PDA

View Full Version : Another visitor to Kiewa

jefferson
12th January 2009, 09:08 PM
Calm (David) has just left.

We had a few hours tinkering in the shed, mainly with my VL 300 and some new Continental spindle gouges that insisted I acquire. (Sorry , I bought two instead of one, half inch and 3/4. Ern has a name for fellow tool nuts that I won't repeat).

As you can see, Calm likes the Vicmarc. Maybe he'll get one soon. Here's a hoping.

I also got a different perspective on turning spindles. Strange, but different methods work.

Thanks again David for the visit!

Jeff

RETIRED
12th January 2009, 11:14 PM
Bet it is cleaner than when I left?

Real turning? Another convert to the "Black Arts"?:D

tea lady
12th January 2009, 11:38 PM
Bet it is cleaner than when I left?

Real turning? Another convert to the "Black Arts"?:D

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! :C

:D

jefferson
13th January 2009, 09:07 AM
Yes, , the shed is much cleaner now. Three large plastic bags filled with chips and dust, all ready for the compost heap.

It now appears quite clear that I need to put doors on all my open cabinets. You sprayed chips into most of them!

Now I don't know why but the new Continental gouges are more user friendly than my German gouges (all Hamlet tools). Any ideas? The Continental gouges are certainly flatter.

Jeff

artme
13th January 2009, 09:39 AM
Can't comment on the pice in the lathe because it's moving too fast.

VL 300 looks great, however! :2tsup::D:p

rsser
13th January 2009, 04:14 PM
Jeff, whatever works for you is what you go with. Pays not to know too much.

jefferson
13th January 2009, 04:20 PM
Ern, I thing you are right. A little bit of knowledge can be very, very dangerous.

Thankfully, all the forumites are happy to share their knowledge and not keep it to their graves. That does inspire me, I must say.

But as says...... I must learn to use the "basic" kit of tools and rely less on the toys. Some wisdom there. That said, it's easy for a master spindle turner like to use 3 chisels, not the 35 that my collection has now grown to!!

I will be haunting some of you over the coming 12 months, so beware! Starting with you Ern and your Stubby later in the month. (As an aside, Calm tells me I need one. Don't tell the wife that.)

regards and happy turning

Jeff

rsser
13th January 2009, 05:10 PM
+1 to 's comment, as a tool whore myself :-

Getting a tool is only the start ... learning how to use it, well, for amateurs like us there's years in it.

When I change motorbikes, it takes 6-9 months of 500 km Sunday rides to get a feel for it.

And a 'catch' on one of those is 3 demerit points and some big bucks :(

Grumpy John
13th January 2009, 05:45 PM
[quote=rsser;877457....................... And a 'catch' on one of those is 3 demerit points and some big bucks :([/quote]

Unless it's the footpeg catching on the tarmac :)(, then it gets really painfull.

rsser
13th January 2009, 05:47 PM
LoL.

These days we have 'hero knobs' on the footpegs, so we shear scrape rather than catch :wink:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th January 2009, 06:13 PM
But as says...... I must learn to use the "basic" kit of tools and rely less on the toys. Some wisdom there. That said, it's easy for a master spindle turner like to use 3 chisels, not the 35 that my collection has now grown to!!

35!! :oo:

You don't need to be a master to manage with way less chisels than that... just a tightarsed scrounger. :-

Calm
13th January 2009, 08:16 PM
35!! :oo:

You don't need to be a master to manage with way less chisels than that... just a tightarsed scrounger. :-

Thats me with a total of 7 most of them HT.:D:D:q:p

Cheers

rsser
13th January 2009, 08:55 PM
Way to go Calm. A few quality tools like HT ...

My last count came to an embarrassing total, most of which I never use.

Calm
13th January 2009, 09:02 PM
Way to go Calm. A few quality tools like HT ...

My last count came to an embarrassing total, most of which I never use.

My Scottish ancestry doesnt allow for that extravaganse.:D:D:roll:

I will be haunting some of you over the coming 12 months, so beware! Starting with you Ern and your Stubby later in the month. (As an aside, Calm tells me I need one. Don't tell the wife that.)

regards and happy turning

Jeff

Ern there is a plan here you know - jeff buys Stubby - sells vicmark.

I hope i can rely on your help here Ern, I am sure a Stubby would suit a molly dooker far better than a vicmark:D:D:D what with the moveable bed and all:2tsup::2tsup::roll::roll:

Cheers

ps i thought you would have seen that one coming:B

jefferson
13th January 2009, 09:09 PM
I have a policy of acquiring quality gear - and never getting rid of it. So if anything, I am thinking of a quality pivot head to allow for my left-handedness. But given my 50-50 bent on woodworking / woodturning, I don't think the VL will be on the market any time soon.

Jeff

rsser
14th January 2009, 06:48 AM
Yeah, and if you swapped the VM for a Stubby you'd have too much room left in the shed ;-}

Calm
14th January 2009, 11:25 PM
Can;t you blokes just let me dream for a while.

(wherre is the envy smilie when you want it) talking of Stubby;s & VL300 on the one thread :o:o

cheers

jefferson
15th January 2009, 07:33 AM
Ern,

I bet there a quite a few of us that have never seen a Stubby.

What about a few pics?

That might just send David over the edge and into his fat wallet.

Jeff

rsser
15th January 2009, 08:09 AM
Well, David's actually used mine.

For pics see some of the turnfest threads or http://omega.2pp.in/

Little Festo
16th January 2009, 07:42 PM
This might be extravagance but couldn't get myself to throw the VL300 (short bed) away when I got the Stubby so have both in the workshop, actually the wife and my mate Jeff use the Vicmarc. Must admit both are great lathes.

Peter

Calm
16th January 2009, 07:59 PM
This might be extravagance but couldn't get myself to yhrow the VL300 away.
Stop it you blokes will ya it's not fair -:no::C:C:C:C:C:C:no:

Sawdust Maker
17th January 2009, 09:04 AM
Well I've never had a play on either. Usually have a big drool over the vicmarcs at carbatec whenever I visit :no: They always look to be a very well constructed piece of equipment.

jefferson
That shed looks too tidy and too clean, can you rectify it please :q

jefferson
17th January 2009, 06:44 PM
Now listen Tick, I've been busting my butt the last couple of weeks to rectify the shed problems. New cabinets, new storage space.....

It's never-ending. As says, the domino principle. I'll post some pics soon to sooth those out there that think I'm sitting on my behind.

Main problem is the heat. We have 43 degrees during last week, with more to follow from Monday. A 6 am start. After that, well the fridge has some VBs in cold storage.

Jeff

Sawdust Maker
17th January 2009, 07:33 PM
Now listen Tick,
Main problem is the heat. We have 43 degrees during last week, with more to follow from Monday. A 6 am start. After that, well the fridge has some VBs in cold storage.

Jeff

Now Geoff
We need to discuss your beer
VB, you poor man, did you do something really really bad in a previous life :o
try some Little Creatures - lovely beer :2tsup:

rsser
18th January 2009, 04:44 PM
So it is .. and comes in diff varieties.

Bit hard tho to pick up a slab at the same price as VB.

FWIW, my son set up a blind tasting for me (and no, that's not when I was 'blind drunk' but might as well have been) ... and the VB came out close to top.

A salutory lesson ... it's not the label that you drink ;-}