PDA

View Full Version : what table saw for $1200 ?

EMistral
10th May 2004, 01:39 PM
Hi All,

I currently own a WC2000 and all the bits and pieces (height winder,dust collector, bevel guide, etc..) and after finishing my current project, I intend to sell it.
I am sick of constantly readjusting the blade, the lack of accuracy, etc...
I have been patient enough to try several ways to have it work, asking on this forum, etc...
but either I am stupid or there is something really wrong with my trition WC 2000 (I had the fence, scales and saw guide changed already after 8 months because they were faulty)
Therefore my question: what good table saw could I get for $1200 max ?
I don't want to spend more than that.
I intend to buy it from Carbatech in Melbourne because that's probably the only good woodwork shop I know
but if anybody knows another shop I can get a good table saw for that this price or less, I would appreciate any help

Feel free to comment the pros and cons for the table saw
Basically I need something that can cut 100mm when the scales are set to 100mm and not 101mm or 999mm if you see what I mean.
Portability is not a problem since the table saw will never be used outside the premises it is designed for
Thanks for your advices

Dean
10th May 2004, 03:20 PM
I'd strongly recomend scraping together an extra $295 and getting the TSC-10HB 3HP Cabinet Saw. If you aren't going to be moving the saw, that extra $$ will buy you a BIG difference in quality over the $1000 range contractor saws. DO a search on this forum for that model number and you will find threads on this model saw with all the info you will probably need.

Grunt
10th May 2004, 07:00 PM
Get the extra $295 anyway you can. Sell the kids, the wife anything. You won't be disappointed. The TSC-10HB is a great saw for the money.

outback
10th May 2004, 07:18 PM
Complete waste of time trying to sell the kids, I've had two on the market for ages now, no takers yet.

I mean is $2.50 too much to ask for a couple of as new rug rats? :eek:

Caliban
10th May 2004, 08:07 PM
Complete waste of time trying to sell the kids, I've had two on the market for ages now, no takers yet.

mate
You've gotta be joking. "As new" means still the way you got them. Lots of portability problems (prams, strollers, bottles, nappies etc,etc). Also not broken in yet, just like a triton wc2000 needs lots of tinkering. :(
I'd have more hope selling my eighteen yr old version, ie none :mad:
looks like you are stuck with them :eek: :eek: :eek:
cheers
Jim

derekcohen
10th May 2004, 11:00 PM
I absolutely endorse Dean's advice about the 3 hp Carba-tec Cabinet saw. For the extra you are also getting a bloody good Biesemeyer-copy fence.

I'm afraid you won't get much for second-hand kids. Unless you can offer a warrantee or decent part-exchange. No one really believes that they have low mileage and the "brush up" fools no one!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ben from Vic.
11th May 2004, 12:14 AM

Can't help with the saw, but as for the kids, have you tried Ebay?
Also just watched a story on 60 minutes about a girl who was adopting out her baby, and she had heaps of 'takers'. I'm sure they would be willing to part with cash if it helpped their prospects. ;) ;)

Ben.

DPB
11th May 2004, 12:32 AM
Before you loose money selling your WC2000 and fork out another $1500, why not come along to the triton Woodworkers Club at Holmesglen?

You may be able to pick up some pointers that will help you get what you expect from the Workcentre. At the next meeting our Triton expert is going to talk about the 10 top hints on getting the most out of the Workcentre.

Visit the club's web site for times and location. http://www.tritonwoodworkers.org.au

:)

EMistral
11th May 2004, 09:52 AM
Thanks all
As for the kids, I don't have any yet, but the wife could be an alternative :)
I could probably afford 2 or 3 TS with the money saved ! :0 (maybe more)

For DPB, thanks for the offer, but when I spend $500 on an item, I expect the item to work fine and not spend hours tuning it or going here and there to have something adjusted which might not be anymore after carrying it for one place to another one.
Imagine buying a DVD player for $500 and then after you discover that you have to tune the picture but because the quality is not there then you have to go to the shop to have it tune,etc....
If the WC was $200, I would accept it but $500, that's a lot of money. Add also the dust collector which is useless and the bevel guide and I have already spent haf of a good table saw.
not to mention that I have had already the scales replaced because they were not accurate, the fence which was bowed and not perpendicular and finally the blade guide which was not straight.
That's a lot for a $500 product
no offense to you DPB but the WC2000 does not reach my standards in terms of quality
Triton service is great but I wish their quality was too
Maybe they could spend a little bit less on the service and more on the quality
So far, out of all the triton gears I own, I am happy only with the router and the router table
As for losing money, I think I lost money from the day I bought it
I should have made more researches on the net.
Too bad I discovered the forum after buying it otherwise I could have asked more advices.
Anyway do not start the endless debate Triton or TS..

Anyway if there are any other comments regarding other TS and brands, feel free

Grunt
11th May 2004, 05:20 PM
Instead of selling your wife, have you thought about renting her out?:D

Bob Willson
11th May 2004, 06:07 PM
I'm not sure what the current prices are because they have fallen so much due to the better dollar, but for this sort of money you can buy a Jet TS and later on, when you are feeling a little more affluent, you can add the sliding table.

EMistral
11th May 2004, 06:10 PM
where can I find this JET TS ?
any model in particular ?

kenmil
11th May 2004, 06:32 PM

There's one over on the left :D

ozwinner
11th May 2004, 06:57 PM
There's one over on the left :D
Can you fax it to me?
http://www.computerpannen.com/cwm/contrib/owen/scatter.gif

Al

Caliban
11th May 2004, 07:11 PM
Ozwinner
Fax it to you?
Isn't that taking the virtual woodworker thing too far? :D
cheers
Jim
ps leave it alone DPB, everyone needs a reason to whinge. If he is happy sooking about his triton then good on him. Lord knows he isn't alone in the "I hate my wc2000" club. After seeing the triton demo the other night, I came home glad that I own the superior workcentre, the mk 3. :D :D :D and mine hasn't been hotted up yet like my idol Sturdee's. ;)

Bob Willson
11th May 2004, 07:13 PM
any model in particular ?

Jet tablesaws (http://www.gregmach.com/equipment_catalogue/saws/tablesaws/tablesaws.htm)

The prices on the website are not correct. They have changed a lot recently but Gregory's are a little slow in updating their site.

EMistral
12th May 2004, 10:49 AM
@Hovo:
EVerybody has the right to post his own opinion
I am not happy with the Triton because for $500, I was expecting something that does not need hours of tuning to be operational, or needs 1/3 of its parts to be exchanged because they are faulty. And above all, I was expecting something more than plastic knobs in a $500 product
Especially when these knobs are supposed to maintain vibrating tools
If you are happy with your Triton gears, that's fine. I might have bought a defective serie.
too bad for me but the more I use it, the more I regret buying it.
As I said, I am not the only one who is unhappy with the Triton gears, so there must be a reason.

Anyway, thanks for you help guys

Wongo
12th May 2004, 11:36 AM
EMistral,

These potable saws are available in Aust. (from $900 to $1200). They might not be what you want but it is worth having a look. Try total tools, carbetac, Makita shop and Bosch shop. Do plenty of research before making a decision. Good luck.

http://www.justtools.com.au/prod206.htm

Caliban
12th May 2004, 10:17 PM
Emistral
I wasn't really having a go at you. There's no way I'd buy a wc2000. IMHO the mk3 I have is better, quality wise than the 2000s that I have had experience with. I might be wrong :eek: but when and if I upgrade it will be to a carbatech ts 10hb or the Jet equivalent.
Your experiences with the 2000 only highlight what has been debated to death on this BB. Before all the Holmesglen crew get up me for the rent over that comment I'll say that they seem to be a very lucky and devoted group who have more expertise in their ranks than the rest of us ever will. Good luck to them, but for lots of us the triton 2000 just doesn't float our boat.
Also I believe that everyone has the right to have a therapeutic sook like you did from time to time. :D . But as you said it shouldn't be necessary.
Sorry for any offense :eek:
cheers
Jim

EMistral
13th May 2004, 11:28 AM
@Jim: I was not offended at all but there are on this forum some people who will swear by Triton. I have nothing against them since I asked them many advices. either I was unlucky to have a very faulty WC2000 or they were lucky to have a working one :)
And it 's like everywhere, some people will try to convince you not to sell it but fix it even if they clearly know that the product is not what it should be for the price you have paid.
Anyway I think I'll go for the TS HB10
It is $1600 online , probably a bit cheaper in the shop (someone told me $1450), so that's only $450 more than the wc200 combined with the circular saw I have and the accessories

Grunt
13th May 2004, 12:47 PM
EMistral,

One thing to consider is that the TSC-10HB requires 15amp power. Depending on your workshop setup this can cost quite a bit.

Grunt

EMistral
13th May 2004, 01:20 PM
Hi Grunt

Thanks
I recently rewired the garage and put an additional power socket as well as a proper safety switch for a welding equipment so it should not be a problem (I had an electrician doing the job so I am safe on this side)
anyway thanks