PDA

View Full Version : Theremin advice

burraboy
15th January 2009, 04:16 AM
Have any of you sparky types done anything with Theremins? There seem to be a lot of kits available and a lot of variation in the technical make up of them. This isn't my expertise at all and any comments will be appreciated!

Zaphod
15th January 2009, 06:22 AM
Have any of you sparky types done anything with Theremins? There seem to be a lot of kits available and a lot of variation in the technical make up of them. This isn't my expertise at all and any comments will be appreciated!

A Theremin is a pretty simple device, but VERY difficult to play with some competence. The last one I saw published was in Silicon Chip magazine. That would be the one I would recommend, since parts should be easy to obtain.

joe greiner
15th January 2009, 11:01 PM
What he said. Mostly.

Someplace buried in my archives, I have a photocopy of an article in Popular Electronics (USA magazine) from the 1950s or so, by Robert Moog, who later developed the Moog Synthesizer. I think I found it in the 1970s, when I knew an old guy who had two production Theremins (antiques). I hadn't believed such a contraption could work, until I tried, and was amazed that it worked. I never built one from the plans, though.

I have a CD of all (and only) Theremin music, and I must say, it all gets to sounding the same, more or less, because there are no other instruments to provide counterpoint. Everything is too smooth.

If you have a good ear (think trombones or fretless violins, for example), you can probably develop satisfactory playing skills. The WOW factor will be enhanced if played in concert with one or more other instruments to provide the crisper notes. IMHO, of course.

Best of luck.

Joe

nickdablack
23rd January 2009, 11:32 AM
Jaycar have the kits based on the silicone chip design.

http://www.jaycar.com.au

CAT. NO. AM4025
THEREMIN SYNTHESISER COMPLETE AND TESTED
Many people imagine the Theramin is a recent inventio...more...
$99.00

CAT. NO. KC5295
THEREMIN SYNTHESISER KIT
Ref: Silicon Chip August 2000. As used in the Beach Boys classic hit "Good Vibrations" Create your own weird science fiction s...more...
$59.95

joe greiner
23rd January 2009, 10:31 PM
Many people imagine the Theramin is a recent inventio...

The Theremins my old friend (long deceased) had were RCA versions from the 1930s, cloned from the Russian earlier work. All tubes (valves), resistors and capacitors; no chips or anything digital AFAICT.

Cheers,
Joe

burraboy
25th January 2009, 05:32 AM
Thanks fellers, I've gone for the made up Jaycar number. $40 more than the kit, but I don't even have a soldering iron, let alone the skill to use it. I'll let you know how it sounds!