PDA

View Full Version : I'm on the move again

dai sensei
21st January 2009, 09:40 PM
Ok I'm heading off south on another camping/timber collecting/forumite visitting trip from here on the Gold Coast to the Vic/NSW border and back taking 4-5 weeks (over Feb+). I'll be heading down via the coast and coming back via Canberra and coast again (?)

I'll be spending a few days in Foster/Tuncurry, a day or so in Batemans Bay, ~10 days in Tathra/Bega, 2-3 days in Canberra.

Some forumites I already know get no choice, I'm coming around, get the BBQ ready :U

Other forumites along the way, PM me your address/phone details so I can make plans to call in if I can.

Cheers

RETIRED
21st January 2009, 10:21 PM
You just can't stay at home, can you?:D

Waldo
21st January 2009, 10:25 PM
Don't forget to call into the Ayres Rock servo near Karuah, can't remember if it's Mike or Mell that runs it, but they'd loved to find out they have a long lost brother. :D

tea lady
21st January 2009, 11:01 PM

Worse than our prime minister..........without uuuuuum.....leaving the country.:rolleyes::doh:

Jim Carroll
22nd January 2009, 08:48 AM
You sure you are not part Gypsy.

dai sensei
22nd January 2009, 08:06 PM
This is to use the last of my excess leave from years of not taking much. Mind you, I have travelled to Melb a fair bit to see me mum :B.

You sure you are not part Gypsy.

:- I prefer other people's cooking :U

Don't forget to call into the Ayres Rock servo near Karuah, can't remember if it's Mike or Mell that runs it, but they'd loved to find out they have a long lost brother. :D

Got heaps of relatives down that way, but are you referring to something else :?

Worse than our prime minister..........without uuuuuum.....leaving the country.:rolleyes::doh:

But I go O/S too :rolleyes:

Sawdust Maker
22nd January 2009, 08:30 PM
Sydney?

dai sensei
22nd January 2009, 08:47 PM
Sydney?

Yeh I will be passing coming down the Pac Hwy, then onto freeways etc. I don't know Sydney at all, nor do I have a directory, so unless it is on the way I'll probably get lost :-. I'll also have the trailer on, so the city is out.

PM me some contacts details so I can look it up.

Waldo
22nd January 2009, 09:14 PM
Got heaps of relatives down that way, but are you referring to something else :?

Mike and Mell Leyland. :doh:

dai sensei
22nd January 2009, 10:20 PM
:U:U:doh:

dai sensei
28th January 2009, 09:41 PM
:bump:

Waldo
28th January 2009, 09:56 PM
You coming back down to Melb, or is the border far south enough this time?

I went for a drive today to the border and not long after crossing into New South headed back again. :U

fenderbelly
29th January 2009, 10:12 PM
About 4 months ago we ended up in Swan Hill on a mystery tour.
The driver took us across the bridge up the street and back and said there you go you can tell people you went to New South Wales as well.

Cheers Fred

dai sensei
29th January 2009, 10:27 PM
You coming back down to Melb, or is the border far south enough this time?

Just the border this time. I'll probably be back in Melb later in the year

Waldo
29th January 2009, 10:37 PM
Just the border this time. I'll probably be back in Melb later in the year

:2tsup: we'll put out the welcome mat again somewhere.

dai sensei
3rd February 2009, 10:43 PM
Anyone else, I'm leaving soon :wink:

Greg Ward
4th February 2009, 11:11 AM
As you travel past Tele Point , just north of Port Macquarie, consider calling on Mal at Boutique Timbers, make sure your boot is empty.
Call him on 0416 097 827 to make sure he'll be there. The farm is signposted, about 15 km west on Rollands Plains Rd,.
Happy travelling
Regards
Greg

dai sensei
4th February 2009, 08:07 PM
I intended to call in on the way back, if the trailer still has room, but I am taking my mill with me :rolleyes:

dai sensei
6th February 2009, 10:07 AM
I'm on my way :2tsup:

I'll be checking the forum via internet cafe's now :(, so I will only be on from time to time.

Waldo
6th February 2009, 10:08 AM
How far south are you?

dai sensei
6th February 2009, 10:25 AM
Give me time to pull out the driveway :U

Waldo
6th February 2009, 10:28 AM
At this rate, the tectonic plates will have shifted and it'll take you longer to drive south. :doh:

dai sensei
6th February 2009, 10:21 PM
Well I am in Coffs Habour at the moment on Underfoot's place. John has some serious carvings and other art works here, looking forward to his shed tomorrow :2tsup:

dai sensei
8th February 2009, 08:05 PM
Last night at Underfoot's place, it really is heaven around here. Just a few pics to prove I was here, some of the beach from the headland near Underfoot's house, 2 shota from my dive trip (new relatively cheap camera), and one of myself and Undy.

Off towards Tuncurry tomorrow, not on fire there yet.

Cheers till next time.

dai sensei
12th February 2009, 10:22 AM
Ok, just spend a few days at Tuncurry/Foster to visit the relations and call in on Peter at the artisans retreat (http://artisansretreat.com/). Got to see some lovely timbers and a large workshop with heaps of Lathes :2tsup:. Peter has done a good job putting the gallery together, I even got to see some of TTIT's work.

Thanks for your time and lunch Peter :2tsup:

Some more photos - Peter in the gallery and some more diving shots from Pinnicle near Forster. Water was only 13.7 C :o, bit cold compared to the 23 C at Coffs . Limitted software to edit the photos at his internet cafe, and the water was a bit murky again.

Next stop Kiama via Sydney.

ps Sorry to miss you Calibran @ Kempsey, I called in, I might catch you on the way back if I travel the coast road again. I did see the old trailer, now brown :p

dai sensei
20th February 2009, 04:53 PM
Called in to SilentC's place for a meal :2tsup: and mandatory shed tour. Got some snaps but will have to wait until I get somewhere with better photo software.

I love this part of Aus (Bega/Merimbula/Pambula) with plenty of old friends I have known from childhood. My best mate's mother died this week and I have been helping him out with arrangements etc and went to the funeral today. Will be around here for a few more days, with dive planned tomorrow, then off to Canberra.

Not sure which way home yet, seems there has been a bit of flooding on both routes :(

silentC
21st February 2009, 06:04 PM
Good to catch up Neil. Hope the dive went well, at least the weather has improved a bit for you :)

dai sensei
26th February 2009, 01:25 PM
Good to catch up Neil. Hope the dive went well, at least the weather has improved a bit for you :)

I got to dive Sat at Eden in perfect weather on an old sunken tug, good vis and plenty of Kingfish above with small fish, rays and eels below.

Missing pic attached.

Just after the funeral for my mates mother, his wife was rushed to hospital in Bega, later to be transferred to Canberra hospital. Cist on the liver, now drained and she is on the mend again luckily, but will be in hospital another 2-3 weeks. Hopefully she will be transferred back to Bega hospital this weekend. Luckily I was on my way to Canberra anyway :U

Waldo
26th February 2009, 01:28 PM
Banksia cabinet looks fan-ruddy-tastic, the two blokes leaning against it well... :D

Great to read up on where the lost Leyland brother is and up to. :2tsup:

dai sensei
26th February 2009, 01:40 PM
Just before leaving Bega my mate showed me a slab he was intending to cut up for firewood :o:doh:. It was a highly figured. notted and twisted slab 400x200 7 feet long (just fits in trailer) red gum hibrid species.

Whilst in Canberra I called in on Penpal. I dropped off some timber for pens for him, but ended up getting loaded straight back up with more than I bought :2tsup::rolleyes: Peter is a very kind and generous person with a collection of rare and beautiful timbers I hope my collection will get too when I reach his age. I've never seen so many pen blanks in one place. His wife also made a beautiful lunch, thank you :2tsup:

Last night I also caught up with Peter again at his local woodworking club. Got to talk to quite a few members and inspect a lot of good gear. There were some demos, one on finishing with a wipe on poly type product and then one of Ubeaut's shellac/wax polishing finishes from Neil's book (the bible). He ended up with a good finish, but he didn't give me much confidence when he recommended skipping grades of sandpaper and using old sandpaper :?:doh:

Peter then also took me out to the clubs timber stash out back for sale at reduces prices. What can I say, couldn't resist and spent another $50. My trailer is going to be so full on the way back :-, I still have to pick up 5 logs of Osage Orange from another member on the way to Sydney (my next stop).

kekemo
27th February 2009, 06:27 PM
OMG....Neil :doh:....woodworking ....traveling.... diving...
So lucky you didn't mention 4WD & caravan...or I'd be there.....:rico:for anyone who loves traveling....sob sob sob sob .....:bigcry:

Who else is drooling?

Gee Neil, watch out for Shane ...... he'll come online... & say you're what he's looking for....lol.....Be worried.... be very worried....

Wonder how many others are also anticipating hi-jacking your trailer... once it's full...on return trip... forget tightening the shackles... weld the bugger on!....

Is anyone offering odds or whether you trade in trailer for larger size.... before heading back...LOL :2tsup:

dai sensei
1st March 2009, 02:04 PM
Travelling back towards Sydney from Canberra on Thursday I called in on Phil Whitton from the forum to drop off some Blackwood and Mango logs I brought down, and pick up some Osage Orange logs. Like many forumites I have visitted on this trip, Phil is another generous likeable bloke with heaps of beautiful bits of furniture and a large shed full of timber (and bikes, onya Wally :U).

The trailer is officially full now, the only way I can get more is by swapping, although am still to drop off the Triton router table :rolleyes:

dai sensei
1st March 2009, 02:09 PM
OMG....Neil :doh:....woodworking ....traveling.... diving...
So lucky you didn't mention 4WD & caravan...or I'd be there.....

:U:U So I shouldn't say I am in a caravan at South West Rocks at the moment, and this morning went 4WDing with a local to a nearby waterfall for a swim....... :roll:

Here's some pics from my dive yesterday at Fish Rock. Basically an island with a cave running from one side to another with plenty of Wobbies and lobsters, and Grey Nurse sharks at either end. Beautiful and graceful creatures, totally harmless, although swimming up towards the boat at the end through a school of sharks is a bit nerve racking :U Best dive I have had on the trip.

Sorry about he pics, no decent picture software at these internet cafe's.

Leave here tomorrow and only a few days before I get home again.

Cheers

kekemo
2nd March 2009, 02:17 AM
:ft:

:giveup3:
OH... did you have to?
Complete & utter contempt for you ... how could you add that now..!!!.

How intolerable to sit here reading you're posts.. then look at pictures... the wobby looks a nice tasty size.... but sweetie you can have the SHARKS... all to yourself.... :urstupid: that's not my style of an enjoyable dive...

Neil..... you're going to need a holiday to rest when you get back... how terrible that will be, not being able to do woodwork for a while... you'll need time to recover from such elation... get your head out the clouds....

...now are you sure those shots aren't from the local aquarium????

Don't remember if I extended any Western Australian hospitality for your next visit.... seriously considering with-drawing all past genuine offers I may have made... don't need to be tortured :minigun: THAT much.... HOW UNREAL!!!

The 4WD & Caravaning mention was soul destroying...

:blowkiss: :blowkiss:

dai sensei
3rd March 2009, 02:01 PM
The 4WD & Caravaning mention was soul destroying...

Sorry :U:U

ps Not coming to WA this month as originally planned, perhaps later in the year if funds permit.

...now are you sure those shots aren't from the local aquarium????

Not this time, there were heaps of Grey Nurses at either end of the cave dive, totally harmless though. Beautiful graceful creatures, there must have been at least 50 circling the small outcrop island, known as Fish Island.

dai sensei
3rd March 2009, 02:08 PM
Last stop before arriving home was to visit INREB (Bernie) out the back of Mullumbimby (not far from home actually). Large property with heaps of Campher Laurel that need removal, might have to pay Bernie another visit when my trailer is empty :rolleyes:, and when I have more room at home :U.

dai sensei
4th March 2009, 06:51 PM
Finally starting to unpack the trailer. Here's a few shots of my bootie :cool:

5 large logs of Osage Orange, large slab (solid part 400x200x2100) of knarly Redgum, Stringy root ball, various lumps of highly figured Redgum (from the firewood pile), Redgum burl, Olive, Red Mallee burl, a few unidentified lumps (I'll post under timber to try and get ID), and various highly figured pen blanks.

I'll be slicing up the Osage Orange for a rocking chair this week with the left-overs and other timbers for bowls, pepper grinder and pen blanks. Should be plenty for the next SEQ forum BBQ door prizes.

John Saxton
22nd March 2009, 07:40 PM
:bump:

So Neil with all this energy spent movin' around how do ya find time for Woodworkin':rolleyes:

Are we gonna see ya at the Melbourne WW show this year?:wink:

Take Care Cheers :)

dai sensei
22nd March 2009, 10:17 PM
So Neil with all this energy spent movin' around how do ya find time for Woodworkin':rolleyes:

Are we gonna see ya at the Melbourne WW show this year?:wink:

Take Care Cheers :)

This was the last of the big holidays to use up my excess leave balance.

I hope to be back to Melbourne for the WWW show as it usually corresponds with my mother's birthday, but only for a long weekend like last year.

Allan at Wallan
14th July 2009, 10:30 PM
Finally starting to unpack the trailer. Here's a few shots of my bootie :cool:

5 large logs of Osage Orange, large slab (solid part 400x200x2100) of knarly Redgum, Stringy root ball, various lumps of highly figured Redgum (from the firewood pile), Redgum burl, Olive, Red Mallee burl, a few unidentified lumps (I'll post under timber to try and get ID), and various highly figured pen blanks.

I'll be slicing up the Osage Orange for a rocking chair this week with the left-overs and other timbers for bowls, pepper grinder and pen blanks. Should be plenty for the next SEQ forum BBQ door prizes.

Your trailer is only half full Neil. "Full" means the bodywork touches the
smoking tyres, motorists keep tooting you because of the smoke and
the chunks of burl that are falling off are causing damage to them.:D

Allan