PDA

View Full Version : First atempt

Vasco
9th May 2004, 10:31 PM
This is my first attempt at turning. I had to make the handle for my pen mill before I could make the pens.
A special thank you to Sprog and Joe for the advice.
Regards Vasco

Sprog
9th May 2004, 10:52 PM
Hey, good job. :)

Bit of a tip, you might want to put a ferrule at the bottom of any handles you make, helps to stop them splitting.

You might want to have a look at your local WA Woodturners Association group, you will get lots of help there.

To find the group in your area choose from the list at
WA Woodturners Association (http://www.wawa.com.au/)

Vasco
9th May 2004, 11:19 PM
Sprog,
Till this morning I didn't know that I was going to do any turning this weekend. I was so excited that I was actually making it work that I couldn't wait till next Sat to get to Timbecon for the Ferrules. I figured that there is so little stress on this tool that I would get away with it.....I hope, if not I get to do more turning :) .
Regards Vasco

gatiep
9th May 2004, 11:27 PM
Vasco

If you intend making a number of pens, it is a good idea to get a small metal adaptor to screw onto your penmill. Then you can insert it into a drill, especially a battery drill, and it makes squaring up the blanks a treat.

Also try experimenting with the shape of your pens. I do some pens for older people with arthritis, by putting a bulge in the wood a little above the metal tip. This makes it easier for them to hold the pen.

Nice work, well done. You can be proud of your pens.
Cya
Joe