PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ 8 May 04

Ralph Jones
8th May 2004, 07:49 AM
Good Morning Friends,
Before dado blades for the table saw and routers with their many bits.

How did the carpenters cut dadoes in the wood for the furniture?

Respectfully, ;)

ozwinner
8th May 2004, 07:57 AM
With his old wifes tooth that he had punched out the previous night.

Al :eek:

bitingmidge
8th May 2004, 08:47 AM
skew nails

Bob Willson
8th May 2004, 11:31 AM
They didn't.

Before dado blades were invented it was impossible to cut dados. They had to be made up out of individual pieces of timber. ie Two thick pieces of timber and a thinner bit in the middle to make a 'trenchant' as it was called. This method has now become a lost art and is the origin of the saying "As dead as a dado"

Ralph Jones
8th May 2004, 01:10 PM
Good afternoon Friends,
Bod Wilson was correct in his answer as well as what we Americans also used a tool made by the Stanley manufacturing Company called a dado cutting plane that would do the job with out the need of joining the boards as Bob Wilson mentioned and speeded the method by quite a bit.

Thank you Bob for your input and all you other blokes who knock out teeth and use skewers.

Respectfully, ;)

Bob Willson
8th May 2004, 02:43 PM
I was joking! I didn't know that was the correct answer as I would otherwise never have replied that way. :o :o :o

ozwinner
8th May 2004, 06:47 PM
we Americans also used a tool made by the Stanley manufacturing Company called a dado cutting plane that would do the job

Also know as an old womans tooth. :D

bitingmidge
8th May 2004, 09:27 PM
Ralph,

Just so you know he's not pulling your leg.. (again!)
:D
P

Ralph Jones
8th May 2004, 11:13 PM
Greetings Mates,
Well, dip my hat that is a new one on me and thanks for the womans tooth article, quite interesting.

Respectfully, ;)