PDA

View Full Version : This is a missing link, I think (Bitzer)

billrule
7th January 2009, 12:33 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Metal-Lathe_W0QQitemZ250352965765QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_BnI_Woodworking_Metalworking?hash=item250352965765&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

This slightly butchered machine is a Hercus, at least, as far as I understand it. The Saddle has been modified and ?strengthened, well certainly more meat and lots more gib-screws.
The tool-post is not original, and the extra clamping of the topslide also added later. Ironically, because of the dodgy paint-job, the details are easier to make out. Compared to mine, this has precisely the same tailstock, bed, was once the same saddle etc. The curious difference is that the tensioning and countershaft setup look more modern than mine, but the head itself is different, and to my way of thinking, looks older. This pattern with the exposed flat pulleys and no guarding SEEMS old to me, whereas mine has contoured guarding over the back-gear cogs and on the lower half of the whole pulley assembly at the front. I get the impression that mine came with countershaft, but you had to rig up the mounting yourself. Of course, I could be wrong there, and mine could have originally had the same tensioning and mounting hardware, and it got lost. I think I'll ask what the serial number is:rolleyes:

Bill

bitza500
7th January 2009, 01:26 AM
Hi Bill, NO I reckon it a Early ADVANCE lathe as there is so much of the apron and carraige that makes it a Advance Lathe made here in Australia and the Lathe bed if that piece was cut out it would also cut the support betwwen the bed rails
Very interesting machine but at $750 I can buy a hercus for less than that to strip and sell for parts
The Advance was a very basic machine and a good Hobby lathe but the ones I have seen are more rounde re it is OLD like us

all the best Derek

SurfinNev
7th January 2009, 11:36 PM
Early Advance. These have a seperate headstock casting.I have the latter Tapered Roller Bearing model with the one piece casting. I paid about $250.00 for mine and still in the process of rebuilding it.

http://www.titaniumstudios.com/tooljunkie/advance.html

Nev

billrule
16th January 2009, 08:03 AM
I can't help but notice that the Advance was, at least in those models I've seen, a cantilever design, whereas the one which started this thread is supported by two feet.
Also the Advances backgear configuration was pretty singular (some might almost say unique), while (again) the lathe in question has the two cogs one at each end of the flat pulley cluster.

Bill