PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a tassie oak jacobean chair

trrac
16th January 2009, 12:46 PM
Its been leant back on too many times! About 90-100 years old. Cracked in several places across the barley twist and split at the base of the back rest (see photos). Has been professionally repaired before but not strongly enough. Someone suggested a steel pin up through the length of the barley twist. Are there any hobbyists or retired wood workers etc who take on this type of project on the NSW Central Coast?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

billrule
16th January 2009, 06:29 PM
Are you amenable to the steel-pin idea? I'm not volunteering, but it may help others to "scope" the repair job.
Good luck,

Bill

flynnsart
16th January 2009, 06:40 PM
Interesting that the twists slope inwards on both the back rest ones, (one from the left to right and one from right to left) and the legs both slope downwards towards the same direction to the left. Can you see what i am on about, or is it just friday arvo beverages making me see it this way:doh:

Donna

aak
16th January 2009, 08:28 PM
Interesting that the twists slope inwards on both the back rest ones, (one from the left to right and one from right to left) and the legs both slope downwards towards the same direction to the left. Can you see what i am on about, or is it just friday arvo beverages making me see it this way:doh:

Donna

Donna,

You maybe onto something here. I had the same feeling when viewed the pics prior to reading your post (and yet to have a drink!).

I have a suspicion that the previous repairer made one chair out of two and the parts may have not been quite identical in size/dimensions.

Andy

astrid
17th January 2009, 08:16 PM
dont use steel nails, screws or pins to repair chairs, the vibration/shock if its knocked over (as it will be) is different between the timber and metal and will cause it to break again.

Well thats my theory and i'm sticking to it.
clean out ALL old glue, reglue and clamp. if you think it wont hold use thin dowel to strenghten it.