PDA

View Full Version : See through Crystal Cabinet

fraserbluff
13th January 2009, 02:02 PM
I am contemplating a see through Crystal Cabinet, which is going to present a challenge to me. As it will have no back on it, I need to do something about making it not fall over side ways. At this stage I dont want to have to screw it to an upright. It will have glass doors front and back and glass shelves thus no conventional back to stiffen the carcase. See attached drawing-all dimensions are indicative only.

To give it rigidity I am planning to put "bracing" in the middle (halfway between front and back) as per the attached diagram. The "Bracing" will be through tenoned through the top and bottom and biscuit jointed down their backs to the sides of the cabinet. The middle timber shelf will be the tenoned through the sides. The corners will probably be finger jointed (Dovetailed if I can figure it).The question is, will it be sufficiently rigid to be free standing.

Also where in Melbourne (or otherwise) can you get timber to glass hinges.

Cheers

Donald (On the Rock)

AGRO76
17th February 2009, 05:22 PM
Hi Fraserbuff,

For the hinges there are a few hadware mobs who may have what you want as they do architectural products.

Hafele , Hettich and lincoln sentry

Hope this may help.

Claw Hama
17th February 2009, 05:37 PM
Hi FB, from the sketch it looks like it could be a little shaky, can you put glass in the back as well as the front to stiffen it up?

fraserbluff
25th February 2009, 08:17 PM
A full glass back was an option, but it didnt grab my fancy. I would have also preferred doors on the back. The question is, will the timber forming the "bracing" in the middle of the sides and the middle divider be sufficient to brace it?

I may have to make a "mock up" to test it.

Cheers

Donald (On the Rock)

Claw Hama
25th February 2009, 09:19 PM
Generaly you need some diaganal bracing to stop things from swaying. I am sure you wouldn't want a timber diaganal brace, the most likely option is then a glass panel.