PDA

View Full Version : Introducing me to inlays ...

Afro Boy
22nd January 2009, 03:08 PM
Hi folks,

I'm making a small side table (my first one) and I would like to create a square inlay (banding?) near the edge of the piece.

Could you point me to a few resources that might show/teach me how to do this? I've done a few searches are am not quite sure what the correct terminology is.

This is kind of the thing I'm after:

http://98.130.32.63/images/Oak2.1%20003%20t.jpg

Thanks,
Af.

toolbagsPLUS
23rd January 2009, 08:54 PM
Hi Afro, There are a few good reference books around but for what you are after.
A quick crash course would be;
1. work out where you want the banding to go.
2.(Gently) cut the veneer into the required width strips, but a couple of inches longer than you need them.
3. Trim one end to the angle required, IF YOU MESS IT UP THAT'S WHERE THE EXTRA LENGTH IS HANDY!
4. Trim the opposite angle on the other end.
5. Glue and clamp (Sticky tape) together and leave to dry.
6. Lay out where you want it to go and tape it in place securely.
7. Cut around the outline of the banding (Carefully)
8. Remove base (Substraight) to the depth of the veneers thickness.
9. Glue into position with caulds or clamping boards for as long as the glue needs +24hrs,to make sure. I always use wax lunch wrap and newspaper to soak up extra glue and bleed out between the caulds.
10. Use a good sharp cabinet scraper the remove excess glue.
11. Sand block to desired smoothness I recommend 150~220~240~320~400, but whatever floats ya boat.

Word of caution when sanding be mindful of the main area around the banding not to rub to hard with in cross grain.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers
Steve

Afro Boy
23rd January 2009, 09:13 PM
Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for the response. This is why I love this forum so much. :-)

That's perfect and gives me a good guide to go on. I'll practice on some scraps and see how we go.

Thanks,
Af.

powderpost
24th January 2009, 11:29 PM
Afro Boy,
I do a lot of this type of work. I use a plunge router to cut cut the rebate. First strip the veneer using a steel straight edge and trimming knife to the required width, a veneer saw is much better. Set the router to a depth to match the veneer banding. Use a bit a little smaller than the banding width and make two cuts to the exact width of the banding and trim the corners with a sharp chisel. I use a veneer hammer to lay the banding. Usually I do not have to press the banding, the glue as it sets will "draw" the banding into the recess, but the banding MUST be a firm fit.
Jim

Afro Boy
25th January 2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the details Jim. I'm yet to get some time in the shop to try this out but hopefully some time this week.

Where do people usualy buy their veneer from? Any good suppliers in Melbourne or Australia?

Cheers,
Af.

joez
25th January 2009, 09:15 PM
Afro Boy try:

Peter Scott-Young

37 Alexandra Rd, Ringwood East, VIC 3135

Phone:(03) 9870 8733
Fax:(03) 9870 8733

joez

Afro Boy
28th January 2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. Unforunately Ringwood is a little far for me to get to easily. Any online options or are they far and few between here?

joez
28th January 2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. Unforunately Ringwood is a little far for me to get to easily. Any online options or are they far and few between here?

You can buy over the phone, you can even get sample packs.

joez