PDA

View Full Version : Back yard visitors

Phil Spencer
13th January 2009, 04:07 PM
I have had some visitors to my backyard to feast on my fruit trees. I snapped these before my dog chased them away.

93940 93941

93942 93943

wheelinround
13th January 2009, 04:27 PM
Beaut shots

we have regular visitors of the same bread to our trees out back photo's taken so far are not worth putting up.

Phil Spencer
13th January 2009, 04:33 PM
Beaut shots

we have regular visitors of the same bread to our trees out back photo's taken so far are not worth putting up.

Thanks, The photos have been cropped in Photoshop Elements, I would like to know how the other guys get large pictures up on the forun (like Majors)..

Phil

wheelinround
13th January 2009, 04:36 PM
Major has a bloody good lens

fenderbelly
13th January 2009, 07:07 PM
I usually save the pics in photobucket then insert the link.

Like the pics.

Cheers Fred

wheelinround
15th May 2009, 04:10 PM
Here's an artist impression of one of Phil's photo's Thanks Phil. :2tsup:

Done in water colour now hung in LOML's weaving room :U

fenderbelly
15th May 2009, 04:16 PM
nicely done too, somebodys' talented.:2tsup:

Cheers Fred

wheelinround
15th May 2009, 05:14 PM
Very talented gave her a photo of an old friend of mine and its a spitting image is to be shown at Penrith show this year.

bsrlee
15th May 2009, 09:39 PM
Lorikeets, not Rosellas.

Lorikeets are the cheeky multi coloured ones, not shy of just about anything, chase most other parrots. Great favourites around gardens as they will line up for a free feed.

Rosellas are blue and red, shy to humans but very aggressive to other parrots, seem to go around in ones & twos.

Woodwould
16th May 2009, 09:04 AM
Lorikeets, not Rosellas.

Lorikeets are the cheeky multi coloured ones, not shy of just about anything, chase most other parrots. Great favourites around gardens as they will line up for a free feed.

Rosellas are blue and red, shy to humans but very aggressive to other parrots, seem to go around in ones & twos.

They look like Rosellas to me... Eastern Rosellas (http://www.google.com.au/search?q=eastern+rosella&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a). Crimson Rosellas are blue and red.

Phil Spencer
16th May 2009, 09:10 AM
Here's an artist impression of one of Phil's photo's Thanks Phil. :2tsup:

Done in water colour now hung in LOML's weaving room :U

Very nicely done I am impressed and glad that I posted toe photos :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Lorikeets, not Rosellas.

We also get a small green Lorikeet, Crimson and Eastern Rosella's, Corollas, Cockies (White and Yellow tailed Black ones) Not bad for a suburban backyard in Melbourne's outer East.

Woodwould
16th May 2009, 09:14 AM
Sorry Phil, lovely photos by the way. What camera do you have?

Phil Spencer
16th May 2009, 02:52 PM

Hi Robert

I have a Nikon D40 DSLR with an 18-55 mm and a 55-200mm lens still learning how to use it I have just changed over from a film camera.

Regards

Phil

Woodwould
16th May 2009, 02:54 PM
Very nice. I have a Pentax K20D DSLR, but unfortunately the Rosellas round here don't pause or fly at an altitude at which I could snap them.

Cliff Rogers
16th May 2009, 03:36 PM
... I would like to know how the other guys get large pictures up on the forun (like Majors).....
As Fred says, post them somewhere else & link to them but don't make them too big or somebody will grizzle & then they get deleted.

Phil Spencer
16th May 2009, 06:03 PM

Very nice. I have a Pentax K20D DSLR, but unfortunately the Rosellas round here don't pause or fly at an altitude at which I could snap them.

They come down from the hills to feed, since the fires we seem to have a lot more visitors so I think I will have to put some food out. Normally they just feed from my fruit trees I have been called an idiot for doing this I planted the fruit trees for the birds they have to get some food from some where and letting them eat the fruit from the trees is natural.

Woodlee
16th May 2009, 10:53 PM
Green collared lorakeets or blue mountain parrot , nice .
We get the orange collared one here in NT , they hang around in big flocks and during the mango season they raid the trees and destroy a lot of fruit.
When the mangos get over ripe the birds get drunk on the fermenting fruit ,they are fun to watch walking around on the ground with the " wobbly boot on " .
They make great pets if you get them and hand raise them.

Kev.

chippy 71
16th May 2009, 11:26 PM
Green collared lorakeets or blue mountain parrot , nice .
We get the orange collared one here in NT , they hang around in big flocks and during the mango season they raid the trees and destroy a lot of fruit.
When the mangos get over ripe the birds get drunk on the fermenting fruit ,they are fun to watch walking around on the ground with the " wobbly boot on " .
They make great pets if you get them and hand raise them.

Kev.

Don't know what happened to my other post but here goes again.
We knew them as Rainbow Lorikeets because of their multi colours, very noisy in their large groups but a pleasure to have around.

Colin.

rotten_66
17th May 2009, 01:23 PM
When the mangos get over ripe the birds get drunk on the fermenting fruit ,they are fun to watch walking around on the ground with the " wobbly boot on " .Kev.

We get the same thing from next door. Guy has a huge apple tree and doesn't use the fruit often get "" parrots in the back yard that have dropped out of the tree and can't fly to save themselves, Usually takes about two hours and then they are off

witch1
17th May 2009, 05:53 PM
rainbow lorikeets are found along the east coast of australia from northern queensland to victoria spreading inland to varying degrees throughout.They are gregarious and friendly with humans to the extent that they can be attracted onto your verandah and fed by hand with a little patience. They may be seen in queensland coastal parks where they will perch on your shoulder in numbers and squabling over a piece of fruit held in your hand.
They are one of the few species of native birds which are growing in numbers in australia and actually thrive in settled areas. They may bite if startled or handled roughly but rarely hard enough to cause a wound. There are large numbers of them nesting in local trees in paddington, kensington, and all around centennial park in sydney.
enjoy your bird-watching.
witch1

Phil Spencer
17th May 2009, 07:29 PM
We get the same thing from next door. Guy has a huge apple tree and doesn't use the fruit often get "" parrots in the back yard that have dropped out of the tree and can't fly to save themselves, Usually takes about two hours and then they are off

" Parrots" LMAO that explains why they throw apples at my dog.