PDA

View Full Version : Christam gifts

Misterwippy
5th January 2009, 07:15 PM
Hey guys.....just wanted to show of some gifts that I made for the nephew's and nices.

http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr319/misterwippy/IMG_5003.jpg

http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr319/misterwippy/IMG_5001.jpg

The dark aminals are made from off cuts of Ebony and the lighter ones are Mahogany. Finished with Estepol and EEE wax.

Cheers,

Rowan

Chipman
6th January 2009, 05:23 PM
Wow Rowan... Ebony??????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That makes them some expensive toys...lucky kids:2tsup::2tsup:

You know some of us toy makers go to great lengths to make really complex life like toys but it usually makes them fragile and only suitable for big kids (like us) to play with.

Ultimately the nieces and nephews will remember them as something that Uncle Rowan made them.

If I could offer any advice, it would be to make some of the features a little more rounded (safer) but it ultimately depends on the age of kids...ok for older ones.

Keep up the good work Uncle!

Cheers,
Chipman:)

Old farmer
6th January 2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks very much for showing us these. They are simple and unbreakable. I am sure much loved for more than the one generation.

keju
6th January 2009, 09:12 PM
I like the idea of "fancy" timber for simple shaped animals. It will make them family heirlooms that can even sit on the fireplace or decorate a desk of grown ups some day.
Like chipman... my first thought was.. sharp edges... on second thought... it's fine.. we need to stop trying to prevent any little hurt our kids might get.. how are they going to learn to be careful if we round of and soften the world around them?

Juvy

Misterwippy
6th January 2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks guys... I am glad that you didn't chew me out to much for the simplicity of the designs.

The corners are not too sharp....although the Ebony ones do weigh quite a bit. The two kiddies are both around two and a half.

I know one or two of them have already found a home on a mantle or bookcase.

Cheers,

Rowan

Chipman
7th January 2009, 11:39 PM
Hi Rowan,

Just out of interest, how did you come by those ebony offcuts?

Cheers,

Chipman

Misterwippy
8th January 2009, 11:43 AM
I am woring on a side table for a friend that will be complementing a grand piano in her music room . It's going to have ebony inlays. I ended up buying too much. I got it from Shiver me Timers. It aparently came from a mine shaft in the solomon islands.

Cheers,

Rowan

Chipman
8th January 2009, 12:36 PM
I am woring on a side table for a friend that will be complementing a grand piano in her music room . It's going to have ebony inlays. I ended up buying too much. I got it from Shiver me Timers. It aparently came from a mine shaft in the solomon islands.

Cheers,

Rowan

Thanks. That is intersting... I once spent 6 yrs in the solomon islands as a teacher. Loved their "kerosene" wood that they use in their traditional carvings.

Cheers,
Chipman