PDA

View Full Version : Wool Truck finished

LiliB
11th January 2009, 11:30 AM
Hi Everyone

Well the wool truck is finally ready for the road. It has been loaded with its bales, and David assured me that if I were working on his old man's farm, I would be told to go back and refill them. So, lucky I'm not in the wool business. Actually the wool bales were more difficult than most of the wooden pieces. I guess I won't give up my day job just yet to go into model bale production.

I think the truck turned out well and have posted photo below, the truck against its inspiration as well as a couple of other views.

Cheers
LiliB
:U:U:U

Chipman
11th January 2009, 11:35 AM
I have been watching your WIP.

Truly a wonderful creation:2tsup:

Chipman

Charleville
11th January 2009, 06:27 PM
That is a delight to behold!

Congratulations!

Just looking at it made me feel good. :)

fletty
11th January 2009, 07:01 PM
that's truly lovely LiliB, even down to the scale truckies hitch knots on the ropes!
I hate to say it but I've got to agree with your husband, the squatter would be mighty peeved at the 'hungry bales' and the baler himself would have been sacked!
lovely work, Fletty

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th January 2009, 07:08 PM
Now you need to make a lockable display case to keep itchy fingers away from it... :D

Very, very nicely done!

chrisb691
11th January 2009, 07:28 PM
Wonderfull work. :2tsup:

mick59wests
12th January 2009, 07:42 AM
I have to say it is an inspiration. It was great to follow the progress and see the finished project.

Great work

Mick:2tsup:

LiliB
12th January 2009, 12:09 PM
Hi everyone
Thanks so much for your positive comments. Charleville, yours was particularly nice. I feel that way too.

Fletty, you're right. I think they actually look more like bags of spuds, and I have begged Dave to have a go at making wooden bales, because I think the bales let the job down a bit. But at the moment no deal. Anyway, wives usually get their way in the end. He's busy building his entertainment unit, and has major painting to do, so toys will have to wait.

We're trying to build up a little stock of things to try our hand at the markets and see whether theres a prospect for selling our wares, as well as seeing what the public likes. I'd like him to have a go at an old sports car next, and have Googled Jaguar SS 100 to see how hard it is. According to Dave the two trucks are a 'piece of cake' compared to the sports cars of the 30s, but I think the Bugatti I also printed off might make it to production sometime in the future.

We'll see. I'll keep posting.

Cheers
LiliB

fletty
12th January 2009, 02:33 PM
Hi everyone
.....and have Googled Jaguar SS 100....

XK120
XK120
XK120 .... please?

Fletty

LiliB
12th January 2009, 02:55 PM
Hi Fletty
Greedy boy!!! Actually I downloaded an XK140, with the express purpose of putting it up for model construction at some time. But the two SS 100 models shown below are worth a crack. I especially love the one with the square back. It's got such elegant lines. The hardest thing will be to work out how on earth you model wire wheel with knock on hubs.

The 1938 Bugatti Atalante is also a drop dead gorgeous machine, but at this stage will be put on the backburner.

I guess I'll be ratting the shed for our Classic Jags book which was put away with my old school teaching stuff some time ago. Hope the mice havent't got into it.

Cheers
LiliB

wheelinround
12th January 2009, 02:57 PM
In British racing Green http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1950_Jaguar_XK120_34.jpg

I'd prefer this 1931 Boat tail Rolls http://blog.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/rolls_royce.jpg

or More this Angus_Sanderson
:U
http://img.prewarcar.com/prewar/cars/Angus-Sanderson_250.jpg

LiliB
12th January 2009, 03:04 PM
Fair crack of the whip, Wheelin'.
I've never even heard of these two fellows. How can you model based on one or two photos? Next thing you'll be suggesting a Hispano Suiza or some other such old war horse.

Actually there was a drop dead gorgeous Merc in the Art Deco show in Melbourne, but don't know what it was and it didn't feature in the catalogue I bought. We began by discussing the Cord that was on display, but I think it would be a bridge too far at this stage. Besides, I wouldn't agree to making it, unless we had some aluminium to scroll the chrome bits, and that doesn't seem easy to get up here.

Anyhow, what this proves is that the sky is the limit in model making. The only thing is you need good enough photos from all angles, and a basic chassis design to work from so that you get your modelling proportions right.

Cheers
LiliB
:;:;:;

wheelinround
12th January 2009, 03:18 PM
:o What you never heard of the Boat Tail Rolls Royce :roll:
I bet then you never heard of the Basket Rolls Royce this was one fitted with a Balloon Basket on the back

or the Angus-Sanderson who used to Build Rolls Royce Coach work
:D (my great grandfather) if it wasn't for them QANTAS first plane would not have flown

http://www.geocities.com/summerhillroad2002/rolls_royce_1913.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/summerhillroad2002/percy_perrin.htm

Rolls-Royce Silver Ghosts in 1913, coachbuilt by Angus, Sanderson. Its detailing, which included inlaid mother of pearl and special upholstery, suggest that Ethel had an important hand in its design as Percy was a man of plain tastes.(The illustration is an example of a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost 1913)

munruben
12th January 2009, 03:33 PM
Excellent work LiliB, fantastic effort all round.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

coffenup
12th January 2009, 07:55 PM
love it congrats on the project
Regards Michael

artme
14th January 2009, 12:08 AM
:o:o In the words of Inspector Gadget ' WOWSERS!' :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
14th January 2009, 08:06 PM
What a superb job, congrats to you both.
and as the others have said, those bales seem a bit underfilled. :2tsup: you probably needed another teddy bear!
I remember doing it as a kid, shed roustabout during shearing time, dad would have skun me if I'd had them as loose as those appear to be :o

LiliB
15th January 2009, 10:47 AM
Hi Nick

Thanks for the kudos. I'm still determined to get some wooden bales made, whenever I can persuade Dave to find the time. He says making wooden bales is 'a piece of cake' so I guess the way to get them is the usual, 'okay, let's see you' which works every time.

At the moment the major toymaking project is to nut out a way to make authentic looking wire wheels for the Jag, problems being not just how to create the wire pattern, but also the ensure the wheel remains solid and workable.

And you're right about the bear. I reckon I needed two more, the original having been only lightly 'stuffed' (in more ways than one!!)

Cheers
LiliB

wheelinround
16th January 2009, 08:17 AM
Lilli wooden bales would not have been used they wouldn't have stored and travelled well, cut the possible weight being carried, more could be squashed into the sack bails giving more $$$ for packing weight.

LiliB
16th January 2009, 09:19 AM
Hi Wheelin

Noooo I want complete wooden bales to simulate the real ones. :no::no::no:

Dave says you could shape them perfectly, and I would paint them the right colour. After all, model making is creating the illusion of reality, when you're working with wood. I could guarantee that I can get an accurate colour rendition of the bales, and that Dave could get an accurate wood rendition.

I just think you could get a more regular and better shaped object, doing it this way, because my sewing skills leave a fair bit to be desired. (I wish I had paid more attention to the old bag whose classes in sewing I skipped in Year 8).

Cheers
Lili

Billy
23rd January 2009, 12:49 PM
ive got a couple of really good books on making really detailed timber vehicles, Making Classic Cars in wood by Joe B HicksSterling PublishingISBN 0-8069-6988-1, More of Blizzards Wooden Toys, by Richard BlizzardBBC Books 1987but the best is Blizzards Wonderful Wooden ToysISBN 0 563 16562 6 ( BBC) or ISBN 0 7195 4024 0 ( John Murray )the 1907 Rolls is a whopping 800mm long, detail blows your mind. Time to get back to making sawdust

LiliB
25th January 2009, 01:45 PM
Hi Billy

The link that Aussie put into his reply to 'What is a model car worth?' looks to be good for tracking down books on model and toy making. There is a link to a site that has a book listing, as well as plenty of web sites of model makers (an interesting one in Russia).

I have cut and pasted your book names and will search for them when I'm recovered from the Christmas binge on spending. I think resources such as books are an absolute must to keep the creative juices flowing.

On the subject of books, we seem to pay way too much for many of our books. I bought a recommended book on wood carving on Amazon, for a total of US$17.95 delivered. The book was out of print, and a net search showed it available from a second hand dealer in Oz for $219. (He's dreamin')

The only drawback with Amazon is that they send their stuff by 'teaclipper around Cape Horn' and its months til it gets here. They don't tell you that on the website when you are buying. I would happily pay a little more for airmail but they didn't give me the option.

Thanks again for you ideas
LiliB
:U:U:U