PDA

View Full Version : Sheoak Wanted

funkychicken
11th January 2009, 03:00 PM
I'm wanting to create a catalogue of sorts of all the different sheoaks.
I'll be making Marking knives out of the timbers, As Vern has his eggs, I have my knives:D

Thanks in advance

echnidna
11th January 2009, 04:22 PM
what size samples do you want?

funkychicken
11th January 2009, 06:01 PM
Forgot to mention sizes:doh: 35x35x130mm minimum, I've got a bandsaw so don't worry if the piece is rather irregular looking

watson
11th January 2009, 07:18 PM
No...not gonna happen......you can't have that info.........you're not old enough.

:D
Noel

dai sensei
11th January 2009, 09:55 PM
I've got some Rose and Black Sheoak big enough for handles here FC, if your coming to the BBQ I can give some then, or else give them to Wendy to pass on.

funkychicken
12th January 2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks Neil, I'll pick it up at the BBQ

robutacion
13th January 2009, 12:03 AM
I'm wanting to create a catalogue of sorts of all the different sheoaks.
I'll be making Marking knives out of the timbers, As Vern has his eggs, I have my knives:D

Thanks in advance

Hi FC,
If you want some of the local sheoak I got a few months ago (thread on it, from the spot where I had some stolen from...!, pic included), just send me a prepaid bag, there will be no charge for the timber. If this is of interest, PM me , I will give you the postal details.

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

reeves
14th January 2009, 01:48 PM
funkyC, as u r at meringadan, take trip up the hill to ravensblourne theres heaops of rose sheok, the allocasurina torluoasa al over the place, often fallen down, also gran some hairy oak (inopholia) outwest and river oak (cuninghami) wich is griows aorund crows nest way, heaps of others such as bull oak, scrub oak, black oak the belah and of course the fraserna from WA....also the tasie varieties such as littoralis have great figure...

cheeeeeeeeeeeeers
john

nifty
12th February 2009, 07:13 PM
happy to send some WA fraserna and if you like some WA native woody pear. pm if interested:2tsup:

funkychicken
8th March 2009, 06:22 PM
So far I've got:
Hairy Oak
Rose Sheoak
"Forest Oak" (supposedly)
Black Sheoak
Bull Oak
River Oak

And promises of:
WA Sheoak
DJ Sheoak
Weisy Sheoak

Wikipedia says that there are 60 different Allocasuarinas, I have 9. Surely someone's got the other 51 hidden away somewhere

springwater
8th March 2009, 07:06 PM
I could get you some Allocasuarina paludosa, Scrub Sheoak.

Wongdai
8th March 2009, 07:27 PM
I've got some sheoak but how would I know which sort I have?

funkychicken
8th March 2009, 07:34 PM
I've got some sheoak but how would I know which sort I have?

Stick a picture up, a shot of the bark and wane will help with identification

HazzaB
13th March 2009, 09:44 PM
Hey Funky,

I have some SheOak from Busselton, pretty special looking, send me a PM and I will get some to you, I will take some Pics over the week end.

Harry B

Wongdai
14th March 2009, 01:25 AM
Stick a picture up, a shot of the bark and wane will help with identification

There's no bark on it any more sorry. Its dry dressed and ready.

funkychicken
14th March 2009, 11:37 AM
There's no bark on it any more sorry. Its dry dressed and ready.

Oh well, put a picture up anyway

Wizened of Oz
14th March 2009, 10:57 PM
Weisy Sheoak

Wikipedia says that there are 60 different Allocasuarinas, I have 9. Surely someone's got the other 51 hidden away somewhere

Hi fc

I mustn't be dogmatic about number of species in a genus as things often change in plant taxonomy.
But at present there are 58 species classified as Allocasuarina, all of them occuring in Australia. But a mere handful of these are trees; most are just shrubs, many quite small, and many very restricted in distribution.
Then there are 17 species classified Casuarina. Six of these occur in Australia and all are trees.
The Casuarina family has been split into four genera but the other two are almost all exotic. The one exception that I'm aware of is the Daintree Pine, Gymnostoma australianum, very rare in the wild.
I have a number of them growing but only about 2m high yet. I may never see a piece of timber.
Anyway, the washup of all this is that if you had 11 different sheoak timbers then that's maybe all the Australian species that will yield some useful wood.

funkychicken
15th March 2009, 04:36 PM
I heard from a bloke today that there's over 500 different sheoaks, I think Brian is righter(:p) though.

So far I have,

"Rose Sheoak" Allo.Torulosa (I think)
Bull oak Allo. Luehmannii
Hairy Oak Allo. Inophloia
Black Sheoak Allo. Littoralis
Forest Oak (says Stirlo)
River Oak Casuarina cunninghamiana

With promises of:

Belah Casuarina Cristata
Swamp Sheoak Casuarina Obesa (Can anyone confirm that it's a real sheoak?)
WA Sheoak Allo. Fraseriana
Lace Sheoak Allo. Fraseriana
Drooping Sheoak Allo. Verticillata
DJ Sheoak
Weisyboy Sheoak
HazzaB Sheoak (most likely WA Sheoak)

In pen blank for I have two sheoaks that I've never seen before

That's 14 so far

BobL
15th March 2009, 04:52 PM
[/I]Swamp Sheoak Casuarina Obesa (Can anyone confirm that it's a real sheoak?)

Yes it is.

What about Karri Oak, very similar to Torulosa but different
And Rock Oak.

Can probably get you a piece of the Rock, provided you guarantee me you won't make a pen out of it :oo: I don't like pens.

funkychicken
15th March 2009, 05:27 PM
Yes it is.

What about Karri Oak, very similar to Torulosa but different
And Rock Oak.

Can probably get you a piece of the Rock, provided you guarantee me you won't make a pen out of it :oo: I don't like pens.

Never heard of Karri Oak Chorilaena quercifolia, I'm not sure it's be of any use to me because it's not a casuarina.

I'll gladly accept the Rock Oak (Allocasuarina rupicola, correct?) If it's 35mm square then I'll make a knife out of it

springwater
15th March 2009, 06:07 PM
Funk I've wrongly named the Allocasuarina I said I would send to you. I'm sending Allocasuarina verticillata not Allocasuarina paludosa which is called Scrub Sheoak in Victoria. Apperently the name Scrub Sheoak in NSW is used for Allocasuarina distyla. Confused? So are Sheoaks.

funkychicken
15th March 2009, 06:41 PM
Funk I've wrongly named the Allocasuarina I said I would send to you. I'm sending Allocasuarina verticillata not Allocasuarina paludosa which is called Scrub Sheoak in Victoria. Apperently the name Scrub Sheoak in NSW is used for Allocasuarina distyla. Confused? So are Sheoaks.

Drooping Sheoak it is then. Are you 100% sure of the specie?

jow104
15th March 2009, 06:49 PM
Is this link of any help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allocasuarina

springwater
15th March 2009, 07:31 PM
Drooping Sheoak it is then. Are you 100% sure of the specie?

100%, I met with the local ranger who also knows of the particular tree it came from.

hazard
15th March 2009, 07:46 PM
I have some Allocasuarina Pauvre (Black Sheoak from South Australia)near Waikerie. NOT Belah. Different species Can post sample if required. Can be seen on Vern's egg site. Regards Hazard

funkychicken
15th March 2009, 08:11 PM
I have some Allocasuarina Pauvre (Black Sheoak from South Australia)near Waikerie. NOT Belah. Different species Can post sample if required. Can be seen on Vern's egg site. Regards Hazard

Allocasuarina Pauvre? You French? Do you mean Allocasuarina Pauper? I'll gladly swipe some then

hazard
15th March 2009, 08:25 PM
Sorry Funky Chicken slip of the ageing memory. Yes it is Pauper. Same sort of meaning similar word. Weird coloured timber, sort of pink and grey. If you PM your address I will send sample 35x 35x 130? Regards Hazard

springwater
20th March 2009, 10:55 PM
Ok Funk, I should have some Allocasuarina verticillata cut this weekend so expect delivery sometime this week coming. I'm aiming to cut 50 x 50 x 160mm as I've only got a hand saw to do it with and I can't guarantee precision so the blanks will have some built in dimension tolerance for free :rolleyes:. I haven't got a moisture meter, all I can say is the wood is "green". I'll paint it with some acrylic paint in an attempt to slow down moisture loss and hope that retards any cracking.

funkychicken
20th March 2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks Mr Springwater:2tsup:

BobL
22nd March 2009, 11:51 PM
Never heard of Karri Oak Chorilaena quercifolia, I'm not sure it's be of any use to me because it's not a casuarina.

I reading a book on WA plants and just found out that Karri Oak is actually Casuarina decussata.

springwater
23rd March 2009, 08:46 PM
Well, after enjoying getting some sweat up hand sawing 2 blanks from the log to approximate dimensions I trimmed them to approximately 50 x 50 x 320ish on a table saw so you should be able to get 4 blanks from them. Great looking wood with the typical characteristics of Allocasuarina grain. I've been worried about them cracking and have given them a stern talking to about doing so but one has decided to misbehave and has started to crack but I don't think it'll go far :-:? the other remains solid. I've given them both 3 coats of egg shell blue acrylic paint :rolleyes: so they look a tad bazaar, consider this like the wrapping of a present to which I think you'll enjoy getting. Now I hope that they handle the climate change they're about to endure. Posting tomorrow, good luck with them:2tsup:

funkychicken
23rd March 2009, 09:07 PM
I reading a book on WA plants and just found out that Karri Oak is actually Casuarina decussata.

Great! Canya get me a piece?

Well, after enjoying getting some sweat up hand sawing 2 blanks from the log to approximate dimensions I trimmed them to approximately 50 x 50 x 320ish on a table saw so you should be able to get 4 blanks from them. Great looking wood with the typical characteristics of Allocasuarina grain. I've been worried about them cracking and have given them a stern talking to about doing so but one has decided to misbehave and has started to crack but I don't think it'll go far :-:? the other remains solid. I've given them both 3 coats of egg shell blue acrylic paint :rolleyes: so they look a tad bazaar, consider this like the wrapping of a present to which I think you'll enjoy getting. Now I hope that they handle the climate change they're about to endure. Posting tomorrow, good luck with them:2tsup:

funkychicken
24th March 2009, 08:39 PM
The Sheoak form DJ and Hazard has arrived. Thanks guys:2tsup:

Wizened of Oz
28th March 2009, 10:17 PM
Hi Funky
Well I went up the slope today and harvested a bit of Rose Sheoak for us.
Definitely Allocasuarina littoralis, and although only small section it has great colour and figure. I can post you the lump in the photo if you like. It's absolutely green, of course. Alternatively, we could meet up at TWW in 8 weeks. I can bring you more of this and some more black sheoak if you wanted it.

Wizened of Oz
5th April 2009, 10:19 PM
Hi Funky
Well I went up the slope today and harvested a bit of Rose Sheoak for us.
Definitely Allocasuarina littoralis,

In case I confused anybody reading this thread, that should be "definitely Allocasuarina torulosa".

springwater
5th April 2009, 10:37 PM
In case I confused anybody reading this thread, that should be "definitely Allocasuarina torulosa".

Don't worry Wiz, Allocasuarina's seem to cause a confusing affliction to other people too, like me. Poor things don't know if they're Aurthur or Martha after someone decided they weren't what they were:rolleyes: