PDA

View Full Version : Steussy's Creations Bowlsaw

bobcol
17th January 2009, 09:28 PM
I had the privelege of evaluating this new Bowlsaw that is available in 6" and 8" sizes.
Using the 6" bowlsaw I was able to turn two bowls from the one 7" blank and with the 8" bowlsaw made three bowls from a 9" blank. Also turned two platters from the one blank giving me a two tiered cake stand with matching grain. This is an inexpensive tool for the hobbyist and serious turner alike, easy to use and very safe.
With the saving of waste wood and minimun sawdust this tool pays for itself in a very short time. All information can be read on www.bowlsaw.com (http://www.bowlsaw.com). or members can ask questions on my email address.
Bob col.

bobcol
27th January 2009, 12:59 PM
I am surprised that no one has made comments on this new tool. I now have a 6" and a 8" bowlsaw and have been getting 3 bowls from a 9" blank leaving a good thick rim to shape or do ornamental work on the larger bowl The second bowl is roughly 7" diam, the third bowl is much smaller but with a fitted lid makes a nice novelty box.
The deeper the blank, say 3" plus will give three good sized bowls.

I know for a fact wood turners bitch about the wood wasted when turning a blank, can't afford the large coring attachment for their lathe or haven't a lathe suitable for the corer. I have found that this bowlsaw which is inexpensive compared to the corers, is easy and safe to use, even if the blade catches at the low speed required for cutting the lathe will stall giving you plenty of time to rectify the cut.

I am not trying to sell this bowlsaw I am only drawing wood turners attention as an alternative to the expensive corers on the market. I find it a must for hobby turners.

bob c.

tea lady
27th January 2009, 02:22 PM
Actually, there has been a discussing on another thread, over here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=87659), about it. just started the day after your original post. We must'a' missed it. :shrug: But no one had used one. I reckon it looks interesting. At least it is a good price compared to other bowl saving contraptions.:cool: And much simpler. Does it take much muscle to use. You have to twist it don't you, to get it to cut?. :hmm:

Actually, just relooking at that thread and they do mention this post, they just didn't answer this one. :doh:

bobcol
27th January 2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks Anne Marie, I have found the other post and will head over there with my info. Muscle, no, patience yes. Once you shape the outside bowl and turn it over and do the 3/4" grove, you turn the lathe down to the lowest speed, the muscle required is the hand turning to create the cleave with the bowlsaw but once you turn the lathe on you can keep cutting but I have found cut and release repeatedly until the bowlsaw cuts through. If it does catch, at the low speed the lathe will stall, no danger of any missile flying. Remember to rest the saw on the tool rest about centre level. I think I have put photos on my album. I have also made platter for a 2 tiered cake stand from the one blank. Great tool for the hobbyist.

Bobcol.