PDA

View Full Version : Shavings and dust

12th May 2004, 11:56 PM
I recently purchased a thicknesser to recyle timber as I can't afford to buy it new. Problem I now have is that i have bags of shavings and saw dust. The worm farm is full of it, the compost heap is reaching eye height, my partner lost a garden bed through 18 inches of shavings, yet I still have bags of this stuff lying around. How does every dispose of it????? All clean, no foreign matter, any sugestions on who would use it. Will deliver.
Thanks
Fed

soundman
13th May 2004, 12:42 AM
Any body with horse stables would be interested in the shavings.

Bob Willson
13th May 2004, 05:53 AM
What about people with dunnies?

bitingmidge
13th May 2004, 07:46 AM
I once tried to find information on making artificial logs to burn. I am sure that one could make a simple press to create the things, and there are a number of sites which allude to these, but so far not so much as a picture.

Bunnies have recently started to sell "logs" of sawdust made in WA.

If anyone has any information on what is used to bind the stuff, we could all go into business.

Surely it can't be as simple as compressing wet stuff and letting it dry can it?

Cheers,

p

ozwinner
13th May 2004, 08:31 AM
I once tried to find information on making artificial logs to burn. I am sure that one could make a simple press to create the things, and there are a number of sites which allude to these, but so far not so much as a picture.

Bunnies have recently started to sell "logs" of sawdust made in WA.

If anyone has any information on what is used to bind the stuff, we could all go into business.

Surely it can't be as simple as compressing wet stuff and letting it dry can it?

Cheers,

p
Or maybe it is, I tryed the same thing ages ago useing old shellac as the glue, but I never compressed it.
It did sort of cling together.

Al

silentC
13th May 2004, 10:42 AM
DaveInOz tried this out and posted his results in a thread here somewhere. It wasn't very successful - the stuff just smouldered and produced a lot of smoke but no real flame.

I take mine to the local 'waste recycling centre' (rubbish tip in oldspeak) where it is recycled with the garden waste as mulch. They sell it on, so they happily take it for free.

13th May 2004, 10:45 AM
The tip. Why are the simplest of ideas the best! Very green, recyled timber waste ends up being recylced. Many thanks for your thoughts.
Fed :)

Ian007
13th May 2004, 11:09 AM
i used to manage a fodder store. i would buy shavings and saw dust (in wool bales)for the horse stables and also make up small bags for people for use in animals cages, mice rats etc. try that

soundman
15th May 2004, 06:59 PM
If you were real keen about the burning thing you could try mixing the shavings with water & shredded paper (which would act as the binder) and find one of those "combusta brick makers" they were selling in the 80's (it was a toy press). Aparantly you leave the slop to soak overnight.

smidsy
15th May 2004, 10:46 PM
If you simply want to get rid of it why not place a free to good home ad in your local free ad newspaper.
If as other posters say, people are willing to pay for the stuff you should easily be able to find someone willing to take it off you.
Cheers
Smidsy