PDA

View Full Version : unknown tree

bowl-basher
14th January 2009, 10:48 AM
:?:?A question for all you Melbourne based fourmites
Along the bay front around St Kilda and point Ormond there grows what I think is a tea tree It grows on the dunes beteewn the road and the water and looks lilke a twisted group of stems that have grown togeather and bend and twist all over the place it seems to be quite tall in places and the trunks can be around 200 thick some of the ones that are growing are bent at over 90 and then bend back on themselfs
The reason for asking is that I brought back a dry bit that will make a rather nice candle holder and found the the colour and grain under the dull grey weathed exterior is rather nice and will make a few very interesting pens I would love to find out the common name and the botanical name of this tree
Thanks
Bowl -basher

springwater
14th January 2009, 01:20 PM
Coastal Tea Tree
Leptospermum laevigatum.

Family: Myrtaceae

Distribution: coastal dunes of NSW, Vic, Tas, SA (naturalised in north-east NSW, south-east Qld and WA, where it has been introduced after sand mining).

rsser
14th January 2009, 04:05 PM
Yeah, have seen some candle sticks done out of it, with bark inclusions, that looked speccy.

bowl-basher
14th January 2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks
I was fairly sure that it was a:p
tea tree but the twisting manner of growth had me tricked it sure has some crazey shapes made by mum nature
I will think about this bit for a while but I think I may make it in to a double candle holder just trimming the vertical bit to allow a boring with a 60MM forstner with a secong at the center of the curve and just planing the base to sit flat
I am going to try sand blasting on a small offcut to see if I can just remove the grey ( the pic of the pen shows what is inside) and expose the grain any suggestions would be most welcome
thanks
Bowl -Basher

RETIRED
14th January 2009, 09:10 PM
If you reckon they were twisted you should have gone and had a look at the ones at the end of the Mornigton Peninsula where the southerlies rip across Bass Strait.

rsser
15th January 2009, 03:18 PM
The pen shows some fine figure. Thanks for that pic.

robutacion
15th January 2009, 07:29 PM
Boomerang wood...:o, wonder if that one will come back...!:D Because my "boomerangs won't come back...!":no::roll::;:U.

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO