PDA

View Full Version : An alternative cattle grid

whitewood
15th January 2009, 07:45 AM
I have decided that I am too old to keep slashing my property and am going to allow my neighbour's cattle access to my land so they can 'mow' the grass. He his going to fence of my 'house plot' as part of the arrangement. I will probably sell the property in a coulpe of years so I don't want to go to the expense of a steel grid. During our discussions he thought there was a special mat that could be put on the driveway that cattle would not walk on or that I could lay galvanised iron down with the same result.

Has any one heard about either methods? If so how effective are they and where can I obtain the matting?

Howdya do that
15th January 2009, 08:29 AM
Hi Whitewood,

I am a stock & station agent and have never heard of such a device but then again you do learn something new every day. There are numerous different automatic gate openers available from electric to one simply bump with front of your car. I suggest you find your local Landmark or Elders store and ask them.

malb
15th January 2009, 05:22 PM
At one stage the authorities up north were replacing grids on sealed roadways to smooth them out and possibly increase carrying capacity etc. The replacement was a fake grid painted onto the roadway. It seemed to be effective for experienced stock, but sooner or later a beast that has no experience of a real grid will cross it with impunity, and start to teach the rest of the mob.

glenn k
2nd May 2009, 01:07 PM
Werribee Zoo run hot wires across their gate ways several parallel wires just above the ground. They have gates aswell but the animals seem to not go though open gates when busses go though. You can walk over them with sheos on but I wouldn't try with bare feet.