PDA

View Full Version : Toy Boxes

mjford
16th January 2009, 03:28 PM
Hi all
With a new (first) grandchild due next Wednesday, I am looking for some ideas on toy boxes, I have just finished a cot, (Major Project) and am looking for something a little simpler but have read somewhere that there are regulations about lids falling on little fingers etc. Does anyone have any info on this particular subject.

Regards Dredgemaster.

orificiam
16th January 2009, 04:32 PM
Hi Mjford first of all congrats on the first Grandchild Great feeling isn't it? I'm not sure about regulations but when I built 2 toy boxes "yes twins grandchildren" I fitted "lid stays' to them they lock in place stopping the lid falling down on little fingers.
hope this helps, and I hope you get as much Joy from your Grandchild as I do with mine.
Cheers Tony.:)

Sparhawk
16th January 2009, 04:37 PM
I have "saftey" hinges on both my boxes, they stop the lids from slamming shut. Also a lot of the ones I have seen have a gap routed around the top of the box, with the lid only touch the box in the corners.
PM me if you want photos.

Chipman
16th January 2009, 04:45 PM
Most "safe" ones will have a cut out along the sides and front to get a hand out if the lid is closed with them in it and also allows ventilation.

Another required feature apprently is a bit more than a soft close stay system but rather one that will support the lid in whatever position the lid is placed in.

A simpler way could be to either:

Have no lid at all
Have a removable lid (no hinges and simply hinge it later when the kids are older.

I am a little bit hesitant to get involved in this discussion (again) as there are some strong views the other way.

Finally, I would suggest you simply go to a baby store and have a look at what is commercially available and then you do what you are comfortable with.

By the way, congratulations,

Chipman

JMB
16th January 2009, 05:55 PM
This is slightly off topic, but I prefer drawers and/or shelves as storage for children's toys. Seems easier to me to keep things organised this way. I quite like this type of storage from ikea or chests with drawers in them.

Chipman
17th January 2009, 08:27 AM
This is slightly off topic, but I prefer drawers and/or shelves as storage for children's toys. Seems easier to me to keep things organised this way. I quite like this type of storage from ikea or chests with drawers in them.

I like that!:2tsup:
and good bye to all the safety issues!

Thanks for the info

Chipman

keju
20th January 2009, 08:50 AM
When I started reading this thread I was all ready to talk child safe........ but I really love Ikea's way...... much much better.... can't hurt fingers and instead of one big mess kids can even sort their toys a bit.... even easier ... they can take out a "box" and take it to where they're playing.... and it makes it easier to put things back too....

:2tsup: definately the way to go..... and if it doesn't look " nice" enough for some mum's..... you could pretty it up by adding a curtain in front of it to match the room decor and hide the boxes should they be close to overflowing.... :)

Juvy

Chipman
20th January 2009, 12:45 PM
Continuing on with what Juvy said, why not see if you can buy the plastic bins and build the box ot goes in if you want to build something and make it personal.

Win Win by me

Regards,
Chipman

keju
20th January 2009, 12:59 PM
or...... you could if you really wanted to make the bins out of wood.... but that's much heavier for kids to handle....
If you get bins make sure they are of a very common size/kind so you can replace them if need be

Juvy

JMB
20th January 2009, 01:40 PM
These are some other designs I saw recently that I thought were good for children's storage. I'm not sure where I saw them on the internet so I can't reference the companies that sell them.

The first design combines a small movable table with some good storage underneath; the second design is some shelves with wooden containers for toys; the third piece of furniture uses plastic boxes for storage at the top and some shelves with doors at the bottom; and I included the last picture because I like the doors and the nice bright colors.

Boxmaker
21st January 2009, 12:11 PM
Continuing on with what Juvy said, why not see if you can buy the plastic bins and build the box ot goes in if you want to build something and make it personal.

Win Win by me

Regards,
Chipman

:whs::2tsup: Boxy

BandsawBandit
27th January 2009, 04:30 AM
Cutting out a strip under lid so :o doesn't happen about 3/4" should do.

Richard0470
28th January 2009, 11:02 PM
Hi, mjford, I have made a toybox which had all the cars over it, posted a few months ago, but whilst i was in the UK i found this in a magazine which i quickly snapped a phot of with my phone and am currently in the process of making for my son, as almost 1.

There is no fear of the lid snapping shut on this one!!