PDA

View Full Version : ?? Tank tracks ??

TTIT
7th January 2009, 06:40 PM
My grandson is coming over tomorrow to spend the day in the shed with me and he wants to make an army tank - we've made just about every other form of transport known but I always balk at this one 'cos I have no idea what to do for the tracks :C Any ideas ????

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th January 2009, 07:02 PM
Tank tracks? What about gluing/stapling the plates/grousers onto a strip of ribbon?

To keep it in place, you could have "arrnour plate" over the top half, so you'd only see the bottom halves of the drive sprocket & front idler, and most of the ribbon on the inside of the track would be concealed by the track rollers.

Now, if you were building a 'dozer track... [shudder]

edit: OK, can't seem to find any paint sw to draw up a sketch on this 'puta. :~

What I'd do is shape a block of wood for the body, with front & back axles for the the sprocket/idler. For the rollers, I'd simply nail them on (so the nails are axles) along the bottom edge of the block. Then make the tracks to fit.

Over the top of all this, I'd make a "tray" to simulate the upper deck and side plates, so when slipped over the top of the body (and only screwed on, so's to allow future track repairs :wink:) the "sides" of the tray will hold the tracks in place.

(I really wish I could find some paint SW... one pic would make it so obvious what I'm talking about)

echnidna
7th January 2009, 07:06 PM
you could make up wooden tracks along the line of a roller chain.

If it was me I'd cheat and use a couple of toothed belts turned inside out. The blokes in the cnc forum should be able to point you in the right direction. There is a company in Melbourne "Naismith" that trades in this type of stuff

HandyAndrea
7th January 2009, 08:22 PM
I don't know how you'd join it, but it looks kind of like "tracks" if its turned inside out. Or maybe someone makes one the right size.

Another trick might be to make a bigger version of those "appliance garage" doors, i.e., canvas with timber strips glued to it.

wheelinround
7th January 2009, 08:41 PM
Printers, sewing machines, scanners all use toothed belts Vern

Juffy
7th January 2009, 08:46 PM
First pic is what I think Skew's talking about to keep the tread on... :)

Second pic is how you might make the tread? Run a long piece of 40x40 over the router to get the basic shape, then take slices off it to make each section. String 'em together with dowel(?) and away you go. Easy way of keeping them on would be to put a ridge on each wheel, lined up with a channel along the inside face of the tread.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th January 2009, 09:10 PM
:yes: Although with the sides a bit deeper.

The problem with a linked tack is that the smaller you make them the weaker the link. There's a lot of lateral twisting force on the bushes in a track when they go over a bump (one of the major problems with early tracked vehicles) which makes them tend to snap.

Being a toy, kids will lean on it fairly heavily, exacerbating the problem. A scale model, well... that's a completely different thing.

Also, unless the links are individually made of ply (a LOT of work!) they'll break along the grain. Depending on grain direction, either the edge of the plate will break off (leaving small bite-sized bits lying around - not recommended for kids toys!) or the track will come off altogether.

With ribbon, not only is the twisting link problem less of a concern but if the grain runs perpendicular to the ribbon, even if if does break both halves will still be glued to the ribbon.

Finally, it's a lot easier to bulk cut appropriately sized rectangles than it is to shape each & every plate. :)

FWIW, this is a project I've given a lot of thought to in the past, even though I've never actually gotten around to building it. :- All up, something like this:

tea lady
7th January 2009, 09:25 PM
How acurate looking do you want the "track" to be? What about just cut up tyre inner tube in a big rubber band around the wooden wheels? Or if you want tread how about old bike tires? If they need to be cut to size you could prolly butt join then with rubber contact adhesive, with maybe a bike puncture patch behind the joint for reinforcing. Thet's my thought anyway.:)

oldbob13
7th January 2009, 11:26 PM
We my son was younger (a long time ago) I made tanks that were quite popular with the troops.
Just a body with a rotating turret and elevating gun. The body supported four axels with a wheel on each side. The front and rear axels were slightly higher than the two in the centre to give it the look that it would climb over objects.
Mine were toys to play with not detailed models.
BobT

TTIT
7th January 2009, 11:29 PM
......Another trick might be to make a bigger version of those "appliance garage" doors, i.e., canvas with timber strips glued to it.Definite potential in that idea Andrea - will have to see what I can find that will 'grip' the wheels and still hold glue though :?

...The problem with a linked tack is that the smaller you make them the weaker the link. There's a lot of lateral twisting force on the bushes in a track when they go over a bump (one of the major problems with early tracked vehicles) which makes them tend to snap.
.............................. ................ .................

With ribbon, not only is the twisting link problem less of a concern but if the grain runs perpendicular to the ribbon, even if if does break both halves will still be glued to the ribbon.
Finally, it's a lot easier to bulk cut appropriately sized rectangles than it is to shape each & every plate. The other problem with linked tracks will be keeping the young blokes attention that long. What is the 'ribbon' you're referring to Skew :?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th January 2009, 12:02 AM
What is the 'ribbon' you're referring to Skew :?

The particular ribbon I have in mind is just a cloth ribbon used by dressmakers as a backing tape in hems, zips, etc. Don't ask me the correct term, 'cos I dunno. :-

If you make the wooden pads wider than the tape, then you can glue a thinner pad on the other side, thus clamping the tape between the two... I reckon it'd be more permanent than trying to glue wood to one side of the ribbon.

You'd need to be careful with the pad spacing though, so that the track will bend around the wheel properly.

TTIT
8th January 2009, 12:12 AM
The particular ribbon I have in mind is just a cloth ribbon used by dressmakers as a backing tape in hems, zips, etc. Don't ask me the correct term, 'cos I dunno. :-

If you make the wooden pads wider than the tape, then you can glue a thinner pad on the other side, thus clamping the tape between the two... I reckon it'd be more permanent than trying to glue wood to one side of the ribbon.

You'd need to be careful with the pad spacing though, so that the track will bend around the wheel properly.I like the idea but I'm thinking flat elastic with the pad both sides as you suggested. If I get the length just right, the elastic should help keep it 'gripping' and sitting on the wheels. Sounds like a plan - will have to go shopping for some elastic before the lad gets here in the morning :2tsup:

HandyAndrea
8th January 2009, 09:00 AM
If your grandson is quite young, and wants the tank to be able to work (i.e., run), you could make a rotating turret and stationary tracks which LOOK realistic, but contain concealed, running, wheels in the underside. His imagination will supply the rest. If he is older, and wants a proper, working model, then that, of course, is a different kettle of fish.

Andy Mac
8th January 2009, 09:37 AM
If it was me I'd cheat and use a couple of toothed belts turned inside out. The blokes in the cnc forum should be able to point you in the right direction. There is a company in Melbourne "Naismith" that trades in this type of stuff

Old printers and photocopiers are a good source of toothed belts, with various sizes in one machine. I don't know how you'd go shortening them, as the join could be "iffy".

Cheers,

Sawdust Maker
8th January 2009, 06:31 PM
TTIT
Whatever you end up doing we demand photos :o
Otherwise we'll send the boys around :cool::cool::cool::cool:

if you need a photo of the tape I think skew is talking about, let me know and I'll take a piccy and post it
actually here's a link (http://lincraft.cart.net.au/details/810708.html)to Lincraft

TTIT
8th January 2009, 08:00 PM
If your grandson is quite young, and wants the tank to be able to work (i.e., run), you could make a rotating turret and stationary tracks which LOOK realistic, but contain concealed, running, wheels in the underside. His imagination will supply the rest. If he is older, and wants a proper, working model, then that, of course, is a different kettle of fish.His other grandfather collects REAL army vehicles so a bit of authenticity is a must - but he doesn't have a tank - - -yet!:o

TTIT
Whatever you end up doing we demand photos :o
Otherwise we'll send the boys around :cool::cool::cool::cool:

if you need a photo of the tape I think skew is talking about, let me know and I'll take a piccy and post it
actually here's a link (http://lincraft.cart.net.au/details/810708.html)to LincraftWe didn't end up having much time so we only got the body cut out today. He insisted on seeing the thicknessing sander in action so we wasted time playing with that first - - - - - and climbing the mahogany tree - - - - - - and eating chocolates - - - - - gawd they're so much fun when ya can give 'em back!!!:U

HandyAndrea
8th January 2009, 10:17 PM
- - - - gawd they're so much fun when ya can give 'em back!!!:U

Aren't they though??? My Grandies are older teenagers now, and I'm still having the BEST fun with them!

Don't bother competing with the other Grandpa. I bet he won't let your little grandie play with his big toys. I'd go with wrapping and glueing some sort of toothed belt to the outside of a flattened elipse which has deep, elongated mortise-type grooves cut into the underside to fit a pair of wheels on axles. One of those each side gives you both appearance and functionality. Trying to get a proper track built first time will drive you crazy and Grandie won't have his toy! While he's playing with that one, try out tracks for No. 2 tank.

I googled "wooden army tanks", and came up with these http://www.rudystoys.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=5447 (http://www.rudystoys.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=5447)
www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=167178 (http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=167178)

The first is good for a young-un to play with, without getting into frustrating problems with tracks coming off. The second is a model - for a careful child who likes to look at his toys, not play with them!

jatt
9th January 2009, 07:09 AM
I would do what was posted already, ie just make it with four wheels like a standard car.

Personnaly I would make something like this.

www.lancers.org.au/site/Ferret_Scout_Car.asp (http://www.lancers.org.au/site/Ferret_Scout_Car.asp)

This site has a good photo. Aussie Army had something similar years ago. Still looks the goods. Easier to make than a tracked vehicle.

If it has to be tracked then I would probably source my tracks first, no issues with joining them. Perhaps harrass places like photocopy & sewing machine repair joints. Quite often they usually have a "graveyard" of dead machines out the back or some crappy toothed belts lying around.

Wood Butcher
11th January 2009, 10:10 PM
Have a look at this site. Always wanted to make one myself

http://www.gizmology.net/tanks.htm

tea lady
11th January 2009, 10:33 PM
What about making links held together with hat elastic or similar. Just rectangles with two lines of holes going through sideways like on a bracelet that fits over cog like wheels. I hope you can understand my vague description.:doh: Might have to do a drawing somehow. :C

Fantapantz
12th January 2009, 08:35 PM
I don't really think you need to worry about the tracks. Representation is the main key with kids. Five wheels either side would suffice.

Concentrate more on the whiz-bang.

How about a turret that cAn actually fire something, 30mm lengths of 8mm dowel for instance. Thats a toy that will be used and abused, especially if you can make two so he can set up the plastic toy soldiers with a friend and have a war.

Even supply safety glasses to minimise the risk (paint the frames of the glasses in camouflage with him to increase bonding, even go to the extent of getting as few books on army gear for camouflage patterns).

Hope of got you thinking.

Cheers

TTIT
12th January 2009, 11:19 PM
I would do what was posted already, ie just make it with four wheels like a standard car.

Personnaly I would make something like this.

www.lancers.org.au/site/Ferret_Scout_Car.asp (http://www.lancers.org.au/site/Ferret_Scout_Car.asp)

This site has a good photo. Aussie Army had something similar years ago. Still looks the goods. Easier to make than a tracked vehicle.............The 4yo grand-daughter was part of the deal as well today so we had a look on the net and decided the Ferret-Scout was a good idea - hard keeping your eyes on both of them at once so simplicity seemed the key. Got most of it done - just have to make some wheels and glue the side boxes in between the wheels next time he visits. Nothing flash - only has to meet the specifications of a 7yo - just good fun spending time with the munchkins.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th January 2009, 11:27 PM
Looks good! Can we expect to see a full platoon of them appearing? :wink:

HandyAndrea
13th January 2009, 09:01 PM
For an adult, you could make it on the fibreglass body of the dune buggy my son used to own - I think it was VW or Fiat based. Fun at the neighbourhood Barbie, indeed!!:roll:

artme
14th January 2009, 12:13 AM
That "ribbon" or "tape" to which Skew refers is called Bias Binding.

tea lady
16th January 2009, 11:12 AM
Maybe you could make one a bit like this.:D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/staffordshire/7829736.stm

AUSSIE
16th January 2009, 11:20 AM
Maybe you could make one a bit like this.:D

//news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/staffordshire/7829736.stm (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au//news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/staffordshire/7829736.stm)
Tea lady.
I cant get site to come up.
Says not found

chrisb691
16th January 2009, 11:28 AM
Tea lady.
I cant get site to come up.
Says not found

Try this http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/staffordshire/7829736.stm

tea lady
16th January 2009, 11:30 AM
Try this http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/staffordshire/7829736.stm

Ta. Its only a joke really. :rolleyes:

TTIT
17th January 2009, 12:19 AM
Got some shed time without little sister hanging around today so we got it finished. He didn't want to wait for the black paint on the wheels to dry though - his mum will kill me if it leaves tracks on her polished floors:o:o:o

jatt
17th January 2009, 07:10 AM
Looks good. Sturdy enough to survive some serious playtime.

tea lady
17th January 2009, 09:05 AM
Looks like one happy customer too.:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
17th January 2009, 09:19 PM
There goes your serious shed time!
You'll now be scrounging crapriata to make tanks and other associated combat vehicles.
enjoy
(ok I'm jealous, I've got about a 15 year wait before I have to make one of these)*

*which is probably a good thing

HandyAndrea
18th January 2009, 07:45 AM
Now that's a great toy! It's sturdy, the right shape and colour, it works, and enough is left to it's owner's imagination.

Billy
23rd January 2009, 12:53 PM
ive got the plans from toys n joys for a bulldozer. the tracks aren't that hard but i dont know how to load them up on here. I'll see if i can scan them in to my computer and send them to your email address, cheers, billy

Billy
23rd January 2009, 01:01 PM
the 2nd pic in juffys reply is the same as toys n joys bulldozer tracks. The dowel used is 1/8 th of an inch. The tongue (Right side of pic )is where you glue the dowel in, the two bits on the other end with dowel holes , i drill out slightly larger than 1/8 so the dowel turns smoothly in them , no glue on those areas. The roller wheel at each end of the tracks is shaped like a pulley that takes a v belt and the track pieces have a small inverted v shaped piece glued under them so they stay in the groove of the roller wheel. Hope that makes sense. The toys and joys plans are full size, difficult to scan but i might be able to reduce them on the photocopier at work and then put them up here, cheers, billy