PDA

View Full Version : Tiling mess- please advice

Theva
8th May 2004, 10:48 AM
Hi,

Our tiler finished bathroom tiling last week. We are happy with most of the work expect one issue.

The level of the tile line (horizontal grout line) between two opposing walls is different by about 40mm.

Why, I cannot explain, floor is level, tiling job was done by professionals (!). This leads to the bathroom entrance wall (with the door) tiling a bit awkward.

Tiler has tried to fix it by correcting the level by ramping the tiling line above the door, making the door / top architrave not in parallel with the tile line. Mismatch of 40mm in 1m is very noticeable.

What is the best way to make it look good? My options are:

1) live with it, probably not.

2) Rip the tiles above door and redo that part only, keeping the grout line horizontal but the mismatch corrected in one line.

3) Redo / tile over the whole wall (about six sqm).

Thanks in advance for all your comments (including jabs), I was away when the pros were at work.

Regards,

Theva
:mad:

bitingmidge
8th May 2004, 11:40 AM
Redo it.

OK since jabs are permissable:

was done by professionals

Should have used a tradesman.

P

Theva
8th May 2004, 04:14 PM
BM,

Translate "professional" to tradesman who claims to have 19 years exp.

Cheers,

Theva

seriph1
8th May 2004, 07:01 PM
sorry but I am struggling to "get" what you mean ..... is it possible to take a pic please?

For what it's worth, I imagine a tiler with 19yrs experience would know what they are doing, so perhaps the room has issues not evident until the tiles were laid?

cheers

Jigsaw
11th May 2004, 09:15 AM
I am going to put a different slant on the situation.
I would suspect that the tradesman's level is not really level.
I had a similar situation (not with tiles) but the effect is the same.
Found my level was not indicating correct level. Bought a new one and checked it in the shop before paying.

I would get them to re-do the job if you are not happy with the result.

ozwinner
11th May 2004, 10:01 AM
Another local...............thats about 6 from the same area.

Al :cool:

Theva
22nd May 2004, 08:48 PM
Finally got the offending tiles ripped out and the board underneath replaced.

Surface is almost ready for new tiles & tiler.

Regards,

Theva

bitingmidge
22nd May 2004, 10:10 PM
Suggest before they start this time that they run a chalk line around at door head height and see if they can get it to line up. :rolleyes:

Then check that the dimensions to the floor are similar! If the floor is out by a bit, it will be less noticable if the slope is taken up by cutting the first course against the floor.

All the best,

P

Theva
22nd May 2004, 10:24 PM
BM,

I asked my friendly bathroom PC item supplier to get me the details of the chap who did his own place and showroom. So it will not go haywire this time, fingers crossed.

Also, hope to hang around till they complete the job.

Regards,

Theva