PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 13 May 04

Ralph Jones
13th May 2004, 10:31 AM
Good Morning Mates,
Running a bit late this AM.
I make picture frames from old barn boards, and you know the problem: when I saw a piece to size, I expose light colored wood that looks like it just came from a store.

Is there a way to create a rustic, weathered look on the fresh sawn wood?

Respectfully, ;)

Bob Willson
13th May 2004, 01:50 PM
3 methods immediately spring to mind.

1) OK, this is where the good old angle grinder comes in.
Fit a really old wheel to the grinder and just hack into the newly cut edges. Pretty soon you will have a lump of timber that is a lot smaller and definitely rusticer.

2) Take your beautiful piece of newly cut timber and glue it to the road. This in itself will give some rustic effect as ripping it back up again will inevitably leave some parts of it on the road. However, for th enonce leave it in a roaded position for several days, depending on traffic levels, and when removed to the shed (and after a light sanding) it may readily be observed that there isn't going to be much more rustification possible on this piece of firewood.

3) a)When the first cut is made it should only take the thickness of the blade plus another 2mm.
b) Put this 2mm thick strip aside for now.
c) Cut the already exposed new surface to it's finished size.
d) using the previously saved 2mm thick strip as a pattern, carefully apply white ants to new surface. the ants may be controlled by gluing their feet into the positions that you require the pattern to be made.
f) Lightly sand to remove ant feet from finished product.

Cliff Rogers
13th May 2004, 02:41 PM
Good Morning Mates,
Is there a way to create a rustic, weathered look on the fresh sawn wood?

Respectfully, ;)

G'day.

Gas axe.

Wire brush wheel on an angle grinder.

Wet it & bury it in the garden for a week or two.

journeyman Mick
13th May 2004, 02:47 PM
Wet it & bury it in the garden for a week or two.

Hmm, in my garden that would give you an extremely rustic look IF the termites left you anything.
BTW, if you were making a picture frame and mitred the corners there wouldn't really be any cut timber exposed. Maybe just a slight sliver here or there due to mismatch caused by variations in thickness. (Width variations I would hide by doing a bastard mitre).

Mick

silentC
13th May 2004, 03:17 PM
If I buried it in the garden, my dog would dig it up and chew on it. Are rusticated and masticated the same thing?

ozwinner
13th May 2004, 05:36 PM
High pressure water works ok on Irish Pine.

Al

multinut
13th May 2004, 08:27 PM
milk ?
:eek: :eek: :eek:

AlexS
13th May 2004, 08:37 PM
Silent,
Rusticating and masticating are NOT the same thing. If you don't stop masticating, you'll go blind (and your teeth will fall out).

Ralph Jones
13th May 2004, 09:49 PM
Good Evening Mates,
There are two methods that have produced great results to this dilemma.
One is a product called "AGE IT EASY" which comes in a 3.5oz bottle from Micro Mack, and the other one is as Robert Wilson described. Simply rip a sliver about 2mm off the edge and set it aside, then when you have ripped the board to it's proper width minus the 2mm and saw kerf simply glue it back on and it will look as it did before you made the first cut.

Good thinking Robert.

Thank you all for your support.

Respectfully, ;)