PDA

View Full Version : Index.Jig for MC900

orificiam
17th January 2009, 09:19 PM
I everyone for some time I've wanted to buy or make an indexing Jig.but what put me off was the time spent attaching the Jig to the lathe.Ive come up with a very simple Jig
that never needs to come off the lathe all you need is bit of 12mmx3mmx300 long steel. + 1 tek screw + 1x8mm bolt and half hour of your time.
The bolt ""MUST BE BOLTED to the fan cover with the HEAD inside the cover"
hope you guys like it.The Jig is for MC900 lathes, but I think it could be made to fit other lathes.
in the first picture the Jig is in position,-
in the forth photo the Jig is parked out of the way,a 1.5 deep hole in the housing holds jig in place
Cheers Tony. :)

joe greiner
18th January 2009, 12:28 AM
Nice. Thanks for posting it.:2tsup:

Rigidity could be enhanced with a lock nut on the small screw, or nuts on both sides of the strap. And an extra screw could increase the number of positions, but locating it precisely might be more trouble than it's worth.

The slots in the back plate are milled channels, and might not be precisely square. To reduce backlash, you can wrap the chuck with a rope supporting a weight, so that it always pulls against one side of the slot. I think it should be toward the motor for best purchase, to avoid unscrewing the chuck.

Cheers,
Joe

TTIT
18th January 2009, 12:29 AM
Nice and simple - good one:2tsup:

artme
18th January 2009, 07:20 AM
Very Nifty!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
18th January 2009, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I agree very nifty :2tsup:

Did that chuck cost more then the lathe?

orificiam
18th January 2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys

Joe there's no problem with rigidity because you can increase the preasure on the Jig
by increasing the curve
As for "Backlash" I 've only got about .5mm--but you could eliminate it by using a bigger screw.

Sawdust--Yes it Did by the time i got extra jaws to go with it.lucky it'a a budget lathe I don't think i could have the nerve to drill the locating hole inthe housing if it was a Vicmarc or a Stubby.
Cheers Tony:)

joe greiner
19th January 2009, 01:34 AM
The self-tapping screw's purchase in the strap will weaken over repetitive use. DAMHIKT. Reinforcing nut(s) can be added when needed.:wink:

My Grizzly clone of the Vicmark chuck cost about half the cost of my HF34706 twin sister to the MC900. Another chuck might(!) reach break-even.:oo:

Cheers,
Joe