PDA

View Full Version : Basic Table

nickdablack
22nd January 2009, 09:02 AM
I need a thin table to go between our couch and a wall. I have done this basic design on Sketchup. (my 1st time using Sketchup, which explains why the design is missing bits).
I am thinking I will joing the legs together using dowel and wood glue. I will then screw the shelf and the top to the legs. I am completely open to suggestions as the last time I built anything like this was over 15 years ago in woodwork at high school.
:U

kayu
22nd January 2009, 10:05 PM
Hi Nick,

Sketchup can be tricky when you just start!

I cleaned your design up a bit and added top and bottom-stretchers to make the table more stable.

You can use dowels for the construction but why not try mortice and tenons?

I wouldn't screw the top and the shelfs to the frame. If the wood moves you might be in trouble. The way to go is using so called "buttons" to attach the top/shelf to the frame.

If you like I can adjust your drawing to include tennon/mortices and buttons to clarify things a bit.

The key to easy editing a design you made in Sketchup is creating "components". This way things don't get glued together and you use less time creating things.

Kayu

ps I hope you don't mind messing with your design:D

nickdablack
23rd January 2009, 09:08 AM
Thankyou. I will have to practice using sketchup more.

I will look into the mortice and tennon joint. Not something I have done before.
I will also look into buttons.

Thanks heaps for the advice. :U

Slav Bojczuk
10th February 2009, 01:29 AM
I also had problems with sketchup, especially mortice and tenon etc. FOund a great site http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/
It a tutorial based and shows you how to design stairs and bookcases. I found that by opening sketchup and by hitting the pause and play button I have been able to learn how to draw curves, mouldings, dadoes, rabbets etc.

Hope this helps

nickdablack
10th February 2009, 06:51 AM
The funny thing is I learned how to use autocad at both tafe and uni.