PDA

View Full Version : greetings from a newbie

a.nincompoop
22nd January 2009, 10:08 PM
hi people, hope you don't mind me popping in to pick your brains.

i'm a new toymaker in need of a little advise from those wiser than me

at the moment my toy requires a 6mm axle to pass through 2x 19mm dia pine dowel sections 22mm long.

i buy the dowel through that major hardware chain and cut to lengths then drill the 1/4inch centre hole through it, which is my dilemma as , 1) i can't always keep true to centre and 2) its a very slow process clamping it in my drill press

i drill 60 of these spacers in a sitting once a month

any tips short of getting a lathe?

cheers

a.nincompoop
6th February 2009, 08:47 AM
hiya

i was a little dissappointed not to get a response after so many views but i figure perhaps i placed my question in the wrong spot? or its the normal forum protocol of post and answer before you ask for help? no dramas...i think i've found a possible solution using a pen center drilling vice or jig..which is pretty much what i jerry'd up

:)

AUSSIE
6th February 2009, 11:12 AM
I for one cant understand what you are trying to say.
at the moment my toy requires a 6mm axle to pass through 2x 19mm dia pine dowel sections 22mm long.

Shouldnt be too hard if I understand you. You are only drilling a hole 22mm deep in the center off 19mm dowel.
Is that right?
I see you have a drill press,so I assume you have a vise to suit.
A Machine Vise,I think they are called
They have a v machined in them
Have you got good brad point drills?
Mark one piece of dowel in the centre
Position it in your vise and slide under yout drill.
bring your B/P drill down and matchit to the center mark on the dowel.
Clamp the Vise to the Drill table in at least 2 places,so there is no movement.
Drill dowel.
Each time you place a dowel in wise,all you need to do is place it in the groove and tighten it then drill it.
Does this help

forunna
6th February 2009, 12:30 PM
How bout making a jig.
a simple piece of scrap, clamped down, drill a 19mm hole in it, only 5mm deep.
leave it clamped and bung your spacer in it, change the bit to a 1/4 inch and you are automatically cnetred.
next time, put your 19mm bit in the drill, put the jig under it so it is centred using the 19mm bit, change the bit and away you go.

AUSSIE
6th February 2009, 12:36 PM
I added more about 11.30 sorry guys

I for one cant understand what you are trying to say.

I added more about 11.30AM
Sorry guys
Shouldnt be too hard if I understand you. You are only drilling a hole 22mm deep in the center off 19mm dowel.
Is that right?
I see you have a drill press,so I assume you have a vise to suit.
A Machine Vise,I think they are called
They have a v machined in them
Have you got good brad point drills?
Mark one piece of dowel in the centre
Position it in your vise and slide under yout drill.
bring your B/P drill down and matchit to the center mark on the dowel.
Clamp the Vise to the Drill table in at least 2 places,so there is no movement.
Drill dowel.
Each time you place a dowel in vise,all you need to do is place it in the groove and tighten it then drill it.
Does this help

forunna
6th February 2009, 07:43 PM
We appear to be envisioning a different process.
I'm thinking 22mm long section of 19mm dowel is having the enter drilled out so it is like a short pipe for a 6mm axle to go through.

We shall see who has the correct vision. :-)

AUSSIE
6th February 2009, 08:44 PM
We appear to be envisioning a different process.
I'm thinking 22mm long section of 19mm dowel is having the enter drilled out so it is like a short pipe for a 6mm axle to go through.

We shall see who has the correct vision. :-)\\
I think we are on the same bus.Mark the centre of the 19mm dowel and dril a hole in it.remove from vice and replace with another and drill that.Do a couple of 100 in an hour no trouble See the vertical groove ,this will locate the dowel.Only thing if you dont own one of these it maybe dearer than a wood lathe-- $399 at Hare & Forbes
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/images/22148.jpeg

dancameron0
8th February 2009, 05:52 AM
Hi a
A while back I did the same type of job using a hand-held drill and a jig. To make the jig I purchased a steel drill bushing 1/4 inch ID x 1 inch long. I clamped a 2 inch thick chunk of hardwood to the drill press table and drilled through with a bit the same as the OD of the bushing. Then I drilled about 1 inch deep with a 3/4 inch bit (the diameter of my dowels) and pressed the drill bushing into the block. To use the jig, I pushed the block onto the end of a long dowel, drilled a 1/4 hole at least deep enough, pulled the dowel out and THEN cut the drilled dowel piece to length. In case it isn't obvious, you need a long drill bushing and a deep 3/4 inch hole in the block to keep the drill aligned axially with the dowel. Also, there is a little waste piece at the end of each dowel, which would be a bear to remove from the jig if you tried to use it. I clamped a quick-release drill vise onto my table saw to hold the dowel while I drilled so I was right there to do the cutoff.

I hope this makes sense to you. I was in your fair city 10 days ago and I may well be suffering from fried brain. 106 degrees F--sheesh!

Dan

Yonnee
15th February 2009, 08:16 AM
I hope this makes sense to you. I was in your fair city 10 days ago and I may well be suffering from fried brain. 106 degrees F--sheesh!

Dan

Lucky you weren't in Melbourne Sat. Feb 7... 117*F :o