PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk Pine - table

DK Claus
10th May 2004, 12:20 AM
I have a Norfolk Pine slap - 2'' thick by 160cm wide (cross cut) and 300 cm long. I plan on make a table out of it for use under our pergola. Hence, it will be partly protected against rain but will receive a fair bit of direct sun. I have 2 questions:

1) Despite painting both ends they split in the centre while the slap dried. The splits are 2-3 mm and 40-50cm long. What can I do to close the splits - and stop further splitting? Fill the split up with canaubra wax and then proceed to seal and polish the slap?

2) I would like a natural look and hence prefer an oil finish. The table will take an fair amount of beating from the kids plus drink spils etc etc . After sanding I plan on sealing top and bottom with Feast Watson Proofseal followed by a suitable large number of Scandinavian Oil and/or Fine Buffeting oil coats. Both contains tung oil and appear to have a reasonable resistance to sun and rain plus they are easily re-coated/repaired.

Any recommendations and advise much appreciated.

DK Claus

10th May 2004, 07:09 PM
I made a coffer table out of camphour laurel 15 years ago that had a hole big enough to put my fist through. I filled it with fibre glass. I was so impressed with this method that i still use it to fill any defect in any timber that i use, knots, knicks, holes etc. The table is still going strong and the hole is still a talking point. The only thing to be careful about id sanding. Recommend you waer goggle, i didn't and ended up in hospital for several hours having my eyes washed!.
Fed

leighd
10th May 2004, 08:49 PM
west systems would be good aswell. it uses a microfibre gap fill and u can add oxide colouring to match the wood

DK Claus
17th May 2004, 09:20 PM
Thanks - my concern is that the fiber glass may not do the job since the split is in from end piece and in. I presume the split will expand and contract over time no matter how well I seaL the whole slap - hence a somewhat flexible filler may be better ???? What about the top coat ? Any suggestions ?

17th May 2004, 09:24 PM
the split is in from end piece and in. I presume the split will expand and contract over time

I fixed an end split about four inches long and half inch thick, worked fine for me.
Gary