PDA

View Full Version : Big wooden clock

nine fingers
12th January 2009, 05:06 PM
After reading Lonesomebob's article on a humungus wooden clock ,I thought this clock , is a big one .
Kevin Bird a wooden geared clock maker was commissioned to make this one for the Tourist Information Centre in Nannup WA.
Google Nannup clockworks- clock tower project .
regards nine fingers

lonesomebob
15th January 2009, 03:24 AM
After reading Lonesomebob's article on a humungus wooden clock ,I thought this clock , is a big one .
Kevin Bird a wooden geared clock maker was commissioned to make this one for the Tourist Information Centre in Nannup WA.
Google Nannup clockworks- clock tower project .
regards nine fingers
After reading all the neat things other people mentioned, The gears are laminated, the clock appears to be a thomas clock but not having the front and back sawed away, Not knowing exactly what wheels are missing I sent for the thomas plans. My wife is in the midst of a new knee, she opted for the 50 year guarantee one, I may have some time to mess with the clock. Will tear it completely apart, replace any missing or broken parts, make a face with Masonic symbols instead of numbers. specal shaped hands,and all. It will be shelf mounted at first. this is my initiation piece.Thanks all. Bob ,Past master Mason and long time turtle.

Hobbyhorse
16th January 2009, 05:34 PM
Bob, glad you have it sorted.

Rhys

lonesomebob
29th January 2009, 01:00 AM
Rhys; Thanks for the help, It is a Thomas grandfather clock, missing about 6 wheels and other parts, The guys from clock mechanics sold me a set of instructions and drawings. My clock may be an earlier version because the wheels are not pierced and the front and back is not cut away to show the workings. With their kind help I do believe that I can replicate the missing pieces and have a very hansome clock, the works are made from glued up plies. probably will have to spin each to see if there is any warpage, appears to have brass bushings on each shaft,would bone or ivory be better? Any suggestions or tips or helpful advice will be happily appreciated. Bob