PDA

View Full Version : My first stick!

ElizaLeahy
22nd January 2009, 03:09 PM
OK, why didn't you tell me that silky oak is really, really DUSTY? Oh my god, it just turns to talc!

I'm not sure it's going to be a good timber for hair sticks either, I think it might be too brittle.

Anyway - nothing fancy, just wanted to use my lathe and make a stick!

;)

Rum Pig
22nd January 2009, 03:28 PM
What are the dimensions of the stick?

It look like a nice piece of silky oak you have got there. At least you are turning on YOUR lathe now, keep the work cumin:U

Oh nearly forgot nice looking hair stick:2tsup::2tsup:

Gil Jones
22nd January 2009, 03:34 PM
Congrats, Eliza,
That's a fine lookin' stick:2tsup:
Try turning green wood.....hardly any dust.

ElizaLeahy
22nd January 2009, 04:05 PM
Yep, much easier on your own lathe without anyone looking over your shoulder!

turned another, didn't know what wood it was until I started turning - can't mistake campher laural for long, can you?

The silky oak one is about so long... ummm it's 6 inches the usable bit, then the nobby bit. I know it's not good, but it's all practice. Let's hope I get better before I run out of practice bits of wood! :)

Rum Pig
22nd January 2009, 04:10 PM
You will improve quicker than you think:)

I found I improved in leaps and bound once I got my lathe home because you don't mind making them mistakes, if no one hears it or sees it did it really happen:rolleyes:
Just don't be afraid to challenge yourself every now and then, but keep your safety in mind:U

new_guy90
22nd January 2009, 04:30 PM
looking good you must be handy with a skew eh? i was ???? scared the first time o used one :( but it was only the second tool ii used and i heard about those nasty dig-ins!

i love campha when you going to put up a pic of that?

Patrick

Gil Jones
22nd January 2009, 04:45 PM
Here is a video to learn from. It is simple, but also very good practice, and a fun way to learn to use the skew. Anyway, I have found that fresh (green) branches work best (at least for me) and they are available anywhere you are able to prune a tree or bush. It does help if you have pin jaws for your chuck. YouTube - Turning Wooden Flowers on a lathe
Enjoy,

artme
22nd January 2009, 06:29 PM
Nice bita Silky there Eliza. Drumstick? Phallic symbol? Ear cleaner?

Silky can get a bit dusty. If you don't like Silky you had best steer clear of Beefwood!

Great little video Gil!

tea lady
22nd January 2009, 07:04 PM
Nice stick.:cool: :2tsup: I like silky. Its my favourite wood. Can be a bit tricky to finish, but I don't care. I like it.:U

echnidna
22nd January 2009, 07:06 PM
Eliza, the dust from some timbers including silky oak are a proven health hazard.

Get a spray painters twin cartridge air filter and wear it while turning any timber.
I think you can get an economical one from supercheap autos.

ElizaLeahy
22nd January 2009, 08:59 PM
Nice bita Silky there Eliza. Drumstick? Phallic symbol? Ear cleaner?

Silky can get a bit dusty. If you don't like Silky you had best steer clear of Beefwood!

Great little video Gil!

Hair stick... although ear cleaner is a close second!

:;

ElizaLeahy
22nd January 2009, 09:28 PM
Here is a video to learn from. It is simple, but also very good practice, and a fun way to learn to use the skew. Anyway, I have found that fresh (green) branches work best (at least for me) and they are available anywhere you are able to prune a tree or bush. It does help if you have pin jaws for your chuck.
Enjoy,

Fun video! Now all I need to do is find a nice stand of hazel... lol

If I turned hair sticks like that I'd be using the sap wood, right? Would that be strong enough?

powderpost
22nd January 2009, 09:33 PM
Welcome to the disease.. :D Nice start too.
Jim

pugwash
22nd January 2009, 09:47 PM
It's quite obviously a wand. Havent you seen any of the Harry Potter films?

robutacion
22nd January 2009, 11:25 PM
Yep, much easier on your own lathe without anyone looking over your shoulder!

turned another, didn't know what wood it was until I started turning - can't mistake campher laural for long, can you?

The silky oak one is about so long... ummm it's 6 inches the usable bit, then the nobby bit. I know it's not good, but it's all practice. Let's hope I get better before I run out of practice bits of wood! :)

Hi Eliza,
Good time to get involved with wood egg making, they are good fun to make, good way to practise, and most importantly, allow you to use bits of timber that you would normally throw-away. There is a little jig that will make things a lot easier for you, I believe you will be able to make it, and want cost very much ( $10 to $20). There are many ways to do this jig, and if you do a forum search on "timber egg making", you will find lots of clues and pics, in any case, I'm giving you the link of my egg making page from my main web site, have a look and see how easy it is...! (give time for all the pics to download).
http://timberssoul.webs.com/mywoodeneggmakingjig.htm

You can buy some timber (various species) already rounded for egg making, see here, post #54,
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=73036&highlight=sausage+timber&page=4
but, if you want to send me a 3kg prepaid mail bag, I will send you some "sausages" free of charge, for you to practise! :D. If this appeal to you, send me a PM and I will provide my postal address to you, no obligation!:o

We will talk about your possible best tool (petrol, electric) "friend", the one you are scared about, on another time. Remember, ANY tool is a lot more dangerous before you know it , then after you do...!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Ed Reiss
23rd January 2009, 12:23 AM
That's a fine start Eliza...and your photography skills ain't half bad either:2tsup:

Ashore
23rd January 2009, 01:01 AM
It's only a stick if it don't come back , if it does its a boomerang :D

Ozkaban
23rd January 2009, 08:32 AM
Nice stick! Certainly better than my first efforts...

If I turned silky oak like that I'd look like the Michelin Man, only red (and bloody itchy!) I'm really allergic to that stuff!

the photo's pretty good too, though the scale is alwayd hard to work out!

Cheers,
Dave

ElizaLeahy
23rd January 2009, 08:50 AM
It's quite obviously a wand. Havent you seen any of the Harry Potter films?

that's an idea. I'll make wands!
Does anyone have any Phoenix feathers or unicorn hairs they aren't using?

ElizaLeahy
23rd January 2009, 08:52 AM
It's only a stick if it don't come back , if it does its a boomerang :D

I'll chuck it and see....

(a bit of turning humour there...)

tea lady
23rd January 2009, 09:39 AM
I'll chuck it and see....

(a bit of turning humour there...)

Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! :rolleyes::D

Sawdust Maker
23rd January 2009, 08:08 PM
Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! :rolleyes::D

Isn't that chuck! chuck! chuck! :o:U

robutacion
26th January 2009, 03:32 PM
Hi Eliza,

Sorry to bring the subject up again, and there is, my post on page 1 of this thread of yours.
I just want to make sure you have seen it, as you made to reference to it since. I don't want you to think that if you accept my offer, you feel "forced" to buy other timbers from me...!:no: I don't do, or need do such a thing, anyone that has follow my threads, will know that, I don't really care if I sell or not, I'm more interested in "getting/collecting" all types of timbers, before they are destroyed (burning, etc.). I like to make these timbers available to everyone, and I try to let new forumates know that, if they don't have any conditions to gather their own timbers, I can try to get some to them for the best possible price, I'm no business person, nor I want to be!

Don't feel that you have to ignore my offer, just because you don't want or can't afford to buy timbers from me or feel obligated to do so. Please, I'm only trying to help, and noting more, seriously...!:U

The 3Kg postal bag will cost you $9.50, plus about $0.50 to $0.70 to have it put in a medium size envelop and sent to me, and that is the only expense you will have for the 3 kg of cleaned timber (rounded as cylinders) to make eggs, or anything else you feel like it.

So, please don't be shy, and you can always say, no thank you!

PS: I like to see your enthusiasm, as a woodturner, that's very contagious in some ways, isn't that right, guys and girls?

RBTCO

ElizaLeahy
26th January 2009, 04:05 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you! I went and had a look at your eggy page, and meant to comment, but so far, hadn't got around to it.

While I'm not sure I have the urge to turn eggs I'm not opposed to saying "Yes thank you!" to timber to practice on. I'll also be happy to purchase timber, once I stop making firewood and sawdust without a result! lol

(I will need to make an egg CUP sometime in the future, once I get into the swing of it)

If you could PM me your address I'll send off an envelope - and thank you so much, and thank you for proding me again :)

Eliza

Hi Eliza,

Sorry to bring the subject up again, and there is, my post on page 1 of this thread of yours.
I just want to make sure you have seen it, as you made to reference to it since. I don't want you to think that if you accept my offer, you feel "forced" to buy other timbers from me...!:no: I don't do, or need do such a thing, anyone that has follow my threads, will know that, I don't really care if I sell or not, I'm more interested in "getting/collecting" all types of timbers, before they are destroyed (burning, etc.). I like to make these timbers available to everyone, and I try to let new forumates know that, if they don't have any conditions to gather their own timbers, I can try to get some to them for the best possible price, I'm no business person, nor I want to be!

Don't feel that you have to ignore my offer, just because you don't want or can't afford to buy timbers from me or feel obligated to do so. Please, I'm only trying to help, and noting more, seriously...!:U

The 3Kg postal bag will cost you $9.50, plus about $0.50 to $0.70 to have it put in a medium size envelop and sent to me, and that is the only expense you will have for the 3 kg of cleaned timber (rounded as cylinders) to make eggs, or anything else you feel like it.

So, please don't be shy, and you can always say, no thank you!

PS: I like to see your enthusiasm, as a woodturner, that's very contagious in some ways, isn't that right, guys and girls?

RBTCO

rodent
26th January 2009, 11:35 PM
Tea lady try ( catoniaster ) it's the tree you see around with the small red berries the birds love . it's a pest sprouts every where , straight branches , turns well , and is a white to cream colour . looks good when turned into flowers .

robutacion
27th January 2009, 01:03 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you! I went and had a look at your eggy page, and meant to comment, but so far, hadn't got around to it.

While I'm not sure I have the urge to turn eggs I'm not opposed to saying "Yes thank you!" to timber to practice on. I'll also be happy to purchase timber, once I stop making firewood and sawdust without a result! lol

(I will need to make an egg CUP sometime in the future, once I get into the swing of it)

If you could PM me your address I'll send off an envelope - and thank you so much, and thank you for proding me again :)

Eliza

Not a "problemo" Eliza,

RBTCO

munruben
30th January 2009, 10:08 AM
Anyway - nothing fancy, just wanted to use my lathe and make a stick!Well congratulations, you have achieved that goal admirably. Nice effort. :2tsup::2tsup: