PDA

View Full Version : Hot dip gal over hot dip gal

jatt
23rd January 2009, 07:15 AM
Am wondering if an item, in this case a new boat trailer that has been hot dip galvanised, be put back into the bath as is.

The reason behind this question is I am in the process of attaching a frame to the top. Because of the weight involved in the finished article I needed to attach some extra supports underneith as well as on top of the trailer frame. Therefore I cant simply dip the frame as separate piece.

Understand would have to prepare the primed steel on my frame prior to dipping.

Any idea what would happen to the original gal on the trailer? Could this be done successfuly without removing the old gal?

Grahame Collins
23rd January 2009, 07:29 AM
Hi Jatt,
I know some items like anchors can be double dipped. I recall the process calls for the job to be weathered for a while,before the second dip as you get a better application.

The dimensions of the dip bath will likely be the factor that could limit your project.

A phone call to your hot dip gal vendor will sort that question out.

Grahame

Stevenp
23rd January 2009, 07:51 AM
G'day, a mate of mine had a boat trailer regalled under warranty last year and I am pretty sure it was dipped in acid (Mild) and then galled.came up better than when it was new.:2tsup:
Chers Steven

Kody
25th January 2009, 03:39 PM
Hi jatt

Am wondering if an item, in this case a new boat trailer that has been hot dip galvanised, be put back into the bath as is.

You have refered to a new boat trailer that you want to modify. Be aware that when you modify a new trailer that you will blow your waranty away. I would advise that you contact the trailer manufacturer and check if the modifications will make the waranty null and void before you do anything.

I made some modifications to my "out of warranty" boat trailer and used gal pipe for the parts. Where I welded the parts to the trailer I had to grind off all the existing galvanizing before any welding could take place. For a weld of integrity, I recommend you do the same. After I completed the welding, I scrubbed the areas with a wire brush and painted the areas of weld with cold-gal. This has worked out perfectly and may be a viable alternative for you.

Kody

jatt
25th January 2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks all for suggestions and advice. Always greatly appreciated.

Would be interested to know if having identical wheel bearings for both Ford and Holden stub axles (trailer) is a new thing or whether this has been as such for ages. Great for me as I had to purchase both kinds recently for a couple of projects.

As for the warranty on this trailer, I blew that away the moment I changed the axle and replaced the springs. Went 50 mm RHS, 4mm wall for axle and 5 leaf. Here are some pics of my progress.