PDA

View Full Version : My very own lathe!!!

ElizaLeahy
20th January 2009, 07:11 PM
It's still in the box - I'll set it up tomorrow and take a photo to show you.

I got a jet mini lathe from Dave at Sth E Qld Woodworking. My goodness - what a LOVELY guy! He spent ages with me explaining and answering all my stupid questions.

And I got a great deal! He told me to get a bench from Bunnings and save on the price of the legs, so I bought a chuck as well. He had it on special for $150. I also got some timber oil.

At Bunnings I got the stand, some sandpaper and some glue. OK, the glue was for something else :)

Tomorrow I'll move everything out of my tiny shed and set it up and take a photo and show you.

Anyone in Brisbane got any practice pieces of wood they don't want? :)

dai sensei
20th January 2009, 07:17 PM
Come on down to the BBQ Monday at my place (see woodies events) and your sure to pick up something from the swap

Cheers

BernieP
20th January 2009, 07:46 PM
G'Day Eliza

Congrats on all your purchases, looking forward to the pics.

Cheers
Bernie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th January 2009, 07:58 PM
And I got a great deal! He told me to get a bench from Bunnings and save on the price of the legs, so I bought a chuck as well. He had it on special for $150. I also got some timber oil.

Way to go! :2tsup: The JET is a nice little lathe.

You bought a chainsaw yet? :D

Sawdust Maker
20th January 2009, 08:15 PM

And a ute or trailer :D
congrats on the purchase - you'll never look at a tree the same way again :U

lubbing5cherubs
20th January 2009, 08:30 PM
Welcome to our world. Just remember the lathe is the cheapest part.
bye toni

ElizaLeahy
20th January 2009, 08:46 PM

Funny story about our incompetence with a chain saw and the reason I DON'T have one!

My ex bought a heap of stuff from an aquantance who needed cash fast, so we got a heap of stuff we didn't need, and passed over some money we couldn't afford. One of the things was a chain saw.

We had a little farm at Mooloolah at the time, so some things came in handy.

Hubby decided to clear some of the trees down near the creek. We aren't talking about huge trees here, just things that you could easily wrap your arms around with overlap.

So he started the chainsaw and cut through a tree. The tree sat there and looked at us. He pushed it. It didn't move. The canapy was caught in the tree next to it. So he decided to cut down the tree next to it. He cut through it - it, it didn't move...

Two more trees later we decided to go have a cup of coffee and see what happened.

Half way up the hill we hear the crash start - the trees finally fell, one after another - taking the fence with them! And I had 15 goats and 4 horses to keep in!

I refused to let him use it again after that.

Anyway - I'm scared of them. Also scared of bandsaws...

I'm wondering how scary a scroll saw is though!

ElizaLeahy
20th January 2009, 08:47 PM
Come on down to the BBQ Monday at my place (see woodies events) and your sure to pick up something from the swap

Cheers

Way cool! I'll check it out. Not sure about the wisdom of trying to drive down your way on Australia Day though!

But thanks for the invite!

artme
20th January 2009, 09:57 PM
Good for you Eliza!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Several of us going down from Bris. You might be able to line up a lift.

ElizaLeahy
20th January 2009, 10:07 PM
Good for you Eliza!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Several of us going down from Bris. You might be able to line up a lift.

Thanks! (and I would like to meet you sometime)

The problem isn't the lift - I have a car. I'm just nervous in traffic and don't usually go anywhere on public holidays. I'd be worse as a passanger!

I really appreciate the kindness and goodwill of everyone in the forums - I think you are all great!

:)

Eliza

Wizened of Oz
20th January 2009, 10:19 PM
Yes. Go to Dai Sensei's get-together, Eliza.
I'll bring a ute load of turning pieces you are welcome to have.

tea lady
20th January 2009, 10:22 PM
You got a lathe ALREADY? Aren't you suppose to um and ah for a while yet.:rolleyes:

Well done. Looking forward to the pics. :2tsup:

(Go to the BBQ. I can atest that Dai sensei is a great bloke in person as well as on the forum, and all the rest seem harmless enough.:rolleyes: And as the only girl there you won't need a name tag. :p Unless Wendy is going too.:D And you will prolly come home laden with stuff and some knowledge.:2tsup: )

ElizaLeahy
20th January 2009, 10:40 PM
Wow, I've never had so many people invite me somewhere before!

Love to go, will think about it :)

Many thanks.

ElizaLeahy
20th January 2009, 10:41 PM
You got a lathe ALREADY? Aren't you suppose to um and ah for a while yet.:rolleyes:

Well done. Looking forward to the pics. :2tsup:

Did!!! For a whole WEEK!!!!! I think I checked out every lathe in my price range in Brisbane, and drooled over all the others! :)

tea lady
20th January 2009, 10:45 PM
Did!!! For a whole WEEK!!!!! I think I checked out every lathe in my price range in Brisbane, and drooled over all the others! :)

So all the other display models might go rusty?:rolleyes:

You are rightthough! A week is long time to shop.:D

Ed Reiss
20th January 2009, 11:50 PM
It's still in the box - I'll set it up tomorrow and take a photo to show you.

I got a jet mini lathe from Dave at Sth E Qld Woodworking. My goodness - what a LOVELY guy! He spent ages with me explaining and answering all my stupid questions.

At Bunnings I got the stand, some sandpaper and some glue. OK, the glue was for something else :)

Tomorrow I'll move everything out of my tiny shed and set it up and take a photo and show you.

Anyone in Brisbane got any practice pieces of wood they don't want? :)

Belated Christmas presents....yeayyyyy!!!:2tsup:
'spect the first bowl will be turned post-haste:U

Gil Jones
21st January 2009, 05:21 AM
Congratulations on your new lathe; you made a good choice.
Have fun learning to turn, and stay safe.
The BBQ sure does sound like fun, and I would go in a heartbeat if it was a tad closer.:)

RETIRED
21st January 2009, 07:36 AM
Anyway - I'm scared of them. Also scared of bandsaws...

I'm wondering how scary a scroll saw is though! All my tools scare me. You keep appendages longer that way.:wink:

new_guy90
21st January 2009, 11:02 AM
cool Eliza now your all set to make chips :2tsup:

post some pic's when you can oh and have fun:)

Patrick

switt775
21st January 2009, 11:48 AM
All my tools scare me. You keep appendages longer that way.:wink:

:exactly:

ElizaLeahy
21st January 2009, 02:24 PM
http://www.elizasart.com/temp/lathe

Yes, it's a lathe! See how clean it is? How long do you think that will last?

Alas, it does not fit in my tiny excuse for a shed! So here it is in a sheltered corner of the patio. The rain never gets to this spot, but I'll make it a waterproof cover anyway.

I stuck a piece of wood in it so that it looks busy...

Thanks for all your help! But I have a problem... Now I'm too scared to use it...

(plus it's HOT out there!)

ElizaLeahy
21st January 2009, 02:44 PM
Woohoo! I made a round stick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.elizasart.com/temp/lathe2.jpg

Anyone know what wood that is? It's light (in weight), but Dave said it was very strong. He also said what it was, but I forget :)

ElizaLeahy
21st January 2009, 03:00 PM
You know how you never really stop buying things...

Well, the tools I bought turned up. I have the grinder from John (thanks John!), but guess what... When I went to change to the white wheel I discovered that my spanner isn't big enough to change the wheel. So now I have to get, of all things, a SPANNER!!!!!! LOL

I'm going to talk to Dave about a longer tool rest too.

But hey, I get paid tomorrow!

Rum Pig
21st January 2009, 03:03 PM
That is a nice looking lathe you have got Elizaleahy:2tsup:

I wish I had taken a pic of my lathe when it was brand new:rolleyes:
I like what you are using for a stand good idea:2tsup:
You will need to make sure the door is closed and has a good seal on it or you will have that pesky dust getting every were:o

Good luck and have fun :U

Ozkaban
21st January 2009, 03:04 PM
Very neat looking lathe there Eliza...

I noticed that the screen door is looking neat too. Probably wont be after you turn your first item, and when you sand that black mesh is gonna turn opaque...

I'd get a sheet of MDF (or something similar) in behind the lath to save a big cleanup effort :2tsup:

Lots of fun buying all of the tools though! You can never have enough!

Cheers,
Dave

ElizaLeahy
21st January 2009, 03:43 PM
Very neat looking lathe there Eliza...

I noticed that the screen door is looking neat too. Probably wont be after you turn your first item, and when you sand that black mesh is gonna turn opaque...

I'd get a sheet of MDF (or something similar) in behind the lath to save a big cleanup effort :2tsup:

Lots of fun buying all of the tools though! You can never have enough!

Cheers,
Dave

Tis fine - that door stays shut! I'll clean it ever now and then, but it's just a wall, really.

Hey! I just wrecked my first hairstick! YAY!!!!!! Broke before I was finished. Learned how thin I can turn now...

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st January 2009, 03:47 PM
With practice you'll be able to turn really, REALLY thin sticks. Of the order of only a mm or two. Honestly!

The trick is to support the work so it doesn't flex - I hook a finger over the wood to support behind where I'm cutting - and, as usual, sharp tools & a light touch.

I've turned my fair share of trembleurs & long-stemmed flowers and it really is just a case of practice, practice, damn, practice, patience, practice...

Oh... and very, very carefully selecting a fine-grained timber with a strong, straight grain. :D

ElizaLeahy
21st January 2009, 04:06 PM
With practice you'll be able to turn really, REALLY thin sticks. Of the order of only a mm or two. Honestly!

The trick is to support the work so it doesn't flex - I hook a finger over the wood to support behind where I'm cutting - and, as usual, sharp tools & a light touch.

I've turned my fair share of trembleurs & long-stemmed flowers and it really is just a case of practice, practice, damn, practice, patience, practice...

Oh... and very, very carefully selecting a fine-grained timber with a strong, straight grain. :D

I got it down to around 5mm, with blunt tools - I can't sharpen them until I get the white wheel on the grinder, I can't get the white wheel on the grinder because the spanner doesn't fit... (but I just had to try it!)

More shopping tomorrow!!!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st January 2009, 04:30 PM
I got it down to around 5mm, with blunt tools - I can't sharpen them until I get the white wheel on the grinder, I can't get the white wheel on the grinder because the spanner doesn't fit... (but I just had to try it!)

I can relate to that! :)

Sawdust Maker
21st January 2009, 07:50 PM
You know how you never really stop buying things...

I'm going to talk to Dave about a longer tool rest too.

But hey, I get paid tomorrow!

If you know someone with a welder get them to make you one (or two) that way you can get them made to any size you want.

I really love the exuberance of the person with the newly acquired lathe

bobsreturn2003
21st January 2009, 07:57 PM
get some help learning to use one . so much easier than getting sewn back together . tafe colleges usually have courses , level 1 for trees that are on ground and 2 for simple tree felling -is this possible? definately a lot safer when shown the right wat . cheers bob

artme
21st January 2009, 08:02 PM
How about a video of your little jig of excitement?:D:D:D

ElizaLeahy
21st January 2009, 09:22 PM
If you know someone with a welder get them to make you one (or two) that way you can get them made to any size you want.

I really love the exuberance of the person with the newly acquired lathe

I don't know anyone - the unfortunate side of living a maleless existance! LOL (the fortunate side is that I don't have to do housework if I don't wanna!)

I tried welding once, was fun.

If I can't buy one I'll just live with moving the shorter one.

Sawdust Maker
22nd January 2009, 08:23 AM
I'm sure Enzo and Yvonne would love to sell you one
They are Vermec here (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/toolrests.pdf)

Ed Reiss
22nd January 2009, 01:15 PM
Damn...can't remember the last time saw a lathe that clean:o:doh:

ElizaLeahy
22nd January 2009, 01:40 PM
get some help learning to use one . so much easier than getting sewn back together . tafe colleges usually have courses , level 1 for trees that are on ground and 2 for simple tree felling -is this possible? definately a lot safer when shown the right wat . cheers bob

Don't worry Bob. A chain saw is never going to be in my shopping trolley!

ElizaLeahy
22nd January 2009, 01:41 PM
Damn...can't remember the last time saw a lathe that clean:o:doh:

Don't worry - it's dusty already! ;)