PDA

View Full Version : Burl Bowls

Fredo
4th January 2009, 08:18 PM
Hi all,

Here is some of my less recent work, four burl bowls which I enjoyed making. I took these photos today in an attempt to improve my photography skills.

All comments welcome on the work and photos,

Fredo :U

DuncanH
4th January 2009, 08:27 PM
:oo: Those are fantastic! I especially like the second one :2tsup::2tsup:

bellyup
4th January 2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah, Ditto!!!
Bloody terrific - love the effect on the rim of #3,what is it?

Mulgabill
4th January 2009, 08:46 PM
Fantastic!:2tsup: I like them all. Each one for different reasons. Yes as bellyup said, what is the rim finish on #3?

Fredo
4th January 2009, 09:24 PM
DuncanH, bellyup, Mulgabill,
Glad you like my bowls, a Sorby spiralling and texturing tool is used to create the effect on the rim. It is then scorched with a gas torch and gently wire brushed. No sanding on the textured area, add finish and your done. link to sorby
(http://robert-sorbby.co.uk)http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/spiral_texture.htm

DuncanH
4th January 2009, 09:31 PM
How did you make the 'slots' in the second bowl?

powderpost
4th January 2009, 10:20 PM
Four unique projects, very well executed. I like all four.
Jim

TTIT
4th January 2009, 11:55 PM
You just keep out-doing yourself Fredo - beautiful work. :2tsup:

:C Might make a start on that router-jig tomorrow :~

Willy Nelson
5th January 2009, 12:51 AM
Wow
All four are superb. I especially liked No 3. You mentioned the Robert Sorby spriralling system then darkened with a torch. If the timber has enough tannin, a mixture of vinegar and steel wool will have a similar effect, eg, the wood reacts with the dissolved iron/steel and causes it to turn black. This process is called ebonising and works well with Jarrah, and less with Sheoak. The process only takes minutes. The solution I use I made up 2 years ago. Some prefer a fresh batch, but this works for me.
Regards
Willy

OGYT
5th January 2009, 05:50 AM
I like 'em all! Very beautiful work. As usual for you, Fredo. :thumbsup: I'd like to see the outside of that second one.

steck
5th January 2009, 06:35 AM
Wow! SUch stunning and inspirational bowls!
I love them all!
:2tsup:

artme
5th January 2009, 07:47 AM
:o:o Wonderful work Fredo! Photography skills are good enough to show how good your turning is.:):)

Rum Pig
5th January 2009, 08:25 AM
:wts::2tsup::2tsup:

Texian
5th January 2009, 11:08 AM
Wonderful work and pretty good pictures too. When cropping, you might want to leave a bit more white space around the work. With the perforated pieces you could probably do something more interesting with the light and shadow patterns under the piece, and make that part of your photograph. Just some thoughts.

Fredo
5th January 2009, 12:12 PM
DuncanH, the slots are cut with a router mounted in a special home made jig. There are some more pics of my fluted bowls in my album. Click all albums on the index bar at the top of the page and go to Fredo's turnings.

Jim, Vern, I appreciate the comments coming from two very talented turners such as yourselves. Thank you. The router jig then Vern, so you'll post some pics of your jig tomorrow? :;

Willy, thanks. Been there, done that. That method is generally not dark enough for my liking, at times I have even just painted the texturing black.

OGYT, Al I don't have a pic of the back, and I'll be away for a week or so, I'll take one when I return. Thanks for your comments.

Steck, Rum Pig, glad you like my work, thanks.

Artme, Texian, thanks for the kind words. With the photography, I'm on it and improving all the time. Modifying the photo tent at the moment.

Thanks very much gentlemen, as of now I'm off to the coast for some fishing and relaxation. See you in a week or so,

Ed Reiss
5th January 2009, 01:35 PM
OK Fredo....enough of that now, your putting all of us to shame with those beautifully executed turnings!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Mrs Woodpecker
12th January 2009, 06:37 PM
Stunning !!! Love them all. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers, Shirley

dai sensei
12th January 2009, 07:59 PM
Beautiful work Fredo :2tsup: I always thought adding too many extra features would detract from the apeal of the burl grain, but yours certainly don't, they add to it.

AngelofDeath
13th January 2009, 09:44 PM
WOW....those bowls are amazing...great job with all of them....very impressive. thank you for sharing:2tsup:

thefixer
13th January 2009, 11:01 PM
Exceptional work Fredo. You are obviously a very patient and meticulous man. I dips me lid to you.

cheers
Shorty

thefixer
13th January 2009, 11:10 PM
Hey, I just had a thought. ( will wonders never cease). I don't suppose you could part with one of those wonderful creations to help a worthy cause.(see link below)
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=86047

Just a thought !!!

Cheers
Shorty

bookend
14th January 2009, 03:21 AM
I don't suppose you could part with one of those wonderful creations to help a worthy cause.(see link below)
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=86047

Just a thought !!!

Cheers
Shorty

Like everyone else, I think the bowls are superb, however, I don't think it is appropriate for anyone to suggest that someone else give their work away to charity.

The cause is worthy, but comments like this create feelings of guilt in the receiver if he or she doesn't donate. No-one wants to feel they might have to justify why their work isn't being given to the needy. This could lead to a reluctance to post pictures of turnings by the members of this forum.

Let people donate because they wish to participate.:o

Ok. I'm off my soapbox now!:B