PDA

View Full Version : Latest (small) Big Stuff project

Claw Hama
20th January 2009, 09:24 PM

94456Latest project, Christmas has left a hole in my commission work so I have had a couple of days to do a small project that I will put into one of the local woodwork galleries. I have had the timber (Coachwood) in the shed since last years Newcastle wood show, so thought I should put it to use.

Chipman
20th January 2009, 09:30 PM
Well done CH:2tsup: Nice combination of the natural and the traditional

I grew up around Newcastle and remember doing projects at school out of coach wood. Nice stuff! Don't see it much down south.

Cheers,

Chipman

artme
20th January 2009, 09:54 PM
Like the chipman I like the rustic X moder approach employed in this piece.:2tsup::2tsup::)

RufflyRustic
20th January 2009, 10:13 PM
Well Well Well! You most certainly have got my attention Claw Hama. very intriguing :2tsup::)

cheers
Wendy

Claw Hama
20th January 2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks Guys & Girls, I will post a better photo once I get the final coats on and get it
out of the workshop. The slab had what apeared to be a branch and a root on the same edge, same curve, same size, similar form so I thought I might as well use them.

Claw Hama
22nd January 2009, 06:14 PM
Completed artical ready to go to the woodwork gallery. All held together with 8 hand cut Ebony dowels and a little glue, 3 coats of Estapol and polished with steelwool and oil.

Lumber Bunker
22nd January 2009, 08:40 PM
Claw,
It's cool and looks well done, I'm not sure if it's my cup of tea though. I just i'm not sure about the bark on the front legs? If i was going with the natural edge i would have taken the bark off and kept the natural shape... maybe.

Well done, let us know where it ends up and we'll be able to go a check it out.

Tex B
22nd January 2009, 08:48 PM
I like it Claw.

The front legs curving out reminds me of Marilyn Monroe (or insert latest starlet here) standing with her weight on one leg, the other indifferently curving out by way of invitation.

Very nice, and I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding a wealthy buyer who simply must have it.

Well done.

Tex

snapman007
22nd January 2009, 09:39 PM
excellent, wood luv to see it in the flesh.

2 questions. Were the front legs cut from the same piece and why did you choose dressed legs for the back?

well done

Tung tied
22nd January 2009, 09:53 PM
Nice job Claw Hama,

I like the idea of no metal fasteners with just the 8 dowels and glue. How deep did you place the dowels into the legs and what type of glue did you use? I've been using urethane glue a bit recently but got a bit of joint creep a couple of days ago when it was 40 degrees.

Cheers

Bryan

Peter36
22nd January 2009, 09:56 PM
veerrry interestink. Vot sort of joints haf u used to fix the shelf to zee legs:D

Claw Hama
23rd January 2009, 02:38 PM
Hi Folks

Steve, It's up in wine country, Australian Woodwork Gallery ( Greg & Sarah)
I took the bark off but there was still that dark stained layer which gave it the definition from natural to dressed.

Snapman, yes the legs were cut from the same slab, the Coachwood tree is something similar to a fig, I think and it had one limb poking out one end and the other maybe a root poking out the other.
The back legs were kept straight so as a side table it can be pushed back against a wall.

TT, the dowels go down into the leg about 50mm, I use Triton Glue (Modified PVA) I did some destruction tests a couple of years ago and it was the best by far, I use urethane glue sometimes but find it has limited applications.

Pete, the 4 legs were glued and doweld to the top, the top of the legs were notched into the side of the top to stop and sidways movement then doweled to pin in place. The shelf was then slid up between the legs, glued, clamped and then later doweled. The 10mm Ebony dowels are very strong.

Tex, you realy are into the wood arn't you!!

clare
2nd February 2009, 07:39 AM
Nice work:2tsup:........and nice shed! Very organised.

Claw Hama
2nd February 2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks Clare, small shed I have no choice but to keep it clean or I can't move.

clare
2nd February 2009, 03:00 PM
Ha ha!! I know what you mean (.........."Shall I have another beer or will it mean only being able to work side-on all week?" :; )Hope Japan was good. My daughter's loving it there.

BobR
2nd February 2009, 03:44 PM
Very different and well executed. Good luck with the gallery.

Claw Hama
2nd February 2009, 04:22 PM
Thank you Bob, it's always fun to go with the flow of the timber. the next project is very different will have pics tonight or tomorrow.

Clare, Japan was great, we did a road trip of about 2500kms in 8 days roughly Tokyo- Gamagori- Kyoto- Toyama- Nazawa (snow fileds) - Tokyo. Interesting driving in Japan very curtious but very fast with a Japanese GPS and japanese maps. Castles, temples , gardens, lots of woodwork to look at all very interesting. Great architecture and great food to boot. I;m sure your daughter will have a great time.
Thanks again guys.