PDA

View Full Version : Filing System

RufflyRustic
12th January 2009, 09:25 PM
I'm a bit of a paper hoarder, especially when it comes to bills and warranty cards, receipts for specific items etc etc. After trying to find a particular piece of paper in a 5 year stack of filing, I gave up and designed a better filing system for myself. It then took me another 6 months to get the chance to build it, but what better way to spend one's holiday than relaxing and building a big project such as this. :D The way it works is that you walk up to it, find the appropriately-labelled drawer and 'post' the A4 sheet of paper into the slot at the top of its drawer, then you walk away very happy as the whole process only took, what 10 seconds?:U

It's made from pine with the main body painted a light yellow. The top is pine finished with hard shellac and with just a touch of some pitch pocket pine as a bit of a signature accent.

24 drawers all up. No, not dovetailed:rolleyes:, just rebated, glued and screwed. The drawer bottoms are mdf, and are rebated into the front and back and simply butt up to the sides, held in place with glue and screws. The reason for this is that with a little cutout on the ends, I had instant drawer guides and a pidgeon hole slot for the A4 sheet of paper to be filed. Basic, but effective.

The bottom drawers are double sized for long term storage, eg 7 years worth of tax returns etc etc

I'll be attaching brass filing label holders when they arrive sometime soon.

It stands about 1300 high, 850 wide and 400 deep.

Very handy, but now I have to go sort out 5 years of filing :doh::D

cheers
Wendy

mic-d
12th January 2009, 10:11 PM
Wow that looks great Wendy, you've been a busy bee! That's exactly what we need, can you come do our filing when you're finished?:? You will be an expert.:D
BTW, there is a ghost in your window.:oo:

Cheers
Michael

RufflyRustic
12th January 2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks Mic!

maybe it should come with a warning - Beware showing your partner this, you could be building 24 drawers yourself :oo::wink::D

Best ghost picture I ever took :wink::U

cheers
Wendy

watson
12th January 2009, 10:22 PM
Very Smicko!! - when's filing week???

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th January 2009, 10:24 PM
My system's a lot simpler... just a slot cut into the lid of a plastic garbage bin. :rolleyes:

Something tells me that yours would be much more user-friendly come the end of the tax year, though. :2tsup:

chippy 71
12th January 2009, 11:59 PM
I have a mate who has a busy and fairly profitable business, no computers and his filing system is a four gallon tin under his desk.:doh:
I could not believe it when I first saw it, but it works for him!:no:

Colin.

Ashore
13th January 2009, 12:03 AM
I've got more than 21 arears to file under , thats why I use a filing cabinet, but if it works for you :roll:

BobR
13th January 2009, 08:21 AM
Every house should have one :2tsup:

artme
13th January 2009, 09:35 AM
Good one Wendy! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I might have time to build one, but I DO NOT have time to do the filing.:D:D

RufflyRustic
13th January 2009, 09:50 AM
:rotfl:

If I let myself hoard that much, I'd need more than 21 drawers too, but I figured this was a way of keeping the essential and making me get rid of the non-essential - I hope!!

Nothing wrong with a bin or a tin or even a box for filing. :2tsup: My filing system at work is an A4 paper box under the desk:)

cheers
Wendy

Ozkaban
13th January 2009, 10:47 AM
That's unreal Wendy...

I could imagine having a drawer for each year of stuff that you need to keep for X years, then when you reach the X'th year you just upend the oldest drawer into the bin and relabel... Very nifty.

I feel yet another project being added to a very long list :doh:

Cheers,
Dave

Wongdai
13th January 2009, 10:56 AM
That's a top idea Wendy, and looks a whole lot nicer than a filing cabinet.

I had better not let my wife see it or she will want me to build one for her!

Harry72
13th January 2009, 02:26 PM
Good work Wendy, well thought out too:)

Peter36
13th January 2009, 04:53 PM
Ingenious Ruffly and heaps better than the metal spikes mounted to a heavy base that I use :D

Peter

dai sensei
13th January 2009, 07:34 PM
Interesting Wendy, certainly makes the filing away a simple process.

Do you have just 24 categories, or does each drawer have more then one?

TTIT
13th January 2009, 08:02 PM
tsk, tsk, tsk Wendy! That would make a far better storage system for the shed - a drawer for each grade of sandpaper, one for router bits etc etc etc:2tsup:. Just let the paper pile up and tell the tax-man to find it himself if it comes to it :shrug: :;

Master Splinter
13th January 2009, 08:46 PM
Thinking of that much paperwork stored away only hardens my resolve to not have a letterbox at all...

RufflyRustic
13th January 2009, 09:28 PM
Ingenious Ruffly and heaps better than the metal spikes mounted to a heavy base that I use :D

Peter

:oo: If I ever dared used a filing system like that, I think it would result in me needing to post a Gore Warning-type thread:rolleyes: :o

tsk, tsk, tsk Wendy! That would make a far better storage system for the shed - a drawer for each grade of sandpaper, one for router bits etc etc etc:2tsup:. Just let the paper pile up and tell the tax-man to find it himself if it comes to it :shrug: :;

Uh Oh! , you sussed me out:D It would make a fantastic shed storage unit. Just think of how much easier it would be to store all the screw sizes I use, the nails, the hinges and handles I could stock:rolleyes::D I was seriously considering keeping it out there, but after looking around to find the right place to put it, I realised that I didn't have any room or wall space left, so it did end up in the house. Besides, I don't want to build 24 drawers in a row for quite a while!! :no: Definitely time for some more boxes :D