PDA

View Full Version : 'Ripple in time' or 'anyway up clock'

TTIT
13th January 2009, 12:07 AM
Noticed my old friend from Ballarat didn't have a wall clock so I had this idea to signify the 35 years since we had seen each other. Was going great guns until I hit the worm tunnel but filling it with sawdust and CA left it looking almost natural. Really happy with the way it came out - very tempted to keep it but it will probably end up back here one day anyway :shrug:
1. Rose mahogany blank with scrap camphor glued on the edges to make life easier. Drive at this stage was just tailstock pressure against a wooden disc mounted on a chuck.
2. Cutting a recess to mount on the standard jaws.
3. Bugga! - bloody grubs! Not turning back now, grubholes or not.
4. Used an Oland tool to cut the 'ripples' in the front and back. Should have taken the time to cut out a template/pattern but didn't bother with a plan either so what the hell - went by feel :shrug:
5: Added a ring to the back to make up the depth for the clock-movement.
6. Trued the ring up and undercut the inside for mounting over a hook - combined with a number-less face, it means the clock can be mounted any way up :U
7. Drilling the 10mm holes for the Norfolk Island Hibiscus plugs.
8. Plugs trimmed, recess cut for movement mounting nut, scrap wings removed on the table saw and everything sanded ready for 3 coats of Minwax Wipe-on poly.
9/10. Done.

Wodjareckin?

Chipman
13th January 2009, 12:18 AM
Noticed my old friend from Ballarat didn't have a wall clock so I had this idea to signify the 35 years since we had seen each other. Was going great guns until I hit the worm tunnel but filling it with sawdust and CA left it looking almost natural. Really happy with the way it came out - very tempted to keep it but it will probably end up back here one day anyway :shrug:
1. Rose mahogany blank with scrap camphor glued on the edges to make life easier. Drive at this stage was just tailstock pressure against a wooden disc mounted on a chuck.
2. Cutting a recess to mount on the standard jaws.
3. Bugga! - bloody grubs! Not turning back now, grubholes or not.
4. Used an Oland tool to cut the 'ripples' in the front and back. Should have taken the time to cut out a template/pattern but didn't bother with a plan either so what the hell - went by feel :shrug:
5: Added a ring to the back to make up the depth for the clock-movement.
6. Trued the ring up and undercut the inside for mounting over a hook - combined with a number-less face, it means the clock can be mounted any way up :U
7. Drilling the 10mm holes for the Norfolk Island Hibiscus plugs.
8. Plugs trimmed, recess cut for movement mounting nut, scrap wings removed on the table saw and everything sanded ready for 3 coats of Minwax Wipe-on poly.
9/10. Done.

Wodjareckin?

I reckin you pretty good at making clocks!:2tsup::2tsup:
You also come up with some really great designs. an sometimes the ones that "just happen" without plans end up looking the best IMO.

Sometimes I just leave the bug holes in the wood... gives it a bit of character
The sacrificial strips make life a lot easier and SAFER!

Nice one TTIT:2tsup:

Regards,
Chipman

Mobil Man
13th January 2009, 12:21 AM
Don't know how you come up with the ideas but that is real nice. Great idea. Oh, and I like that drill jig.:2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
13th January 2009, 07:33 AM
Vern a great gift and brilliant looking clock

Hardenfast
13th January 2009, 07:46 AM
Ecellent work Vern, and great series of pics. Interesting concept that you've got there - I'll bet there's a few of these clocks kicking around by the end of the year.

You know, I also quite like the appearance of the piece with the sacrificial edges still attached. Nice contrasting timbers. The end result is superb. I'm betting you don't get it back.

Wayne

Rum Pig
13th January 2009, 08:52 AM
That sure is one nice clock :2tsup:
As to weather you get it back or not I guess only time will tell:D:U:q

Ed Reiss
13th January 2009, 01:03 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Harry72
13th January 2009, 02:33 PM
"Wodjareckin?"

Bloominbrillantmate!

Allan at Wallan
13th January 2009, 06:33 PM
I think I hate wood turners who can make
"something out of nothing".:D

Brilliant job Vern.:2tsup:

Allan

hughie
13th January 2009, 08:08 PM
wodirekin is ya dun good :2tsup:

dai sensei
13th January 2009, 08:19 PM
Don't know how you come up with the ideas but that is real nice. Great idea. Oh, and I like that drill jig.:2tsup::2tsup:

:whs: Love the clock and I've got another drilling job to do too :U

powderpost
13th January 2009, 09:14 PM
Very nice Job Vern, quite unique. :2tsup:
Jim

lubbing5cherubs
13th January 2009, 10:57 PM
Beautiful Job and Vern Mate that glue on to make it round I am going to pinch that idea too that brilliant to save some knuckles. Thanks for the tip. Get to steal another one off you
Mate again it a ripper the clock your freind should enjoy it heaps
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th January 2009, 11:03 PM
Noice! I'd love to copy it, Vern, but I don't have the time... :rolleyes:

artme
13th January 2009, 11:47 PM
Good one Vern!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

TTIT
14th January 2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks for all the comments everyone - wasn't easy packing it up to go in the mail - think I'll start another one tomorrow just for me :U

Noice! I'd love to copy it, Vern, but I don't have the time... :rolleyes:Give it a shot Skew - really not that much time in it - would look good in Red-gum :;

Fredo
17th January 2009, 10:15 AM
G'day Vern,
Love your clock, I'll have to try and make one of those. The finish looks great. Just a question on that: Is the Minwax quick and easy to use like Feast Watson Danish Oil?

Fredo :U

TTIT
17th January 2009, 11:01 AM
G'day Vern,
Love your clock, I'll have to try and make one of those. The finish looks great. Just a question on that: Is the Minwax quick and easy to use like Feast Watson Danish Oil?

Fredo :UThe Minwax takes a bit longer to fully dry but it is the only thing that works well on Rose Mahogany - DO never dries on it as the timber is too oily. I often use the Minwax these days instead of a sanding sealer on very absorbent timber.

Sawdust Maker
17th January 2009, 03:36 PM
Yadungud - very nice clock
Doubt very much you'll get it back!

I reckon that worm hole is the perfect place for the day date function :D

Mrs Woodpecker
17th January 2009, 10:33 PM
As usual, a top job, Vern. You are a talented man. :2tsup::2tsup:
Shirley

I_wanna_Shed
17th January 2009, 10:47 PM
Fantastic job mate. A very unique piece of work. The worm tunnel has been turned into a small highlight.

Your friend should be very grateful!