PDA

View Full Version : Stitching pony

Patonga
5th January 2009, 08:36 AM
Would someone out there know where I could find plans for a leatherwork stitching pony - the type that probably mounts or has a stool/seat attached to it? I've searched the web but to no avail.

Pheonix
5th January 2009, 10:53 AM
Is there any saddlers around you or a Tandy leather shop ,they usually have magazines with plans in them.

Patonga
7th January 2009, 09:06 AM
Pheonix,
No Tandy leather etc. Checked out the saddlers but no luck.
Thanks for the reply.

horse123
1st February 2009, 07:59 PM
sounds like you are talking about a saddlers clamp to me?

Patonga
1st February 2009, 08:24 PM
Yes that's the one. Stitching pony, saddler's clamp, leather workers clamp. There is one type I have seen that is mounted on the front of a stool in a similar manner to a clamp used for doing draw knife work. The other is hinged at the bottom & is clamped toa bench or whatever. I'd prefer the stool type.
Alan.

horse123
2nd February 2009, 07:55 PM
there is a place in west melb that have the ones you hold between your legs, i am waiting for hubby to make ours out of a wine barrel as they have the right curves needed. Try google search for saddlers clamps as well
here is the web site in west melb,
WWW. leffler.com.au ph 1800337006 they post all over the world:U

fhman
9th February 2009, 02:11 AM
There is a Book by Al Stolman Titled:

The Art of Hand Stitching Leather

You can find it on Amazon, and it it published through Tandy leather.

The book is pretty cheap, very old, soft bound and only about thirty pages.

However it is an excellent resource for hand stiching leather, and has the stiching horse plans that you are looking for. I am sure of it.

I hope this helps.

fhma

Patonga
9th February 2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the replies. Checked out Leffler & couldn't see anything there.
Re. "The art of Hand Stitching Leather", I will check that out also . Sounds like a good lead.