PDA

View Full Version : Headstock handwheel

Woodwould
23rd January 2009, 03:05 PM
My MC1100 lathe is now up and running (thanks to and Tea Lady for doing the grunting), and the first thing I noticed is there's no handwheel (or indexing ring) on the headstock spindle.

I realise not all lathes have such a device, but my two previous lathes did (the big brute's indexing wheel was part of the spindle and I attached a similar wheel to my smaller lathe).

I find when turning fine spindles for chairs etc., that the small diameter of the spindle makes it difficult for someone with malfunctioning hands to grip the work and turn it for checking the finish and clearance of tool rests etc. A smooth handwheel/indexing wheel also makes a convenient hand-powered disc brake having first switched off the lathe first!

So, what I looked at was using the 6" faceplate (a little on the small side) that came as part of the lathe package and mounting it on the spindle the wrong way round i.e. with the face of the plate closest to the headstock.

The first problem I encountered was the snout on the faceplate is far longer than necessary (about twice as long as the threads on the spindle) and as a result, it would interfere with the larger of the Stebcentres I have.

The second issue would be of safety and comfort if I modified the faceplate and shortened the snout. The faceplate is somewhat thin and has several holes for screwing to workpieces. I've already chamfered all the holes just as part of good housekeeping/fine-tuning the lathe, but even so, a finger could get caught...

I will have the need for an indexing wheel when I get around to making some reeded chair legs etc., so a 200mm diameter wheel is on the 'must have' list. I thought while I was at it that I may as well have one made with a nice 10mm radiused and polished rim to be both safe and comfortable in the hand.

I haven't given any thought yet as to who I will ask to make such a wheel, but I thought I'd air my thoughts here first incase anyone else wants one and whether it would be worth having a few more made while I'm at it.

Robomanic
23rd January 2009, 03:42 PM
My 1100's drive shaft actually protrudes from the bearing by about 60mm before the shoulder starts, then the thread. I have wanted to put an indexing head/hand wheel here. Would that fit on yours? My dads is also an 1100 but slightly different shaft and it does not protrude....

Good luck with it, you are not the only one who wanted a hand wheel.

Woodwould
23rd January 2009, 06:36 PM
My lathe sounds similar to yours; there's about 60mm of shaft outside the bearing before the shoulder and thread.

As a temporary measure, I might see if I can get the surplus length parted off the faceplate's snout so the whole thing will sit slightly behind the Stebcentre. At least I would have a handwheel.

A purpose-made indexing wheel/handwheel might have to wait until I can speak to my tame machinist.

Robomanic
23rd January 2009, 07:02 PM
Just don't forget to feed him something nice, once tamed they are invaluable!

Grumpy John
24th January 2009, 08:07 AM
Just don't forget to feed him something nice, once tamed they are invaluable!

That's true Shannon, but their owners get real narky if they happen to switch jobs and lose access to lathes and milling machines DAMHIKT :D.