PDA

View Full Version : anyoone in Melb help re-turn some legs?

seriph1
11th May 2004, 10:34 AM
Hi all

first post to this part of the forum, so apologies if its the wrong place. I have just bought an old cedar table very cheaply. It dates from the 1930's and while its dimensions are fine, the leg turnings arent - they are a taper, which is unsuitable and for us, unattractive in our opinion. We would like to re-turn the legs so they are a more suitable style for our Victorian home - this, along with making two drawers for the desk will make it a piece that will stay in our home for good.

Is there anyone in Melbourne who would be willing to recive the legs and a pic of our preferred turning? We can get it done by one of the large repetition turners, though would rather have it done by a real woodie. Happy to pay for the work, either in dollars, product or services. We are in Kilmore, which is about an hour north of the CBD, though I will travel to get this done.

thanks

Steve

seriph1
11th May 2004, 11:17 AM
just thought a pic would help clarify what I meant

By the way, there are three stacks of magazines on the desk - they are: This Old House. Old House Journal, and Victorian Homes - these are the ones I havent gotten around to looking at yet

:)

thanks

Jim Carroll
11th May 2004, 09:15 PM
If you want to send them to geelong I will do them for you[ at a cost]

sailingamerican
31st May 2004, 03:23 AM
From what I can see the table is older than the 30's. it is a style of the early and mid 19th century. If you want a victorian table buy one. The table looks good with any kind of furniture. Enjoy it for what it is. You can't make silk out of a cow ear.
I am an architect/woodworker /antique dealer
My house has all styles and looks good.
I know furniture is hard to find on the big pond.
Take time to enjoy what you have not what it could be.

seriph1
31st May 2004, 09:33 AM
Hi

Good advice and much appreciated. I *can* on-sell the table and buy another more to my tastes, though we already have this one and as it was <$100 the work to make it into something we will have permanently, will be worthwhile to us.

I feel certain this table isn’t an "early one" by Aussie standards, as the top is fitted with cleats and machine made steel screws, which date from the period mentioned, with no evidence of earlier fixings. Also, although a perfect colour-match, the front rail is ply, fixed in a fashion consistent with the processes of the 20th Century.

Re-reading my post, I didn’t point out that the turnings are….well… clunky. In history, not every maker got it right and in my opinion this is such an example, where the taper is very broad, making the legs look like you could park a 20 ton truck on em.

Just some further info: it is made from Australian Cedar (toona Australis) a material with a very similar look to mahogany, though far lighter and easier to work. It does fur a bit, but sands well and examples can be found with magnificent flame grain.

We own one example of a Cedar pantry/linen press from the 1840’s, which is wonderful, though nothing like the bargain of the table! It is of European influence, nearly black from age, with pegged through-tenons….. it’s in our bathroom until we complete a planned extension – not a great spot for it at all to appreciate its beauty.

Sorry for the extended reply!

thanks again