PDA

View Full Version : Venison

Pagie
10th January 2009, 01:24 PM
I need a recipe for cooking a leg of deer. I have a small leg of deer, about 5 or 6 kilo. Ideas?

wheelinround
10th January 2009, 02:36 PM
I'll come :chef: if I can :eat:it

It can be slow roasted with red wine, Juniper, sage or Aussie bush herbs like pepper berry

180 temp so aprox 4 hrs check when getting close keep moist use a lid or foil to keep juices in rest after cooking.

Pagie
10th January 2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks Wheelin. Your welcome, I'll let you know when I'm gunner cook it. I figured it would be needing some fat/moisture. Only a young animal so it should be tender.

bsrlee
10th January 2009, 08:06 PM
If you have access to the rest of the animal, venison goes very nicely with in a Thai Green curry - just get it sliced like 'stroganoff'. It is a good use for all the odd shaped bits that don't quite make a roast, and is better than throwing it to the dogs.

Pagie
10th January 2009, 08:30 PM
Yes I have tried some of the fillet as stirfry. Very nice for road kill. I came across this animal just after it had been hit. It was still alive, broken neck and leg and I decided to administer first-aid. I'm sorry to say it died in the ambulance.

Geoff Dean
11th January 2009, 02:37 PM
It is usually very lean, so don't be afraid to keep lots of moisture up to it during the cooking process.

I have done it to best effect in a camp oven, sitting on a wire cake cooling rack with half inch of water in the bottom.

Still to try it in the weber, but when I do, once again will have a container of water inside the weber.

As wheelin suggested red wine is good, so to is either garlic cloves inserted into little pockets cut into the roast, or rosemary sprigs, just like doing a leg of lamb.

Pagie
11th January 2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks guys.:2tsup: Now I'm hungary
span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }