PDA

View Full Version : Can;t seem to get blade to Zero. Will Triton still replace scales??

wilsonj
10th January 2009, 01:28 PM
Hi,

I am setting up a new triton 235mm saw on a secondhand wc2000. Its the older model with the older saw sled.

Although I can get the saw nice and straight when I place the fence up against the blade, as per the instructions I can't get the scale all the way to zero. Its about 1mm out. And I don't have nay more adjustment on the saw mounting clamps.

Cutting a piece of wood confirms that it is out by 1mm

Reading through the forums, it seems I am far from the first to encounter this problem.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=18751&highlight=scale

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=2278&page=1&pp=15&highlight=scale+arms

From what I read it is the scale that is out. The blade is centred.

Seems some have had Triton send them new scales. I wonder if they still will?

Any other suggestions or thoughts?

Cheers
Jamie

wheelinround
10th January 2009, 02:39 PM
do you have a piece attached on your fence this may solve the problem

These stick on stips shrink over time :roll:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th January 2009, 04:39 PM
When the fence is hard up against the blade, does it read +1mm or -1mm?

Depending on which way the blade needs to move, you may be able to use an appropriate shim/washer on the saw arbor, between the blade & the saw motor, to move the blade over that li'l bit extra.

TritonJapan
11th January 2009, 07:40 AM
Skew,

Problem with moving the blade to match inaccurate scales is the blade then is off center by too much. Found that because rip cuts hit the overhead guard support, there is a tendancy to remove it all together. For novice woodworkers, this can be inviting trouble.

Other problem is the blade is then very close to the aluminium infill strip. Any sideways pressure and it gets a hair cut.

One solution is to mark another scale at the 100mm mark. Use thenormal csale pointers to roughly locate the fence and the secondary scale to fine tune. The Workcenters come with a sticker for alignment when using the fence on the RHS of the blade.

Steve

wilsonj
11th January 2009, 08:39 AM
Thanks for your replies.

When the fence is up agains the blade the reading is about +1. When I measure the distance from the fence to the scale it reads 59mm. I read somewhere that it should be 60mm. This would account for my dixcrepancy.

Not sure I want to more the blade, for the reasons TritonJapan stated.

I might see what Triton have to say about it, when they open next week.

Sturdee
11th January 2009, 05:10 PM
Although I can get the saw nice and straight when I place the fence up against the blade, as per the instructions I can't get the scale all the way to zero. Its about 1mm out. And I don't have nay more adjustment on the saw mounting clamps.

Jamie

I presume the saw blade is in the correct position, eg directly inline with the overhead guard. That means cut timber will pass on both sides
of the guard without catching on it. It isn't clear from your posts.

Once this is done then you can worry about the fence and if Triton doesn't replace the fence if it is crook then you can get some workarounds to fix any problems.

Peter.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th January 2009, 05:47 PM
I was reading it that the blade is 1mm off-centre, but he can't bring it onto centre because the saw-body is already over as far as it will go in the cradle; it's at the end of the adjustment. (I know there are some CSs that are like this.... my ancient old B&D was until I replaced it with a Triton CS. :wink:) This also makes ensuring that the blade is square to he table difficult if it needs a tweak, 'cos he's out of adjustment space.

Shimming it will move the blade over, allowing the body of the saw to be moved back into the middle of the cradles adjustment range... and the blade can then be centred correctly. (And trued.)

Mind you, even if it is 1mm off-centre I wouldn't worry too much... 2 or 3mm would be a cause for concern though!

wilsonj
11th January 2009, 07:37 PM
Skew has it right. I am out of adjustment. Although the blade is centered, and is dead in line with the saw guard. I'd like to keep it there if I could. I'm not mad about shimming the blade as it may then create problems with alignment.

Just also to clarify, that the scale on my machine isn't a sticker, its etched on.

I guess I could have the fence ground down 1mm.

I know 1mm isn't much. But its annoying having to add 1mm to everything I cut. Particularly as the table is capable of accuracy greater than 1mm. I'd like to get it right.

Calm
11th January 2009, 07:53 PM
Skew has it right. I am out of adjustment. Although the blade is centered, and is dead in line with the saw guard. I'd like to keep it there if I could. I'm not mad about shimming the blade as it may then create problems with alignment.

Just also to clarify, that the scale on my machine isn't a sticker, its etched on.

I guess I could have the fence ground down 1mm.

I know 1mm isn't much. But its annoying having to add 1mm to everything I cut. Particularly as the table is capable of accuracy greater than 1mm. I'd like to get it right.

Is there any way you could slot the holes 1 mm to allow everything to move the required adjustment amount to suit.

Cheers

Ozkaban
14th January 2009, 10:17 AM
A friend of mine just bought a second hand WC2000. The scales were out by 2mm. To adjust the saw position by that amount would mean it hit the side of the slot.

He rang Triton and they confirmed that a batch was wrong and they could replace the scales but because of the time since that production run he'd have to pay for the new parts. I'm not sure how much he was quoted for them.

Cheers,
Dave

wilsonj
14th January 2009, 10:20 PM
Hi Dave, that sounds exactly like my experience! Although I haven't heard back from Triton yet. I expect they are busy and will need some time to catch up after the holidays. And given the circumstances, replying to service orineted emails might not be their highest priority.

Cheers
Jamie