PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bargain or what ?

hotrod100
10th May 2004, 06:24 PM
As a newby, and still shoping around for a lathe I came across this ad in the Trading Post " Woodfast lathe , VGC,900mm bc, 24ins bowl dia,12ins leg dia,5 Sorby, 9 Maples chisels and much more $1800.00 neg." I have since found out the " much more includes " a 6 in 1 chuck, 2 face plates, 4 tool rests, wax and oil , etc. The lathe is approx 10years old, but had very little use due to the owner spending quite a lot of time overseas , the ID plate on the lathe reads "STD MODEL 150 - 900" ? . I would really appreciate any thoughts anybody has on this model lathe, and the package and price in general.

Jackson
11th May 2004, 08:50 PM
Hotrod - I have a Woodfast lathe that has served me well. Five years ago the lathe alone cost me a good bit more than the package that you described. Mine is a a bigger model but if the dimensions you described are accurate it sounds to me like a good deal.

Figure an average of $50 each for HSS chisels (and considerably more for some) and you're looking at $700 worth of chisles alone. A good chuck is a couple of hundred, tool rests you'd guess at $30 each, face plates ditto and so on. I think I'm being conservative also, but all up just the accessories alone look like they're approaching the $1,000 mark if bought new. This is all provided they're all in reasonable condition. This obviously doesn't apply if the chisels are ground down to a few centimetres long and the chucks are wobbly.

This also sounds like the perfect package for someone wanting to begin turning. You'll have a good quality lathe, rather than starting with a cheap little Korean thing like many of us do. You'll also have a collection of chisels that some turners take a few years (well I did at least) to collect.

The other thing is that quality lathes like Woodfast don't get advertised all that often. People tend to hang on to them.

My view is that you should ring the advertiser now.

Good luck

rbjozzia
11th May 2004, 09:31 PM
Hotrod, I hope you're not rushing this thing but get there as fast as you can, sounds like a good deal. I learnt on Woodfast lathes at Vic Wood's and they are great. Go for it.

Cliff Rogers
11th May 2004, 10:22 PM
G'day.

Is the lathe on a stand?
Is it a home made stand our the one that came with it?
What size is the motor?
What brand is the chuck?

I was keen on that model about 10years ago but, in the process of saving up, along came the Vicmarc lathes & I now have about $5K worth of Vicmarc gear.

See if you can get a price on a similar current model Woodfast.

The 5 sorbies are most likely worth about $250 the 9 Marples are most likely not HSS.

rsser
12th May 2004, 04:51 PM
Could be good.

Check the state of the ways (ie the bed) - any rust or pitting? Run the tailstock up to the headstock with centres in both - do the points line up? Rotate the headstock shaft with the same point to point setup - any eccentricity? Ask to have a large piece mounted and spin it at various speeds - any vibration in the headstock shaft?

A lathe that's had little use can be in worse condition than one that's had some.

What other tests can forum members recommend?

Cheers,

Ern

q9
12th May 2004, 11:35 PM
I bought a similar package through this website last year. My lathe was just a "bit" older, '79 I believe, and price was a bit less, too.

I am REALLY happy with it as it was a great price for a quality lathe and some really good factory supplied accessories (3 face plates, small 3 jaw chuck, heaps of Marples chisels, 13mm drill chuck, centre steady, + more stuff I can't remember right now).

If I had to buy all that, even on just a basic Chinese lathe, I would have easily spent double.

The only thing with too little use is perhaps the grease in the bearings has dried up/not been attended to. Who cares? Bearings aren't that dear.

Check it out, it would be well worth a look.

hotrod100
14th May 2004, 11:32 AM
Hi Guy's
First of all I would like to thank you all for taking the time to reply to my question, as I know time is precious.
I took your advice onboard and after much deliberation I have decided to plunge for a new lathe. (having limited experience,-- er-- having little experience,-- make that no bloody experience, ) i am not in a position to judge a " bargain "from a "bomb". and being only a young feller, only 56yo and still trying to get through puberty, this machine is going to have to last me a long time.
As you all know the Brisbane WWW show is on this weekend, whooo-oo and I have to go at the insistence of "HER WHO MUST BE OBEYED", so I can take the opportunity to compare make's and model's side by side.
Have a great weekend and once again thank's for the advice I really appreciate it.
By the way any thoughts on the "jet JWL 1442 lathe"comes on the market for around $1600.00
Thank's Rod

GGHorse
15th May 2004, 07:55 AM
I have the jet lathe, and am more than happy with it, extremely good value for money

Talk to Enzo at the Vermec stand (at WWW Show), you can compare the VL1700 (VICMARC) with the JWL 1442.