PDA

View Full Version : Glue & Heat (hot)

Howdya do that
8th January 2009, 09:32 AM
Do high temperatures effect glue:?

I glued up some of a hall table I am making on the weekend. It was very hot, 38 outside so probably 40+ in the shed. Last night when I took the clamps off a visible line appeared and i could actually pull the joint apart on one end. I used titebond III and the timber is American Oak.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th January 2009, 09:48 AM
Yes. :C

Too hot or too cold, it can ruin a glue job. If I'm feeling the weather, I don't glue up.

pal
8th January 2009, 10:06 AM
The only min/max temperature that manufacturer mentions is don't use under 45F don't store above 75F.
General Notes
Not for continuous submersion or for use below the waterline. Not for structural or load bearing applications. Use when temperature, glue and materials are above 45°F. Store product below 75°F. Storage above this temperature may cause product to thicken and reduce the usable shelf life. If thickened, shake vigorously by firmly tapping bottle on a hard surface until product is restored to original form. Because of variances in the surfaces of treated lumber, it is a good idea to test for adhesion.

Pal

orraloon
8th January 2009, 10:59 AM
Howdya,
I was aware of the high temp effect on glue as a lot of glues say this in the instructions. You have just proved the point.
There are some 2 part epoxies that do require heat to get a stronger bond and things like hot boxes are used for them.
I cant stay in the shed much past 30* let alone being in there at 40*:oo:
Regards
John

Howdya do that
8th January 2009, 11:42 AM
75f is only 24c :o

Wongdai
8th January 2009, 12:05 PM
Most summer days it is at least 100F in my shed. :(