PDA

View Full Version : Red Gum Dining Table

Panther
8th January 2009, 09:14 AM
G'Day All
This is my first project, I thought I may as well start big and work my way down. I had alot of fun with this and learnt heaps along the way.
My son is a carpenter just out of his time, he would come along now and then put his head over my shoulder and suggest that the way I'm going about it might not be the best way, walk away and let me have a think about a new approach. Felt like I was doing my apprenticeship all over again.
All rails and legs are mortice and tennon joints.

I would like to thank fellow member Gordon Windeyer for the Triton workbench that he gave me. It came in very handy and would be battling to finish the table without it. Also Wongo for his detailed thread on his table, lots of great ideas I used his Button method to attach the top.

charlsie
8th January 2009, 09:54 AM
what a beautiful looking piece of furniture congratulations:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th January 2009, 10:02 AM
Ooooh! :2tsup:

Yeldarb
8th January 2009, 01:14 PM
Bloody lovely :)

Chipman
8th January 2009, 02:34 PM
It certainly has the "WoW" factor:2tsup:

Nice wood and great build

Cheers,

Chipman

(is it a 2 or 4 person lift?)

artme
8th January 2009, 05:23 PM
:o:o Bewdiful!!!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

High benchmark to set for a first project.

BrettC
8th January 2009, 06:11 PM
Love it, great work :2tsup:

Juffy
8th January 2009, 09:04 PM
Great job, really done justice to a stunning piece of timber. As artme said though - what are you going to do for a followup? :)

Peter36
8th January 2009, 09:35 PM
Great table and a beautiful redgum top.How did you machine the 2tsup::2tsup:

Claw Hama
8th January 2009, 10:59 PM
Very nice first project, you have set a high standard to beat next time.

Panther
9th January 2009, 08:07 AM
Hi All
Thanks for the kind words. http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/actions/2thumbsup.gif I realised the other day when I finished it that the next project was going to be hard to follow up. But the good wife has said that she want one of those Bed book case backboards with foot to match with sliding doors in red gum. Now that is going to take me ages to work out how I'm going to go about it

Hi chipman

its as heavy piece, the top is 2100mm x 1000mm x 45mm so its a 2 big men, the better half helped me move it the other day with the adult daughter and that was just the top and it was a struggle.

Great table and a beautiful redgum top.How did you machine the 2tsup::2tsup:

Hi Peter

I got the Top and all the timber from Tim at www.australiantimbernaturally.com.au “great bloke” and he had it sanded and rounded to 120 grit, I them hand sanded to 240, young bloke lent me his orbital and then sanded to 400 grit, went back to the hand sander and went to 800 and finished with 1200. I now have a right arm that Arnold would be proud of.

Vernonv
9th January 2009, 12:06 PM
Looks great Panther, a piece to be proud of. Stunning colour. :2tsup:

Matt Thomas
10th January 2009, 08:06 PM
looks awesome, great work:2tsup:

Andy Mac
10th January 2009, 08:44 PM
Nice work!:2tsup: Lets see some progress on that next project:)

Cheers

Glennet
10th January 2009, 11:48 PM
That's fantastic for a first project, or for any project come to that :2tsup:

Tex B
11th January 2009, 08:47 AM
Great job, panther. That is one beautiful table. :2tsup:

You should be really proud of that one.

Tex

mjdtexan
13th January 2009, 09:38 AM
That is a beautiful table. I really like the grain pattern. Congradlations