PDA

View Full Version : Does Soatoz still sell tools?

Absinthesis
23rd January 2009, 01:30 PM
Hi,

Outside of this forum, I do not have any contact information for 'Soatoz.' His site indicates he will be away until February, but suggests he may no longer be selling tools at all. Any help would be appreciated because I won't be in Japan anytime soon...

Thanks!

Sheets
23rd January 2009, 02:03 PM
I don't see any indication (on the website) that So won't return to normal after his winter break. His email is there, so give him a shout and ask. Be prepared to wait, as he says, but he will get back to you.

Steve

Studley 2436
29th January 2009, 11:32 AM
I am about to put up a post in the for sale section, "Studley's Workshop" I have a good number of Japanese planes and some blades as well. Most of the planes are the Japanese white oak but some are ones I have made from Aussie hardwood to take the Japanese blades.

Don't accuse me of blasphemy but I think the Aussie gum makes a better plane than the Japanese Oak.

Studley

Sheets
29th January 2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the heads-up, Studley. Lots of wood(s) make suitable dai for kanna (or bodies for other types of planes). Of course, lots of wood(s) (different from the ones that are suitable) also aren't suitable.

Steve

Studley 2436
29th January 2009, 12:04 PM
No worries Steve. I will let them go for $50 AUD a pop. I could go through the ebay thing and get $150 to $200 for them going on past experience but it is more of a dump them fast and furious for me right now.

Are you the Steve I had a pretty long discussion with back whenever it was about steel and the various qualities of steel? There was some other member, can I say woman without being sexist *L*, who was really enjoying the stuff we wrote back and forth.

Studley

Sheets
29th January 2009, 12:10 PM
Aye, 'tis I. That was a great discussion. Its been weirdly quiet these days (on other forums, too). I wonder what's going on? Maybe the economy has people distracted.

Steve

Studley 2436
29th January 2009, 12:17 PM
Yeah I enjoyed that one a lot as well. Dunno about the quiet thing for me I have been through a tough year with a divorce etc and wasn't making much. Now it all changes for me and so I end up selling the lot.

Life can be funny

Studley

Sheets
29th January 2009, 12:59 PM
Sorry to hear that. Keep your chin up.

Steve

Studley 2436
29th January 2009, 01:10 PM
You get that Steve. For sure I saw the depths but am in much better spirits thesedays.

Studley

yojimbo
29th January 2009, 11:55 PM
Was that me? Involved in that discussion? I seem to remember it... Haven't been here much... been a bad year here too... but glad to see Sheets is up and running!

Studley 2436
30th January 2009, 12:01 AM
could have been. We talked about the various qualities of steel the good things about the Japanese blades, the genius of the smiths who solved the problem by laminating two different metals together.

Studley

yojimbo
30th January 2009, 12:12 AM
I believe 'twas me. We also veered off into a bit of "soul of the creator" stuff...? Brief discussion of esoteric qualities of craftsmanship versus pure knowledge?

Sheets
4th February 2009, 05:35 AM
Just checked So's website and he's back in action, but will be bogged down for a while with sorting out his inbox.

Becky, what's new?

Steve

yojimbo
4th February 2009, 07:31 AM
Howdy, Steve -- haven't been able to work much. Building new workshop (as you may recall... unless I never said that, in which case you shouldn't recall it at all), and until it's done I have only a very small, poorly heated (make that barely heated) space to work in. Have lost many days to a recurrent knee injury (how ticked am I about that?!), and it being too damned cold for chemicals -- or me -- to work out there.

So... slowly going broke while watching wonderful new shop go up.

Things will be better in a few months when it's finished -- if I can hold out that long. REALLY need to earn some bucks.

How're you?

Sheets
4th February 2009, 07:58 AM
Well so far can claim to be untouched by the economy (not so hard for me as I don't make my living off my hobby). But must conserve in these uncertain times. Well, I'm used to seeing stuff I want but can't have anyway:~

So nothing exciting to say. Just plugging along and so far no complaints. I hope you can outlast this "economy". I know a lot of others are feeling the strain too.

I'm going to take one of Studley's kanna since the price is right.

Have you been over to the JWW forum? A little more activity there lately.

Anyway, hang in there and good luck with the new shop.

Steve

yojimbo
4th February 2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks, Steve. Haven't been to JWW lately. Will take a look.

Irony is I have plenty of work: just can't do it.

Ah, well...

Very glad to hear you're holding your own.

Talk soon!

NeilS
5th February 2009, 10:12 AM
Howdy, Steve -- haven't been able to work much. Building new workshop.....

Becky - any chance of a preview of plans or construction in progress pics. We are not only tool junkies on this forum, we are also into workshops... :).

Neil

yojimbo
5th February 2009, 10:27 AM
Glad to... if you can remind me how to post photos! I have a photobucket account, but as I remember, last time I managed to post only thumbnails... then someone (Steve?) told me how to connect to the page directly...

Help!

Studley 2436
5th February 2009, 11:02 AM
Price is right!?!!?!!!? I reckon this is one of those all time bargains.

Studley

Sheets
5th February 2009, 11:10 AM
Becky,

Upload your pics to Photobucket, click on those you want to display here (one at a time, so they open full size), open the pic in a new window, copy the link in the address bar and then paste that link here on the forum. You can check the links by opening a new browser window and pasting in your link - it should display only that pic (no other parts of your Photobucket album).

If I can figure it out....(I'm sure there is an easier way:?)

Studley,

Yes the price is right :2tsup: (meaning well into the bargain category. Next best thing would be that they were free:D)

Steve

p.s., I'll take good care of it. When you can work out the details (you are probably busier than the proverbial one-armed-paper hanger), give me a shout.

yojimbo
5th February 2009, 11:40 AM
Okay.. it's telling me all my URLs are invalid... tried from the actual address bar and from photobucket's link...:~

(http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd327/yojimbo_pix/?action=view&current=256.jpg)

Sheets
5th February 2009, 12:14 PM
Well, I'm not sure why it won't work for you. Another option maybe to put all the pics you want to show into a slide show. Open the slideshow in a new window and copy and paste that link?
Never mind, I tried that and clicking on any pic in the slideshow opens my album in Photobucket (so all the pics in that album are accessible to view. So, what I did was click on the pics in the slideshow window (one by one - there must be a better way?) and then open in a new window, copy and paste the link.

Steve

NeilS
5th February 2009, 01:52 PM
I have always had extra hassles embedding images in the body of the text, mainly with the size of the image. They seem to end up being either too small or too large.

Uploading attachment to your posting may not be as spiffy as embedding images in your posting, but it is relatively easy and quick. Just keep the file size below 100k and 800 pix wide.

Thanks for giving it a go, Becky.

Neil

yojimbo
6th February 2009, 12:31 AM
I'll try again later today or tomorrow -- kind of tied up today.

Will try making smaller copies of pics in my own files and embedding from there...

Thanks, guys.

Becky