PDA

View Full Version : 1st big project

Out Numbered
23rd January 2009, 03:42 AM
All I have posted on here is band saw boxes, so I thought I would see what ya’ll think of my 1st large project.

I started this crib about 6 months ago, and finished it about 1 week after my 1st grand-daughter was born. I wanted her to have something no one else had. So I went a little overboard with the design. I wanted to make something that did not have any metal in it anywhere. Thought a knock down would be best to do. For the ends I used Black Walnut for the frame and legs and the raised panels are White Oak. On the bottom sides it is Black Walnut for the frame again, and the weaves have a combination of White Oak, Eastern Red Cedar, Pecan, Black Walnut, Cypress and 1 strip of Pupleheart. Each of the strips were 3/32”, woven together then glued to a square piece of Birch plywood. The top of the side is also a mixture of White Oak, Eastern Red Cedar, Pecan, Black Walnut, and Cypress. This was the one trickiest part of all of it, because again I wanted a weave look, so lots of half laps were done then it was hard to make sure all the tenons lined up with the mortises. The hinges were my 1st attempt at any type of wooden hinge. Made of White Oak and doweled to the frames. The latch is a Purpleheart dowel with a Oak dowel drilled in to it. The slates for the bottom were made of Black Walnut and Cypress, with the pins of the same, just switched around to show contrast. The finish is 2 coats of Danish oil.

There were all kinds of issues that happen along the way, some of the weave pieces broke when I was weaving them. Had to cut a new top rail, because when trying fit all the tenons in the mortises, they did not all line up right so it broke the rail in half in the dry fit. To fix, I tweaked the half laps so the line up would be better. When cutting the bottom slats mortises made one of the outside a 3” mortise instead of 2” like the rest, so decided to make the all outside one’s 3” and the rest 2” long. But I learn a whole bunch from this and now cannot wait to start on the next project, but have to wait till the weather here warms up a little. It has been freezing cold one day and warm the next, and since I don’t have a shed to work in all my woodworking is done on the back porch.

Please let me know what ya’ll think.

Wood Borer
23rd January 2009, 06:44 AM
Fantastic design. I'm sure the little one will spend hour after hour looking at the fine work with the contrasting colours and the interesting shapes.

Far far better than some cold bland and uninteresting commercial crib.:2tsup:

The Bleeder
23rd January 2009, 06:55 AM
Very impressive.

Wongo
23rd January 2009, 09:10 AM
That is very nice. Why don't you talk some nice photos and send them to FWW to try your luck with the readers gallery.

:2tsup:

Small Space
23rd January 2009, 01:16 PM
That is an amazing cot/crib and definately something worth showing off. I like the creativity and balance of the different timber colours.
Having a daughter currently at 1.5yrs, made me think the latching mechanism may be something curious little hands and minds might play with and undo.
But then again kids only do that to get out of the boring mass produced consumer models and yours will keep them curious for years to come.

Well done :2tsup:

artme
23rd January 2009, 08:42 PM
One very handsome piece indeed.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Out Numbered
24th January 2009, 01:11 AM
Thanks for all the kind words ya’ll.

Small Space, the latch is something that concerns me a little. Hopefully, by the time she starts to try and move it around, it will be time to change the side out from crib to toddler bed, which I will have to build at a later time.

Wongo, maybe one day I will get the nerve up to send it in to FWW.

missionaryman
30th January 2009, 08:36 PM
wow very nice, I really like the blend of different woods used

thkoutsidthebox
7th February 2009, 07:54 AM
Thats a fantastic piece of workmanship. Really beautiful.

clare
7th February 2009, 08:56 AM
That is the most beautiful cot I've ever seen:o:2tsup::2tsup: Weldone out numbered. What superb work-the design is so unusual, and I love the reference to woven wicker, which was traditionally used for cribs of course (watch out Mosses!) The use of so many different timbers is wonderful as is the lack of 'gendering'. I love it! :D

Out Numbered
10th February 2009, 02:03 AM
Again, thanks for the kind words. Coming from everyone here it makes me feel good about my choices, since everyone here is so good at what they do.

Clare, I did not know that woven wicker was traditionally used in cribs (interesting). Also I wanted to make sure that this could be handed down over the generations, so wanted to make something that could be used for either girl or boy.