PDA

View Full Version : It's not fine woodworking

jefferson
5th January 2009, 08:24 PM
What's big and made out of melamine?

Cupboards no less. It took a day to cut the sheets and screw, but it's all been a worthwhile exercise. The cabs are for a mate's coffee shop. Like always, another freebie job. Vic Ash to face-frame the front tomorrow and we're done.

Nothing special, but it just shows what can be done with a panel saw.

Jeff

Ad de Crom
5th January 2009, 08:33 PM
Hi Jeff, that looks very good mate. Something different than woodturning, but it seems you have a lot of fun with building this.
I guess you can work on this project in your T-shirt, because it's summertime in down under. Here we get this week temps of minus 10 -16C, so I'm staying warm inside the house. Brrrrrr.
All the best.
Ad:2tsup:

jefferson
5th January 2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks for that Ad.

It hit 36 degrees here today, so the VB cans came out early. I just can't understand how you guys in Europe and the States endure such cold temperatures!

And I forgot to ask on another thread Ad, that you've given the gouge away. So what are you using to rough out bowls? There will be a lot of interest in that one, so you may want to start another thread.

regards Jeff

jackliveshere
5th January 2009, 09:32 PM
"It's not fine woodworking"

maybe not, but it is functional woodworking! :2tsup: Well done

Cheers,

WILL

Ad de Crom
5th January 2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks for that Ad.

It hit 36 degrees here today, so the VB cans came out early. I just can't understand how you guys in Europe and the States endure such cold temperatures!

And I forgot to ask on another thread Ad, that you've given the gouge away. So what are you using to rough out bowls? There will be a lot of interest in that one, so you may want to start another thread.

regards Jeff

Yep Jeff, it's just the other way around here. They are talking about warming up, climate changing, and all that sort of talking. Here they are talking about the eleven cities tour in the Western part of Friesland, a tour on ice, so an iceskating tour over 200km, well it's a cycle all the time, most of the time we have a soft winter (seaclimate), but some times it can be pretty cold here, for sure with the eastern wind transporting Siberian cold to our regions. Anyway here a video of the eleven city tour of 1985. YouTube - The Netherlands in 1985: Friese elfstedentocht / Eleven cities tour. If it don't work, just doubble click. The last tour was in 1986, big chance another the end of this week or next week, if these cold keeps on.
Not so a bad idea to start a new tread about the way of hollowing out bowls.
Will do that soon, to get some discussions about this issue. Anyway I'm using for a long time a hollowing rig.

Cheers. Ad

Marginata
6th January 2009, 01:03 AM
That's a very generous freebie job Jeff. I hope your mate understands how much effort goes into that much cabinet work. Lucky friend.:U

artme
7th January 2009, 03:45 PM
Nice work Jefferson!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

One thing about that sort of cupboard building is that you get a good result in pretty short order.

atregent
7th January 2009, 05:22 PM
Oh for a panel saw. Or, come to mention it, any kind of accurate saw...

I've just spent the past week, on and off, making some basic melamine cabinets for our study. I'm not 100% happy with the result, but almost. Things are off by a mm here and there, which is really frustrating given how careful I was trying to be. I did eventually discover that my trusty little Makita circular saw (that I bought in 1984!) has a warped base plate that didn't help much...

Nice cabinets, by the way!