PDA

View Full Version : Buzzer - Thicknesser - Planer - Joiner

barrysumpter
9th February 2001, 07:55 AM
Hi all,

Could someone please tell me the differences between the buzzer, the thicknesser, the planer, and the joiner?

And what applications I shold use each for?

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

Rod Smith
9th February 2001, 01:47 PM
G'day bazz
Buzzer = jointer (joiner)or planer/jointer
A buzzer is used to flatten the face and square and straighten one edge.

Thicknesser = thicknesser or thickness planer or planer thicknesser.
Used to plane the opposite face and edge (from those done on the buzzer/jointer)so that they are parrallel. Although I usually cut the opposite edge on the table saw, then run it over the buzzer, a more convenient way.
Hope this helps.
Rod

Rod Smith
9th February 2001, 04:15 PM
Some random additional thoughts.
You can get combo machines that do both operations, which is good if you have limited space like me.
Like many wood work machines, you can do many things more than the basics described above, but they are what you would do 99.9% of the time.
Much of the time you may just use the buzzer to straighten/plane an edge. My understanding is that aussies use the term buzzer, pohms, joiner and yanks jointer.
Seeya. Rod

barrysumpter
10th February 2001, 08:19 AM
Are buzzers used for very slight depths to flatten one side of a work piece?

And thicknessers are for more serious depths for sizing the overall thickness of a workpiece?

I'd like to flatten a number of merbu planks about 1.5" thick and 6" wide of various lengths.

I'd also like to very accurately size and flatten 6m thick work pieces for jewelry boxes.

What should I use for these different size work pieces?

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 10 February 2001).]

RETIRED
10th February 2001, 07:26 PM
Gooday.

Now to really confuse you Barry http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

Are buzzers used for very slight depths to flatten one side of a work piece?

Yes,but some buzzers/jointers can take a 1/2" cut.

And thicknessers are for more serious depths for sizing the overall thickness of a workpiece?

Thicknesser/planers are used mainly to get 2 faces/edges paralell AFTER buzzing/jointing although this is not always the case. You can put a FLAT board through to clean it up or dimension it to size.Some bigger models can take a 1" cut, but most operate in the 1/16"-1/4".

I'd like to flatten a number of merbu planks about 1.5" thick and 6" wide of various lengths.

They would probably have to be buzzed/jointed first as a thicknesser/planer will NOT straighten or flatten a bent board. At that width you would have to careful thicknessing the edges.

I'd also like to very accurately size and flatten 6m thick work pieces for jewelry boxes.

I take it you mean 6mm thick. Highly unlikely that a cheaper thicknesser would give you the finish or accuracy you require on that thickness (chip or tear out would probably result). You need a thickness sander dor this type of work to get the best results.

What should I use for these different size work pieces?

Hope the above helps.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

[This message has been edited by (edited 10 February 2001).]

Roger Peine
11th February 2001, 11:40 PM
Just to throw a total spanner into it...
Buzzer/jointer/joiner = underhand planer.
Thicknesser = overhead planer

Iain
12th February 2001, 07:13 AM
Roj, is that like New Zealand and Australian Bowlers??

barrysumpter
12th February 2001, 07:18 AM
Hi All,

What an excellent response from all.

Thanks everyone.

P.S.
Oh Yeah, lets stop here before we reduce this thread to another 20 unneccessary responses.

:-)

P.S.S.
Why can't I close this thread?

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 12 February 2001).]

RETIRED
12th February 2001, 12:50 PM
Gooday,

'Cause only the Grand Poobah or me can close threads. Shane can close a thread on finishing because he moderates the group.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

barrysumpter
12th February 2001, 05:58 PM
Doh!

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/homer1.gif

baz

[This message has been edited by ubeaut (edited 12 February 2001).]