PDA

View Full Version : Vic: Bulk Blackwood buy?

rsser
18th January 2009, 05:52 PM
Happy to broker this if enough folk are interested:

"lengths of kiln dried (2003) excellent condition central highlands blackwood, 270 x 120"

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=76523

Prob work out at around $23 per blank ... bowl/platter that is. Thick enough for boxes/pencil jars but I will only handle 270 x 270 or longer.

Let me know. Should be good turning timber but caveat emptor. I'll check it out and if it's good enough and you have an order in, that's it.

Can send interstate at cost.

I won't be adding anything for pickup, cutting and packaging for postage for those who want some.

bowl-basher
18th January 2009, 08:19 PM
Hey Resser :thanx2::thanx2:
that sounds ok put me down for 3 at 270 x 270 x120
Thanks
Bowl Basher

rsser
18th January 2009, 10:08 PM
Done B-B.

Order no's are up to 9 now.

letzzzgo
18th January 2009, 11:25 PM
Hi Ern

Put me down for 2

With Thanks Letzzzgo

Robomanic
19th January 2009, 12:03 AM
Hi Ern,

Still got enough left for a piece 540 x 270 x 120 please? 2 at 270 x 270 x 120 would also be ok if you need to dodge faults.

Thanks a bunch.

rsser
19th January 2009, 07:26 AM
Yep and Yep.

rsser
19th January 2009, 07:27 AM
4 left; possibly 5 depending on board condition.

Calm
19th January 2009, 07:44 AM
4 left; possibly 5 depending on board condition.

Ern if you dont mind I'll take 2 - please cut them 1 @ 270 x 270 x 120 for a bowl and the other split it if you could 270 x 270 x 60 to make 2 platters, or if there is a checked/damaged peice that will suit this idea just the same.

I will pay for them and anyone who wants them (first to pick up) can take them and make items for the charity challenge (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=86047).

Is this possible please Ern.

Your generous offer here has got me working on the same kind of thing myself, tell you about it later.

Cheers

rsser
19th January 2009, 08:26 AM
Hi David,

Happy to put your name on two blanks ... but I'm not set up for ripping reliably at that depth I'm afraid.

Can anyone else help with the ripping?

Calm
19th January 2009, 08:30 AM
Hi David,

Happy to put your name on two blanks ... but I'm not set up for ripping reliably at that depth I'm afraid.

Can anyone else help with the ripping?

Do you think a chainsaw would lose too much thickness?

cheers

rsser
19th January 2009, 09:18 AM
Prob not but it would need an expert to cut true.

tea lady
19th January 2009, 09:24 AM
I'll have the last bits Ern. Is that 2 x (270x270x120)? Leave em square not round.:cool:

RETIRED
19th January 2009, 09:26 AM
I can cut them for you.

rsser
19th January 2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks .

With TL's order that's the shorter board accounted for, and I hope Kinkers checks his email soon.

I'll start a 'wait list' now and we may be able to account for the 2nd board.

rsser
19th January 2009, 12:07 PM
To summarise:

Timelord: 3
BB: 3
Letzzgo: 2
Robomanic: 1 x 540 x 270
Calm: 2
TL: 2
Ern: 3

BB, bear in mind postage costs. Estimate your fraction of 640 KG per cube. I can round yours on the bandy if you want to reduce the weight.

Everyone else it's square and pick-up.

Unless you ask me otherwise, after cutting the blanks I'll hotwax the endgrain. Blackwood moves.

tea lady
19th January 2009, 02:30 PM
Ern if you dont mind I'll take 2 - please cut them 1 @ 270 x 270 x 120 for a bowl and the other split it if you could 270 x 270 x 60 to make 2 platters, or if there is a checked/damaged peice that will suit this idea just the same.

I will pay for them and anyone who wants them (first to pick up) can take them and make items for the charity challenge (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=86047).

Is this possible please Ern.

Your generous offer here has got me working on the same kind of thing myself, tell you about it later.

Cheers

I'm make something out of one bit David.:cool:

rsser
19th January 2009, 02:42 PM
K, so to confirm TL, you want 2 std size bowl blanks for yourself and will take one of Calm's platter slices?

tea lady
19th January 2009, 02:43 PM
K, so to confirm TL, you want 2 std size bowl blanks for yourself and will take one of Calm's platter slices?

Yes Please.:cool:

letzzzgo
19th January 2009, 03:10 PM
Ern, let me know if you need a hand when you get around to cutting it up.
Sounds like pretty heavy timber!

Cheers letzzzgo

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th January 2009, 04:13 PM
I'm confusing myself, reading these posts. :rolleyes: Just what do you have left, if anything, Ern? (Calm just PM'd me 'bout this thread... dunno how I missed it first time 'round.)

I'm looking at sourcing something for the charity challenge - I've been waiting on other timber but that's of the "when it gets here" type delivery. Was planning on a platter, but if necessary I'll [gasp!] stoop to turning a bowl.

:D:p

jefferson
19th January 2009, 04:17 PM
Geez, you gotta be quick around here. I must have missed the post when Ern first put it up. Still, decent blackwood would probably be wasted here.....

Jeff

rsser
19th January 2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks Letzzzgo; will sing out if the old bod complains ;-}

Skew, PM Calm. If no go, get back to me.

ATM it's the wait list, so Skew and Jeff, let me know if you want to be added.

I'm still waiting for the supplier to reply to my PMs, and given the thread on Buy Sell Swap, I, err, may be some time, to quote a phrase.

If timing's a prob for anyone apart from Skew, let me know.

Otherwise, wood permitting, all the above I'm taking as firm orders at $23 for 1 off 27 x 27 x 12.

jefferson
19th January 2009, 05:08 PM
Erm, I'm in on the waiting list. $100 order please.

And my thanks.

Jeff

rsser
19th January 2009, 05:26 PM
Goodo.

That's 4 off 270 x 270 x 120 plus a margin for VBs ;-}

woodwork wally
19th January 2009, 05:41 PM
Hi Ern If there is a pair left I put my name down for 2 x 270x270x120 thanks cheers WW.wally

rsser
19th January 2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks WW.

On the list.

Calm
20th January 2009, 01:56 AM
Via PM Tea lady, Grumpy John & Skew have grabbed the 2 bits i bought for the Charity Challenge. has offered to slice one peice in half to make 2 platters, The other peice is a bowl - i think thats how it will work.

Cheers

Aaron r
20th January 2009, 01:48 PM
Hey Ern, have you had a look at the timber yet? I was thinking about taking a beam as well if it's good stuff. Might be able to help each other out getting it over to Reservoir.
I've also got a resaw over here, it's not really set up as it hasn't had a run for a while, but it's here if you need it:wink:

rsser
20th January 2009, 02:27 PM
Aaron, I'm still waiting to hear from Kinkers in order to get out there (grr).

Would be happy to cooperate on getting the stuff back and resawing. That's v. kind of you. I've got a trailer.

PM me your email address and/or phone no. and I'll get in touch as soon as Kinkers does and we'll set up a time to head for Trentham.

bowl-basher
21st January 2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks Ern
Rounding off is great for me just let me know how much and how you want it
Regards Bowl-Basher
PS That lump of coastal tea tree that I liberated from your foershores is coming along fine having it blasted with wallnut shell and ordered the candle plates.... will take some pics of a WIP

rsser
22nd January 2009, 06:47 AM
Cool.

btw, no reply from Kinkers yet; David located what is prob his phone no; no answer. He may be on hols.

rsser
22nd January 2009, 11:40 AM
K, Kinkers has emailed and I'll set up a time next week hopefully to go out and check the beam out.

If OK I'll block it down ready for those who are coming to the next Vic turnfest on Feb 1.

BB, no worries. Will knock your corners off and let you know postage. It may be cheaper to courier but I'll let you know.

Once the beam is blocked down I'll let you all know my bank direct deposit details and what you're up for. I'm taking your posts as firm orders and will need payment as soon as the dimensioning is done.

I've allowed about 7% for wastage. If it's more than that the price will go up a bit and the available blanks will drop a bit. Cross that bridge when things are clearer.

rsser
26th January 2009, 05:24 PM
Update:

Will be checking out the beams on Wed.

WW and Jeff are on the wait list. Six blanks.

Haven't heard back from Aaron; I'll give him a bit more time, but meantime will take orders up to Wed 3 pm for another 10 or so blanks to account for a 2nd beam.

Thanks.

tea lady
26th January 2009, 08:47 PM
If you end up with some little saucer sized bits I'll take them too. :cool:

rsser
28th January 2009, 02:02 PM
TL, figure it out ... what would the corners measure if a square blank as advertised were rounded? Big enough?

Robomanic
28th January 2009, 02:53 PM
D = (r*sqrt(2) - r)/sqrt(2) Where D is the largest diameter obtained from the corner offcut. (unsimplified for the purists out there)

If the blank is 270x270,
D = ((135 x 1.4142)-135)/1.4142
D = 39.54

Robomanic
28th January 2009, 08:10 PM
Actually, that first bash was not quite right sorry. I will correct it but not right away, where is the fun in that?

tea lady
28th January 2009, 09:42 PM
TL, figure it out ... what would the corners measure if a square blank as advertised were rounded? Big enough?

:hmm: prolly not.:rolleyes: 27 cm square makes jjust under 40 cm diagonal -27cm = 13ish cmdiagonal corners which prolly makes 8 or 9 cm diam circles........at a guessamit.:rolleyes: I was thinking that you maybe would end up with a bit that was less than square on the end of all the 27 square bits.:D. :shrug:

Robomanic
29th January 2009, 10:59 PM
Ok the actual formula is;

D = 2r(sqrt(2) - 1)/(1 + sqrt(2) ) where; D is diameter yielded from offcut and r is radius of blank.

rsser
30th January 2009, 06:31 AM
Did you allow for the kerf Shannon? ;-}

Robomanic
30th January 2009, 07:58 AM
Did you allow for the kerf Shannon? ;-}

D = (2r(sqrt(2) - 1)-k)/(1 + sqrt(2)) Where k is the kerf. (if you get tricky and make the cuts intersect)

Thanks Ern :q

Think I might have to introduce a care factor here soon :D.

RETIRED
30th January 2009, 08:33 AM
Much easier just to cut it.:D

rsser
30th January 2009, 09:43 AM
Just did. Two hours to cut and wax :-

K, for all those with orders in, I'll go over the pile on Monday, count and price the useful blanks. It's likely I'll have trouble getting 17. There was a lot of waste but I got the two beams for the price of one

There's some very nice colour and figure there.

If anyone's also interested in some spindle blanks of 4x4, let me know.

jefferson
30th January 2009, 05:09 PM
Ern,

I'd be interested in those 4 by 4 blanks. Any idea on price?

Thanks Jeff

rsser
31st January 2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks Jeff and Shannon for your interest.

The spindle blanks won't be cut til next week. At that time I'll estimate wastage on the project overall and provide firm prices. As an indication, excluding wastage the beams amounted to $118 per cube.

Mulgabill
31st January 2009, 12:02 PM
Hey Ern!
I may be interested in some 4x4 spindle blanks depending on length!

rsser
31st January 2009, 12:57 PM
Goodo Russell.

I'll post what's available by way of spindle blanks and smaller bowl blanks on Monday with pricing.

Demand is outstripping supply, and waste is greater than expected, so they are all going to have to be rationed I'm afraid. I will do my best to fulfill the initial bowl blank requests but suspect that there will be 3-4 fewer than estimated.

Just to say again, I'm selling these at cost as a service to the forum turners so apologies in advance if you're disappointed at not getting all you want.

jefferson
31st January 2009, 01:24 PM
Ern, at $120 a cube, I'll take 5 cubes please. Cheap firewood if nothing else. But I bet there's some decent stuff there in the 4 by 4s.

I'll be a little late tomorrow I suspect, so please save some time for the bead turning.

regards Jeff

Mulgabill
31st January 2009, 01:32 PM
All understood Ern! and thanks for you efforts. I bet the a/c has been working o/t.:sweat:

rsser
31st January 2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks Russell ... yep, 'fraid I've been drawing off the grid an irresponsible number of Kilowatts :-{

Jeff, 'bead on a bowl' session will be about 11.30 am.

rsser
20th February 2009, 02:29 PM
Hi all,

Sorry about the delay with blocking down the blackwood.

There have been completely unwarranted intrusions of work, family and health on my time - damn irritatin' :(

Anyway, I resumed cutting this morning and then the bandy gave up; lower blade guide bearings seized.

I'll finish the job over the weekend.

There will be fewer bowl blanks than expected, and some smaller than expected, and a bunch of spindle blanks. I'll PM each of you who put your hand up letting you know what I can do by way of bowl blanks, and also list spindle blanks and prices here.

Thanks for your patience.

bowl-basher
20th February 2009, 07:25 PM
Ern

Thanks for all the work you are putting in I for one realy appreciate what you are doing
Regards
Bowl Basher

tea lady
21st February 2009, 05:09 PM
Hi all,

Sorry about the delay with blocking down the blackwood.

There have been completely unwarranted intrusions of work, family and health on my time - damn irritatin' :(

Anyway, I resumed cutting this morning and then the bandy gave up; lower blade guide bearings seized.

I'll finish the job over the weekend.

There will be fewer bowl blanks than expected, and some smaller than expected, and a bunch of spindle blanks. I'll PM each of you who put your hand up letting you know what I can do by way of bowl blanks, and also list spindle blanks and prices here.

Thanks for your patience.

Thanks for all your work Ern. My bit looks good. I think I nearly know what to do with it. Damn nerve wracking to cut into a bit of wood worth actual money.:C:D