the main show room on Monday and see their machines. Not really practical given where I live.

I bought the T13 over 2 years ago on ebay mainly for my persomal use. I had planned to sell my Paulownia mainly as rough sawn timber. This has not been the case and much of my timber is sold dressed to non standard sizes. The T13 does an excellant job but it is too time consuming and as the volume of customers has increased it has become necessary to upgrade. My business is small and does not warrant a large industrial machine so I was looking at machines below $2,000.00 as 1 of these would meet all my needs.

My problem on Saturday was that all the features I wanted were available but not in one machine. The really important ones were common to all machines eg. 3 cutter blades, able to sharpen blades, 2 speeds, good feed system etc.
Other features I considered important were not common to all machines eg.
Mobility of the machine, digital gauge, ease of changing blades, ease to raise the blades, whether the blades came down or the table went up, dimensions of the timber it would take, minimum thickness of the dressed timber, power requirements, and the weight of the machine for unloading purposes. These features were important to me to varying degrees. I still haven't settled on a machine but at this point of time I am considering mainly the 2 Carba-Tec models that were on display at the show. Carba-tec show price was not much better than cataloge and I would rather get what I really need than rush to save a few dollars and end up with something that does not work for me

Whitewood

Cliff Rogers
25th May 2009, 09:18 AM
I'm back, what did I miss?

I had a good time, went 2 days, didn't but anything at all on Friday other than coffee(s) & a hamburger.

Met heaps of forum members, several without caps or shirts found the ones who were in caps &/or shirts. :2tsup:

I got to meet Stuart & bought some of the Magswitch gear he was demonstrating.
It will work well now that I have a saw with a good metal table.
I can't post a thank you in Rocker's For Sale thread 'cos it is already closed but I spent a couple of hours at his place Thursday packing up his saw & the jigs to go with it.
Thanks Rocker & thanks to Mrs. Rocker for lunch. :2tsup:

brisbanefitter
25th May 2009, 09:32 PM
its a pity you ent all that way whitewood, and went home frustrated and confused.
I can understand the Hare and Forbes stall being metalworkers, it is their main business in the metalworking industry from machine tools such as lathes and mills through to sheetmetal stuff, not so much on the woodworking side, but at least they tried to help I guess.

you should be able to find a thicknesser that does most of what you want for under 2k, not so sure about the head lowering rather than the table rising, but im no thicknesser expert (just look at my username).

Perhaps, if you want to give h&f one last try you could call the head office in sydney and maybe there might be somebody there who knows woodwork, there must be somebody within the organisation that understands it given there is a range of machines on offer, just a thought.

I hope you get something that suits your needs in the end, better to search a bit then as you say buy something that isnt quite right.

one last thing, if you do speak to the Sydney office and get the answers you need, and want to go with the hare and forbes offering, I would probably call the brisbane office and see if you can still get the show price, they are usually pretty good like that

whitewood
26th May 2009, 08:51 AM
brisbanefitter
Thanks for the suggestions and offer of help. I have decided to go with a Carba-Tec CTJ-381. It ticks most of the boxes and the big thing it has over Hare & Forbes is that it has built in wheels so I can move it in my shed if I have to for any reason. I can also buy it in Murwillumbah and delivery is much cheaper.
whitewood

Jim Carroll
26th May 2009, 01:46 PM
Only bad thing is having to wait another year :(

Dont have to wait that long as their will be another show there in November this year.
Have a look here (http://www.handsonexpo.com.au/brisbane)

Cliff Rogers
26th May 2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks Jim, I have put it on my calender it is the weekend before one of my son's birthdays so I have a chance of making it. :2tsup:

Stuart
26th May 2009, 03:05 PM
Hey Wendy - there was someone there you forgot you met (or were we meant to keep that a secret?)

As to no forumites - I was there all Sat and Sun, so there was at least one!

I had a good time - it was really interesting seeing a different show - different stands, different people, different timbers etc! Came away with as much ebony that I could fit into my bags for the plane (and even then they almost didn't let me fly with the amount I had in my carry on baggage - guess they thought I might be a threat!)

Looking forward to the next show, wherever that happens to be.

btw Whitewood - good choice ;)

eisbaer
26th May 2009, 05:19 PM
i'd heard of the november show but it seems details are still a bit sketchy. I understand gary pye will be there but other than him i don't know who will be present. I hope it doesn't end up being a watered down version of the may show. Are you gonna be there jim?

Stuart
26th May 2009, 05:41 PM
Not sure if anyone knows who will be present yet, but I'm certainly looking forward to it, as it is attempting a different approach (and is not run by the same organisers). I might be in a small minority, but I don't actually see it as competition to the EEE run show, but both complement the other and overall if it further promotes the industry / hobby etc then all benefit.

Like any new venture, it may take a little while to get established and build up, but I would like to see it supported, both by businesses in exhibiting, and by the punters by attending. 1 show a year isn't enough anyway, so this is one way we can get at least a couple a year in each city!

Jim Carroll
26th May 2009, 06:13 PM
Yes we will be there already pencilled in.

Christopha
26th May 2009, 06:45 PM
As Jims UBeaut consultant (insultant?) I would like to say that though stall holder numbers seemed to be down the quality of those who DID attend was excellent (especially CWS!). The crowds were quite good and attitudes were positive.
The organisers did well with lounge areas, communication, etc and I believe that given support from the public and from stallholders that they will do very well for all concerned.
Thanks to the EEE crew.
Thanks to Jim and the lovely Irene for including me.
Many thanks to those forumites who said Gidday and as for that Lamington..... :)

eisbaer
26th May 2009, 06:48 PM
jim if you're in for november i'll be there.

RufflyRustic
26th May 2009, 08:11 PM
No Stu, your mine! Alll Mine!! :p:wink::D:B:doh:

Sheesh just ask DerekH and Neil and Cliff and.and everyone.... how much I said I was so happy to have finally met you.:)

Goonyella
27th May 2009, 04:48 PM
I enjoyed the show as usual this year.

Thank you to Wendy for introducing me to other forum members. It was great to meet up other members of the forum.

Next year I will have to have a cap to wear.

See you next year.

Goonyella.

eisbaer
27th May 2009, 07:23 PM
I realised my previous post re november show was probably slightly off topic. Therefore, is it too early to start a november show thread? :)

kdm
27th May 2009, 08:30 PM
As Jims UBeaut consultant (insultant?) I would like to say that though stall holder numbers seemed to be down the quality of those who DID attend was excellent (especially CWS!).

I agree with your comments, even the slightly biased ones! Jim's stall was great - lots happening and plenty of good advice. I've used the EEE and Shellawax glow (as recommended by the insultant) on a few projects already and I'm chuffed with the results:2tsup: